'Prometheus' offers oozing sci-fi spectacle, early reviews say...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YakMan
    replied
    Re: 'Prometheus' offers oozing sci-fi spectacle, early reviews say...

Awww c'mon...I'll be seein' it this weekend...aren't there at least one 'er two "tears in rain" moments to look forward to???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_saUN4j7Gw

Leave a comment:

• SNAFU
    replied

Originally posted by Takeshiro View Post
    The characters were pretty flat, the whole movie was filled of incoherences and plot holes...
    Business as usual.

Leave a comment:

• Takeshiro
    replied

The SFX were nice. The "world" was intriguing.

The characters were pretty flat, the whole movie was filled of incoherences and plot holes, and it felt like a bad TV episode at some moments.

Not a great, even a "meh" movie.

Leave a comment:

• SteveLilley
    replied

At least *some* of that is on the page. I'll give you that the performers outshine the written word in almost every conceivable way, but they all have written character moments. Kane and Parker are dirtbags, Ripley has that awesome scene where she tries to make the decision not to let them back onto the ship, Ash is really interesting once you know he's an android (in retrospect, I mean, especially the decisions he's making early on), etc.

Leave a comment:

• Biohazard
    replied

Originally posted by SteveLilley View Post
    ALIEN has awesome characters...
    I disagree with that. It's the actors that are great. The characters themselves are incredibly flat and generic. Nobody has any personality, no personal goals, no point of view, no identifying traits, etc. It's like watching a bunch of strangers, even after seeing the movie 12 times.

Aliens, on the other hand...

Leave a comment:

• SteveLilley
    replied

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
    In other words...directed by Ridley Scott.

Yeah, exactly. Now, I haven't seen PROMETHEUS yet, and I might take a little crap for this, but of all the aspects of ALIEN that should be thought of as "amazing" - I've never considered "story" to be one of them. It's pretty straightforward.

ALIEN has awesome characters, great performances, unique visuals and impeccable direction - but the actual story is basically "What is that thing and why is it killing everyone? Nevermind, most of us are dead now. Balls."

Leave a comment:

• TheConnorNoden
    replied

I never quite understood all the hate for Lindelof. Hopefully seeing this later in the week.

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied

Take two buckets Bill, one to vomit in and one to **** in.

I think the film is going to be just too intense for some people.

Leave a comment:

• wcmartell
    replied

I read one of Von Daniken's later works, TUPPERWARE OF THE GODS, which explains how ancient astronauts came to Earth and had Tupperware parties with the Mayans and the Egyptians - which explains why stone carvings showing Tupperware bowls exist all over the world.

Reviews seem iffy, but I'm there opening weekend.

- Bill

Leave a comment:

• NoirDigits
    replied

Lost?

Leave a comment:

• fanatic_about_film
    replied

I'd love to know HOW and WHY Damon Lindelof got involved with Prometheus.

The story he tells was that his agent called him to say that Ridley Scott would be calling him in the next five minutes to talk about 'something'. And sure enough Ridley did, and they immediately started talking about a prequel to Alien.

So, within this process, why and how did it land On Lindelof's doorstep? Who made the decision let's go with Lindelof? How and why was that decision made?

Did Ridley Scott, just out of the blue, decide that a guy call Damon Lindelof would be a good fit for the piece?

I really want to know this.

Leave a comment:

• CthulhuRises
    replied
    Re: "Prometheus" Story

Originally posted by Fortean View Post
    Ridley Scott has mentioned Von Daniken's ancient astronauts as an inspiration for the story, with an alien civilization being responsible for the rise of mankind. Others have speculated upon this idea, going back to Lovecraft, (with Guillermo Del Toro's adaptation of AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS getting dropped due to story similarities); yet, I'd point out that Charles Hoy Fort was an early proponent of this idea.

Simple question to those who've seen the film: Anyone in the film ever mention Charles Fort's name?
    At least Charles Fort had a legitimate interest in research and science. Von Daniken was nothing short of a charlatan (and a greedy hotel mogul). His "work" is nothing short of science-fiction.

Leave a comment:

• CthulhuRises
    replied

It's at 82% right now on RT. I wouldn't exactly call that "mixed"...

Not saying there haven't been negative reviews, but on the whole, it seems like a mostly positive reception thus far.

Leave a comment:

• JamesNI
    replied

I didn't get the horrific elements... I think I know when and where they where in the movie but it never left me horrified nor startled. In my opinion... and potential spoilers here, I think unknown chestbusting in Alien was more horrific than known medical c-section removal of crazy squid being!

Leave a comment:

• Biohazard
    replied

Originally posted by moviefan View Post
    Most of the negative reviews say it looks amazing but the story is rather hollow and the characters are not engaging enough.
    In other words...directed by Ridley Scott.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X