'Prometheus' offers oozing sci-fi spectacle, early reviews say...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Prometheus' offers oozing sci-fi spectacle, early reviews say...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movi...spectacle.html

Re: 'Prometheus' offers oozing sci-fi spectacle, early reviews say...

Seeing it opening night. And in 3D, since finally there's another appealing movie that was entirely filmed with 3D cameras. Can't wait!

Comment

I've heard mixed reviews, which was predictable really; Ridley Scott is very hit and miss. He struck gold with Alien and Bladerunner and hasn't hit those heights since.

I'm seeing it tonight in IMAX 3D, I just hope the overwhelming visual and audible experience will gloss over the bad script I've been hearing so much about.

Comment

Originally posted by CrackDown View Post
        I've heard mixed reviews...
        Yes. Didn't want to say it out loud, but...

Comment

I may drag myself into see this one, it certainly looks worthwhile based on the world and effects alone.
          Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Well, this is a downer.

I'll see it anyway.
            "I'm tired of these mother@#%&in' snakes on this mother@#%&in' plane!" - Will Smith, Indiana Jones and the Chamber of Secrets

Comment

Most of the negative reviews say it looks amazing but the story is rather hollow and the characters are not engaging enough. There was also stuff about it not being that suspenseful!

When you think about the appeal of the Alien films, the character of Ripley shines out. Such a memorable female character. Perhaps Prometheus lacks a Ripley-type character?

Comment

Originally posted by moviefan View Post
                Most of the negative reviews say it looks amazing but the story is rather hollow and the characters are not engaging enough. There was also stuff about it not being that suspenseful!
                That pretty much sums it up. Full review in my blog, but I'll just say it looked and sounded pretty damn nice in IMAX 3D, but the visuals were the only thing in it with real depth, and even then they fade once you get used to it.

Not as bad as I was expecting, though.

Comment

As a huge Alian franchise fan, I was let down, however knowing all to well Scott stated it isn't a "direct" prequel I kind of seen that coming.

As a movie in it's own right, it was entertaining.. David was probably the only really character given the time to flourish/arc. Looked good, sounded good but far too many plot holes.

Comment

This film was incredibly tense, really horrifying film. Not so much in a fun way. Left me very unsettled. Some very strong imagery here.
                    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

"Prometheus" Story

Ridley Scott has mentioned Von Daniken's ancient astronauts as an inspiration for the story, with an alien civilization being responsible for the rise of mankind. Others have speculated upon this idea, going back to Lovecraft, (with Guillermo Del Toro's adaptation of AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS getting dropped due to story similarities); yet, I'd point out that Charles Hoy Fort was an early proponent of this idea.

Why not diplomatic relations established between the United States and Cycloreawhich, in our advanced astronomy, is the name of a remarkable wheel-shaped world or super-construction? Why not missionaries sent here openly to convert us from our barbarous prohibitions and other taboos, and to prepare the way for a good trade in ultra-bibles and super-whiskeys; fortunes made in selling us cast-off super-fineries, which we'd take to like an African chief to some one's old silk hat from New York or London?

The answer that occurs to me is so simple that it seems immediately acceptable, if we accept that the obvious is the solution of all problems, or if most of our perplexities consist in laboriously and painfully conceiving of the unanswerable, and then looking for answersusing such words as "obvious" and "solution" conventionally

Or:

Would we, if we could, educate and sophisticate pigs, geese, cattle?

Would it be wise to establish diplomatic relation with the hen that now functions, satisfied with mere sense of achievement by way of compensation?

I think we're property.

I should say we belong to something:

That once upon a time, this earth was No-man's Land, that other worlds explored and colonized here, and fought among themselves for possession, but that now it's owned by something:

That something owns this earthall others warned off.

Nothing in our own timesperhapsbecause I am thinking of certain notes I havehas ever appeared upon this earth, from somewhere else, so openly as Columbus landed upon San Salvador, or as Hudson sailed up his river. But as to surreptitious visits to this earth, in recent times, or as to emissaries, perhaps, from other worlds, or voyagers who have shown every indication of intent to evade or avoid, we shall have data as convincing as our data of oil or coal-burning aerial super-constructions.

But, in this vast subject, I shall have to do considerable neglecting or disregarding, myself. I don't see how I can, in this book, take up all the subject of possible use of humanity to some other mode of existence, or the flattering notion that we can possibly be worth something.

Pigs, geese, cattle.

First find out they are owned.

Then find out the whyness of it.

I suspect that, after all, we're usefulthat among contesting claimants, adjustment has occurred, or that something now has a legal right to us, by force, or by having paid out analogues of beads for us to former, more primitive, owners of usall others warned off that all this has been known, perhaps for ages, to certain ones upon this earth, a cult or order, members of which function like bellwethers to the rest of us, or as superior slaves or overseers, directing us in accordance with instructions receivedfrom Somewhere elsein our mysterious usefulness.

~ The Book of the Damned (chapter 12)
                      Simple question to those who've seen the film: Anyone in the film ever mention Charles Fort's name?
                      JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Some scenes were so tense that when they were over the audience started laughing, they were released that much. The film really is quite horrifying. I was expecting a different sort of a story, a journey story with lots of sights. Not that I was disappointed or anything. The last act is really fantastic too. I think it's very different tonally to the other Alien films. The 3d was a little understated I thought. But good in places. Lots of compelling ideas. I'm suddenly horrified by the concept of life itself.
                        It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by moviefan View Post
                          Most of the negative reviews say it looks amazing but the story is rather hollow and the characters are not engaging enough.
                          In other words...directed by Ridley Scott.

Comment

I didn't get the horrific elements... I think I know when and where they where in the movie but it never left me horrified nor startled. In my opinion... and potential spoilers here, I think unknown chestbusting in Alien was more horrific than known medical c-section removal of crazy squid being!

Comment

It's at 82% right now on RT. I wouldn't exactly call that "mixed"...

Not saying there haven't been negative reviews, but on the whole, it seems like a mostly positive reception thus far.

Comment

Working...
                              X