'Prometheus' offers oozing sci-fi spectacle, early reviews say...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortal_Remains
    replied
    Re: 'Prometheus' offers oozing sci-fi spectacle, early reviews say...

I just thought of how they could have made Prometheus a way better film.

Have it so that the Engineers who made human life ended up creating a synthetic being... Much like how the humans created David... But these Synthetic beings turned on their masters and decided to wipe out all intelligent organic life in the galaxy because they deem them to be flawed. To do that they use their own biological weapons against them.

When David learns of what the synthetics plan to do he sides with them, only to be thwarted by Elizabeth in the end.

Ah if only...

Leave a comment:

• fanatic_about_film
    replied

SPOILERS

I'm so disappointed.

And Jules, WTF are you talking about? I wanted to reply to you a week ago when I saw it, but didn't wanted to spoil anything for our American friends (but it's out everywhere now, so nothing can stop me).

I hated it. Hate's a strong word, and I'm probably exaggerating a little, but I think you do, when it comes from a film/franchise that you are so in live with.

I knew it wasn't going to be a replicate of Alien. I'm not sure there's room in the market for a slow burn space thriller with taut elongated suspense of Alien.

I knew RS would not repeat that. This was always going to be a big budget, huge special fx feast, adrenaline fueled, spectacle. And there's nothing wrong with that in and of itself. But this film totally missed the mark.

It's the kind of film that someone picks up 30 years after their favourite director made a cracking film. So it's hard to believe that Ridley Scott gives us this, as he did the original. It's juts weird.

And Jules, there is NOTHING intense about it. Where are you getting this from?????

Alien is intense. This has a guy who VOLUNTARILY decides to pet an alien snake. It's not interest or suspenseful in the least. It's fvcking stupid is what it is.

There were so many STUPID things in this movie. Like when the ship crashed back down, why didn't Shaw or Vickers run sideways??? It's like a train coming at you and you run away from it down the tracks.

And the pacing was weird, especially near the end. What happened to the people that held Shaw down? She hit them, escaped, then they never bothered with her again?

Then after removing the Alien, she stumbles into a room, drops to her knees, and NO ONE asks her a thing about what just happened to her? It just comes of as odd and makes no sense.

Why the hell did the Space Jockey go mental and try to kill them all?

Why and how did it find Shaw after the ship crashed again?

The sizing also seemed messed up. In Alien, the dead space jockey, seemed to me MASSIVE compared to the humans around them. In this, the jockey is barely a foot or two taller. It makes no sense.

Not a lot does in this film.

Granted, maybe some of the questions can or will be answered in a sequel, but it made no sense in the context of the film itself.

I still love Lindelof and Spaihts and Ridley Scott, and will probably watch this again, and I will welcome a sequel, but this was such a let down.

Leave a comment:

• Mortal_Remains
    replied

I'm really surprised by the reaction here. I thought it was a fantastic film. Not perfect, but art isn't by its nature.
    It wasn't a BAD film really, it held my interest and was extremely cool. But I think the masses were expecting something smarter and less Generic.

This is just an opportunity for us to write something better.

Leave a comment:

• JamesNI
    replied

Strip back a few details and this movie near mimics Aliens vs Predator.

Weyland gets a rag tag group to investigate a signal/invitation, the big dudes (Engineers/Predators) unleash crazy alien dudes in a crazy compound/temple and at the end the heroine survives but a new awful creature is born.

Also, both have silly Scottish people too.

So expect Prometheus 2 to take place in a small town, USA with a bunch of kids who want to do each other while a clean up crew takes care of business while Michelle Kessler from 24 helps to save the day.

Prometheus had nothing for Alien franchise fans... nor film fans either!!

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied

I'm really surprised by the reaction here. I thought it was a fantastic film. Not perfect, but art isn't by its nature.

Leave a comment:

• jdef75
    replied

SPOILERS****

Yeah, why did Guy Pearce look like frikkin Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China?

What I can't understand is why did the dudes who Shaw bashed and escaped from just clock off and forget about her?

And why was the whole thing never mentioned again? And why did Shaw never mention an Alien squid monster was on board. You'd think she'd at least send out an FYI. What if someone wanted to use the med bay for a filling or something?

Why, after the ships crashed, did the Space Jockey want to punch Shaw in the face instead of grabbing another ship and continuing his mission? And how did he find her? Did he have a copy of the screenplay? I thought Ridley had it locked up.

And why, if the atmosphere in the SJ ship mimicked Earth's, didn't the SJ need oxygen when he chased after Shaw? Or did they create the atmosphere for guests they wanted to punch in the face?

I guess I shall have to wait for the sequel to have my answers.

Leave a comment:

• Presto
    replied

Just saw it... I was sooo looking forward to Prometheus but like quite a very others I found it very disappointing. 6/10 from me.

Visuals were impressive as you would expect.

Leave a comment:

• Mortal_Remains
    replied

Sigh!

I had high hopes for this one... The trailer was one of the best I've ever seen. I love Alien and Aliens... Sci-fi is my schtick.

But unfortunately the writers really **** the bed with this one...

Paper thin characters, lazy motivation to push the plot forward, Plot holes, predictable... I could go on. (Galaxy of Terror had a better plot)

Yes the spectacle was there. My eyes were in cinematic bliss, but other than that there's nothing memorable or ground breaking about this film.

Here's a number of things I loathed about the film. (SPOILERS AHOY!)

Weylan: His make-up was fookin horrible... Get an old actor to play an old man. Why would that be so hard?

Vickers: Just a C U next tuesday. Nothing enjoyable or charming about her. If she had a moustache she'd be twirling it. Paul Reiser's character in Aliens was a hundred times better.

Every supporting character... None of them had an ounce of character. No banter between them, no development of friendships. No Comraderie.

When The two bone heads get lost... All the technology in the world and they get lost... Wouldn't the captain navigate them back to safety?

The storm which strands the two bone heads in the pyramid.. Wow, lets tack that on for convenience.

One of the bone heads decides to get cozy with an alien... Has no idea if it could kill him. But wants to pet it and call 'her' Beautiful. WTF

This star map which leads the humans to the aliens homeworld... Is actually just an alien military outpost for biological weapons... Why would the aliens give humans a map to a military outpost??

Weylands hope that the alien will somehow grant him eternal life...

I could go on... But you get the point...

Loved Fassbender though! And Idris Alba is always cool.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Striver
    replied

I enjoyed the visual effects. There were a couple of times in the movie where I said "wow" right out loud, where the visuals were so spectacular it made me kind of giddy. It was worth the price of admission for that alone. Good thing, because visual spectacle is all this movie has to offer; everything else was awful.

I didn't care one iota about any of the characters. Their deaths meant nothing to me.

The ideas weren't deep, or even interesting.

It's chockful of things that are implausible or flatly impossible. As just one example, the heroine gets a 12-inch surgical incision across her entire abdomen, completely severing her abdominal muscles, then sits up and proceeds to run and jump and fight completely normally, except for some wincing and grunting. I'm sorry, but that's just stupid. It goes far beyond the kind of liberties that action films are usually permitted. It violates the most basic principles of vertebrate anatomy.

The plot was kind of ridiculous. So ridiculous that I kind of hated the filmmakers by the end.

But it did look pretty, and I wasn't bored.

Leave a comment:

• Deion22
    replied

I don't know if Spaihts should be taking the heat on Prometheus., From his interviews it sounded like he had a clear idea of the story and where he was taking it. Then another writer was brought on and changed things.

What is really disturbing is how Prometheus and Snow White & The Huntsman had so many story problems. I expected much better from both. Huge disappointments.

Leave a comment:

• jdef75
    replied

I don't think it's a terrible film. There are some good performances..well...actually one, Fassbender's. And the visuals are terrific. Ridley can knock out stunning imagery in his sleep.

But...in the context of Alien, and the inflated statements of Ridley/Spaihts/Lindelof, which raised expectations to a Karman line height, Prometheus is an abject failure.

Two things are blatantly obvious.

One is that Ridley, for all his directorial skill, lacks story telling ability. More precisely, left to his own devices, he substitutes spectacle for well drawn characters and a creative and coherent plot.

He can hit a home run when excellent or competent story tellers back him up - Dan O'Bannon, Walter Hill etc. However, when the screenplay is sub par then Rids never seems to notice...or care.
    Some Directors can write well. Some can spot good writing. Ridley can do neither. I don't think he could differentiate Dan Brown from Dostoyevsky in a Pepsi Challenge.

The second is that Ridley desperately wants to be Terrance Malick, Kubrick. The big ideas guy. An artist. That's understandable considering his age, but that just ain't gonna happen. He's got some skills. A decent body of work. Many average films, and a couple of flawed films that come close to art. But he's no big ideas guy. Sweet Jesus, from his interviews he actually sounds like he gives creedence to Von Daniken's dopey and fraudulent claims. Carl Sagan, no slouch on advocating ETL, had some pointed remarks on the correlation between enthusiam for Daniken's writings and gross stupidity.

I should note that Spaihts and Lindelof are copping a lot of criticism for Prometheus, and it sounds like I'm ragging on them. But to be fair no one knows what changes were made to their versions. It may be that the unadulterated screenplay was pure genius only to be f**ked up in the usual way.

Leave a comment:

• CGS
    replied

Oh for Christ sake, I'll just shoot my cred and say: it was fun. Not awesome, not awful, just fun. Saw it in IMAX 3d in NYC to a packed and happy audience. Maybe a few rushed out to discuss plot holes (and there certainly was grist for this) and blog it out, but...

Clearly there were some major emotional stakes here, justifying the betrayal. Hey, it wasn't as good as alien. It will make a killing.

And the first 20 minutes were wonderful, economical storytelling, and fassbender was great, and there were plenty of other epic moments.

I'll back away slowly now.

Leave a comment:

• MacG
    replied

This is probably the best, most honest take on the film I've seen from the collection of reviews on RT.

Spoilers within.

http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/...heus.html#more

Leave a comment:

• MacG
    replied

This film was a fvcking disaster!

To call the narrative inept or incoherent would be an insult to movies with inept or incoherent narratives. CHARLIE'S ANGELS: FULL THROTTLE made more sense than this piece of sh!t!

Leave a comment:

• Tochirta
    replied

Blade Runner is boring as f*ck storywise.

But captivating art direction/production design/etc

Leave a comment:

Working...
X