'Prometheus' offers oozing sci-fi spectacle, early reviews say...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steven R
    replied
    Re: 'Prometheus' offers oozing sci-fi spectacle, early reviews say...

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
    You have him confused with a guy who knows sh_t about movies.
    That man wrote Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. If that man doesn't know anything about movies, who does I ask you...who does?

Leave a comment:

• MacG
    replied

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
    Ebert just scored it four stars... whaaaa?
    Ebert has zero credibility when it comes to objectively scoring science-fiction. Dude gave four stars to AVATAR and STRANGE DAYS, for fvck's sake.

Leave a comment:

• rjb
    replied

Wasnt perfect, but best sci-fi movie ive seen in a long, long time.

Leave a comment:

• Biohazard
    replied

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
    You have him confused with a guy who knows sh_t about movies.

Leave a comment:

• Rhodi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Signal30
    replied

Anyone else get a Dr. Manhattan vibe from the space jockey? 'Cause that makes the squid attack towards the end sort of entertaining...

Leave a comment:

• sherbetbizarre
    replied

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
    Prometheus: We're going across the universe in search of the origins of humanity. Let's send the dumbest scientists we have.
    yes...

http://digitaldigging.net/prometheus...l-perspective/

Leave a comment:

• UnequalProductions
    replied

Prometheus: We're going across the universe in search of the origins of humanity. Let's send the dumbest scientists we have.

Leave a comment:

• SabreScribe
    replied

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
    This thread is the reason I stayed home and watched Jersey Shore Shark Attack instead of going out to see Prometheus.
    You've made the right choice.

Leave a comment:

• Biohazard
    replied

Originally posted by Ire View Post
    Too many ideas...
    And not one of them was 'write a fundamentally sound screenplay'.

How f_cking sad is that?

Leave a comment:

• Steven R
    replied

Originally posted by Republic of Stephen View Post
    Prometheus is by far Ridley Scott's worst movie.

The story has nothing new to offer, there's absolutely nothing in the story that you haven't seen before-what was the point of making this movie?

The characters? Well, the human characters aren't very bright, it seems that Weyland Industries uses the same criteria as Walmart when it comes to hiring people. And the "godlike" extra-terrestrial being? ****SPOILER*** He's a bit of a mindless thug, not at all impressive.

The only exception is the synthetic David (Michael Fassbender) who is mesmerizing to watch at times. There's one scene where he's mimicking a scene from Lawrence of Arabia, another where he's riding a bike and shooting hoops at the same time, so much talent, so much potential... unfortunately the writer squanders all that potential by ****SPOILER*** sending him to the exact same fate as the synthetic in Aliens. Seriously, the writer is an absolute wanker who has never had an original thought in his life.

This is how ****ed up this movie is: the humans do the work that machines should be doing, and the machines do the work that human beings should be doing. How on earth did the writer get that backwards-the other Alien movies didn't!!! In Alien, the crew members try to remove the endoparasitoid from Kane's body, but they stop when they realize that it will kill him if they do-it's a judgement call, and it's something only a human being is capable of making, the Nostromo crew didn't rely on an automated machine that cuts people open and tinkers with your insides because no sane person would want to go near anything like that. In Aliens, a salvage crew sends in a probe to investigate Ripley's escape pod. They didn't send in a person because they had no idea what was there. That's being safe, that's being logical and reasonable. The writer is anything but logical when it comes to human behaviour. You don't put humans into unknown and potentially dangerous environments when you can easily send in a probe. Same goes for medicine. Would anyone like to be operated on by an appliance instead of another living breathing human being that appreciates life and knows what pain feels like? Clearly, some jobs are better left for people to do, other's for machines to do, and clearly the writer has no idea which is what. There's a core thoughtlessness to this writer's work that you have to think that the only reason why Ridley Scott found this script acceptable is because he's not really a filmmaker, no, he's a commercial director that has been very lucky that some great script have fallen on his lap. Prometheus wasn't one of them.
    You know, it's movies like these that really bring me down, not because they are so bad, but because I'm constantly told only they best and brightest get their work read much less made. If a stinky cinematic suppository like this gets made, even with the massive lapses in logic and plot holes I could drive a truck through, and my stuff isn't even close enough to this good, then just how craptacular is my writing?

I keep getting told I'm not in Hollywood because my work isn't that good and then I see what utter pap is put out and I just feel so depressed I could eat a bottle of Cheez Whiz.

Leave a comment:

• emily blake
    replied

This thread is the reason I stayed home and watched Jersey Shore Shark Attack instead of going out to see Prometheus.

Leave a comment:

• Signal30
    replied

Originally posted by kirkbyoung View Post
    It was kind of what I thought it would be, but also not at all. And I loved it. For those who have seen it, whatever your reaction, this post that Damon retweeted is really really interesting: http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html
    So Scott shoehorned his underlying subtext and motifs in at the cost of a cohesive narrative. That kind of makes it worse.

Leave a comment:

• Ire
    replied

I will put a caveat that I think I should use for every movie I find disappointing. And this one qualifies. The caveat is I don't know if I could have done better with the speculation as to how the script was developed.

But seriously wtf?

Rating it based on expectations: 1 out of 5 stars.

Rating it minus the expectations (if possible): 2.5 out of 5 stars

I'm glad I wasn't looking for any answers with Prometheus. I was however looking to be substantially entertained. A movie stealing performance by Michael Fassbender and gorgeous cinematography wasn't enough. To note, I thought Noomi Rapace was also decent, but compared to Fassbender's character, her character was a supporting role. Actually, it was movie of supporting characters, NOT AN ENSEMBLE, just supporting characters, some less supporting than others.

Although it had me with all of the freaking set-ups for the first half of the movie, it LOST me. It lost me with what felt like a disjointed narrative. It lost me with characters for which I didn't care that much or in which I was not interested. The latter issue is kind of big for me. David and Noomi's character, some bland character name that didn't stick, was nearly the exception, but by the second half of the movie I was too distracted to care.

I totally agree that it had a first draft feel. Ideas were flying left and right, but nothing felt cohesive or complete as a narrative. It's like there was no internal logic agreed upon. I don't know where Spaihts went with it or what Lindelof or Scott added into the mix, but it would seem that this project had POTENTIAL.

So Scott said "yes, this script is ready?" All of the producers agreed it was ready? For all of the cachet that the project had and money to be spent why would they settle?

All the potential. All the potential.

To me that is why this film was all the more frustrating to watch: POTENTIAL. For all of the criticism Scott gets, he's always had potential to turn out a 3 to 4 star movie. This subject was in his wheelhouse. And POP there it is. It's up there way up there. ...It's a fly ball to the second basemen for the last out of the game.

*Shaw. A possible Doctor Who reference? Too many ideas, none of them unifying.
    Last edited by Ire; 06-12-2012, 02:21 AM. Reason: caps for dramatic effect

Leave a comment:

• ScriptGal
    replied

Originally posted by Steven L. View Post
    Major disappointment for my twelve fitty.
    +1 but only $8.25. In L.A., no less.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X