Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supernaturals Coming Soon

Quite a few hitting the screens. Guess the paranormal is the go-to after zombies and vampires.

Sinister

By far and away the one I'm anticipating the most. Rated R.

The Apparition

Looked pretty good. PG-13 rating puts me off. The Ring for the West?

Possession

Gunning for a PG-13 so expect the horror to be jump scares and sudden noises.

The House at the End of the Street

Unfortunately another PG-13. No idea how they can do this justice on just a PG-13 so is the one I'm leaving 'til last.

Re: Supernaturals Coming Soon

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
    Quite a few hitting the screens. Guess the paranormal is the go-to after zombies and vampires.
    After? Take out the novelty stuff like Resident Evil or Twilight, when was the last time you saw a zombie or vampire movie at the multiplex?

Ghost stories and possession movies have been flowing like diarrhea all over the last few years.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Thanks for the links.

Sinister looks pretty good. I don't know why found footage doesn't get old. It must be tapping into some voyeuristic thing.

The Apparition had an interesting start in the trailer - can you create a ghost? But it seems to have fallen back on the old "opened a doorway to another world" by the end.

As for The Possession, Sam Raimi and Jeffrey Dean Morgan seems like a killer combination.

Please God, please, let just ONE of these movies have the humans win against the supernatural. Is it too much to ask? Do we always have to lose?

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
        Thanks for the links.
        No problem.

Sinister looks pretty good. I don't know why found footage doesn't get old. It must be tapping into some voyeuristic thing.
        I like the way they put a spin on it by making it about found footage rather than being so itself.

The Apparition had an interesting start in the trailer - can you create a ghost? But it seems to have fallen back on the old "opened a doorway to another world" by the end.
        I agree. Plus it has rules!

As for The Possession, Sam Raimi and Jeffrey Dean Morgan seems like a killer combination.
        I must be the lone dissenter regarding Sam Raimi and his 'returns' since he hit (lucky?) with Evil Dead. Lotta love for Javier Barden's doppelganger, though.

Please God, please, let just ONE of these movies have the humans win against the supernatural. Is it too much to ask? Do we always have to lose?
        Not if the money men plan on a franchise!

Comment

Possession is based on an interesting story, which will likely be very different onscreen--

http://www.dibbukbox.com/index.htm

The box on ebay -

http://web.archive.org/web/200511050...Bay_dibbuk.htm

Comment

Supernaturals?

Good grief!

The closest to anything approaching supernatural horror is an old eBay listing for a "haunted" or "cursed" object!

I'd look forward to burying zombie and vampires, as cinematic characters, but question why screenwriters and producers prefer to overlook some of the more unusual incidents actually involving the occult.

I wonder if those involved in THE APPARITION are aware of the experiments conducted by Iris M. and A.R.G. Owen, with the Toronto Society for Psychical Research, in the 1970s. I wasn't involved in those experiments, but was aware of their progress and knew the Owens.

No. I guess that I expect too much from Hollywood. Claiming that their nonsense is based on "true events" implies that someone actually read a book or investigated an incident, and I should know that doesn't happen.

I'm just a bit worried that films such as these might put a crimp into some of my investigations around Kingston, (giving some people ideas that ghosts and associated demonic entities are eagerly awaiting their opportunity to become the next maniac slasher horrors). I can expect all sorts of psychical researchers and experts on the supernatural to appear, (whose credentials consist of having watched these films several times).

I did have a good laugh, last summer, when the drama department at Queen's University operated a "day camp" that provided children with training on how to act like "zombies". It looked like the scene (@ 2:17 of the trailer) from SINISTER.
            JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
              Possession is based on an interesting story, which will likely be very different onscreen--

http://www.dibbukbox.com/index.htm

The box on ebay -

http://web.archive.org/web/200511050...Bay_dibbuk.htm
              Huh. Well that's interesting.

I really feel we should buy the box and send it to Jeff Lowell. He should be able to sort it out fairly quick.

Originally posted by Fortean View Post
              I wonder if those involved in THE APPARITION are aware of the experiments conducted by Iris M. and A.R.G. Owen, with the Toronto Society for Psychical Research, in the 1970s. I wasn't involved in those experiments, but was aware of their progress and knew the Owens.

I'm just a bit worried that films such as these might put a crimp into some of my investigations around Kingston, (giving some people ideas that ghosts and associated demonic entities are eagerly awaiting their opportunity to become the next maniac slasher horrors). I can expect all sorts of psychical researchers and experts on the supernatural to appear, (whose credentials consist of having watched these films several times)
              So what sort of investigations are you running around Kingston? Just curious.
              Last edited by Anagram; 06-17-2012, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Supernatural Investigations

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
                So what sort of investigations are you running around Kingston? Just curious.
                I've noted more than a score of "haunted" locations in Kingston, checked into their histories, and prepared an array of photographic equipment to conduct an overnight surveillance, (with time lapse, infrared, 3D and HDR techniques).
                JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Sinister looks dope...I had to stop halfway into it and cut the light on to finish watching it
                  One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Didn't I see Sinister last year, when the footage wasn't lost and Daniel Craig was in it?
                    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                      Sinister looks dope...I had to stop halfway into it and cut the light on to finish watching it
                      LOL.
                      SundownInRetreat
                      Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 06-18-2012, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Re: Supernatural Investigations

Originally posted by Fortean View Post
                        I've noted more than a score of "haunted" locations in Kingston, checked into their histories, and prepared an array of photographic equipment to conduct an overnight surveillance, (with time lapse, infrared, 3D and HDR techniques).
                        Do you do this to debunk, to prove, or just to find a definitive answer either way?

Comment

Damn, I clicked here expecting to read about Sam and Dean...
                          Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                            Damn, I clicked here expecting to read about Sam and Dean...
                            They're on vacation in Hell right now. Hopefully they'll be back.
                            One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

V/H/S/ looks like a lot of fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X