'Prometheus' offers oozing sci-fi spectacle, early reviews say...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conz
    replied
    Re: 'Prometheus' offers oozing sci-fi spectacle, early reviews say...

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
    It's can't possibly be more boring than Blade Runner.
    im glad im not the only one who feels this way. I usually get the eye roll, like in order to be a fan of movies, you have to love Blade Runner. Granted, I'm 27 and I watched in for the first time a few years ago, but i hate everything about it.

Leave a comment:

• SNAFU
    replied

Originally posted by Kwinnky View Post
    I actually had high hopes for this.

We all did. Hence the anger.

Leave a comment:

• Kwinnky
    replied

Despite a lot of instances of returning to a franchise resulting in crap, I actually had high hopes for this.

When will I learn hope is stupid?

Leave a comment:

• SNAFU
    replied

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
    Twitch calls-out the screenwriter...

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/06/a...n-lindelof.php
    This:

'Bad' is too kind a word for (Lindelhof's) script on this enormous disappointment. The (script's) failings? The litany of bizarre decisions made purely to push the film to the next set piece regardless of whether they make any sense? The complete failure to develop any of the characters to any satisfying degree? The total lack of understanding that making a movie about supposedly Big Ideas involves actually having some Big Ideas rather than simply having your characters say "I'm chasing the Big Idea"?

And then there's the complete lack of actual HORROR and DREAD and SUSPENSE.

Otherwise, it was awesome!

Leave a comment:

• Biohazard
    replied

Originally posted by Recreant View Post
    Also saw a midnight screening and one word kept coming to mind:

Amateurish.

There's just so many things wrong with this film I don't even know where to start... It would take too long to describe this utter failure.
    In other words...directed by Ridley Scott.

Leave a comment:

• sherbetbizarre
    replied

Twitch calls-out the screenwriter...

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/06/a...n-lindelof.php

Leave a comment:

• CrackDown
    replied

'Neil deGrasse Tyson‏@neiltyson
    Prometheus goes 35 light yrs into space, but Charlize Theron gaffes "We're a half billion miles from Earth" - just past Jupiter'

How did the writers miss that one? Jeez. LAZY.

Leave a comment:

• Takeshiro
    replied

Originally posted by SNAFU View Post
    At the end of this stinker, people BOOED and JEERED.

Seriously.
    In France, we laughed, a lot.

Leave a comment:

• SNAFU
    replied

At the end of this stinker, people BOOED and JEERED.

Seriously.

Leave a comment:

• Recreant
    replied

Also saw a midnight screening and one word kept coming to mind:

Amateurish.

There's just so many things wrong with this film I don't even know where to start... It would take too long to describe this utter failure.

Spoiler? vvv

I don't think I've ever cringed so many times during a movie and it wasn't from any scares it was from dialogue or weird character choices. OMG OMG this tunnel is so scary I just want to get out of-- wait, let me pet that threatening alien. Noooo!!!!

Leave a comment:

• SNAFU
    replied

Just saw a midnight screening.

UTTER RUBBISH.

This is Phantom Menace and Indy 4 combined...a complete disgrace to fans.

Thirty-odd years and what a horrific let-down.

RS, you are a perfect example of everything that is greedy, stupid, venal, lazy and mendacious about Hollywood.

I hope the paycheck was worth it.

One more thing: you have a ton of nerve talking smack about the ALIEN sequels and the AvP spin-offs--this was equally awful, if not WORSE.
    Last edited by SNAFU; 06-07-2012, 11:33 PM. Reason: More venting...

Leave a comment:

• Biohazard
    replied

Originally posted by Republic of Stephen View Post
    Prometheus is by far Ridley Scott's worst movie.
    It's can't possibly be more boring than Blade Runner.

Leave a comment:

• Why One
    replied

Laser eye surgery is automated.

But my impression was that the medical tube was for emergencies only e.g. if there was no available med crew left. Pretty cool idea I thought.

Leave a comment:

• YakMan
    replied

Originally posted by Republic of Stephen View Post
    Prometheus the Nostromo crew didn't rely on an automated machine that cuts people open and tinkers with your insides because no sane person would want to go near anything like that.

... Would anyone like to be operated on by an appliance instead of another living breathing human being that appreciates life and knows what pain feels like? Clearly, some jobs are better left for people to do, other's for machines to do, and clearly the writer has no idea which is what. .
    Errr...ummm...I'm not getting this... Robotic surgery has been widely accepted and performed since 2005...why wouldn't the writer be allowed to present an Automaton practicing AI surgery???

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...4119_mz070.htm
    Last edited by YakMan; 06-07-2012, 07:27 AM. Reason: Clarity with a capital "C"

Leave a comment:

• Republic of Stephen
    replied

Prometheus is by far Ridley Scott's worst movie.

The story has nothing new to offer, there's absolutely nothing in the story that you haven't seen before—what was the point of making this movie?

The characters? Well, the human characters aren't very bright, it seems that Weyland Industries uses the same criteria as Walmart when it comes to hiring people. And the "godlike" extra-terrestrial being? ****SPOILER*** He's a bit of a mindless thug, not at all impressive.

The only exception is the synthetic David (Michael Fassbender) who is mesmerizing to watch at times. There's one scene where he's mimicking a scene from Lawrence of Arabia, another where he's riding a bike and shooting hoops at the same time, so much talent, so much potential... unfortunately the writer squanders all that potential by ****SPOILER*** sending him to the exact same fate as the synthetic in Aliens. Seriously, the writer is an absolute wanker who has never had an original thought in his life.

This is how ****ed up this movie is: the humans do the work that machines should be doing, and the machines do the work that human beings should be doing. How on earth did the writer get that backwards—the other Alien movies didn't!!! In Alien, the crew members try to remove the endoparasitoid from Kane's body, but they stop when they realize that it will kill him if they do—it's a judgement call, and it's something only a human being is capable of making, the Nostromo crew didn't rely on an automated machine that cuts people open and tinkers with your insides because no sane person would want to go near anything like that. In Aliens, a salvage crew sends in a probe to investigate Ripley's escape pod. They didn't send in a person because they had no idea what was there. That's being safe, that's being logical and reasonable. The writer is anything but logical when it comes to human behaviour. You don't put humans into unknown and potentially dangerous environments when you can easily send in a probe. Same goes for medicine. Would anyone like to be operated on by an appliance instead of another living breathing human being that appreciates life and knows what pain feels like? Clearly, some jobs are better left for people to do, other's for machines to do, and clearly the writer has no idea which is what. There's a core thoughtlessness to this writer's work that you have to think that the only reason why Ridley Scott found this script acceptable is because he's not really a filmmaker, no, he's a commercial director that has been very lucky that some great script have fallen on his lap. Prometheus wasn't one of them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X