No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supernatural Investigations

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
    Do you do this to debunk, to prove, or just to find a definitive answer either way?
    I, too, like a good ghost yarn, yet prefer to know how much of it can be unraveled. All too often, it's a fraud perpetuated in lieu of a good fiction.

Having had a few psychic experiences, I'm not as inclined, (as some skeptics are), to denounce the entire subject as nonsense. And, the technology of digital photography has made it possible to do some things that simply weren't possible a few years ago. About time someone went looking at some "haunted" spots and took some equipment to see what could be seen, or what could barely be seen in the dark?

I expect to kill, or severely maim, Lily Herchmer. She either died in a fire, or drowned; but, I have difficulty determining how she died either way, if she was never born, to begin with. Guides of the local ghost tour point to a third floor window of the Prince George Hotel where Lily might be seen looking for her sailor boyfriend, in the same room, where a candle started a fatal fire. That's romantic. I spoil that mood, by observing that the third floor was added to the building in the 1890s, (when she'd have been about a hundred years old). Worse, I wonder why there's no record of her birth, death, the fire (or drowning), or burial, in a historically prominent family in this city.

I am more hopeful for a less known haunt, with an apparition recognized from a photograph.

For years, reservists and civilian employees at the Montreal Street armoury have reported strange sounds and sights, often late at night when the building is empty.

A few report seeing an unfamiliar figure, dressed in a Second World War-era khaki uniform with a Sam Brown belt, wandering the corridors of the building.

Most of those who claim to have seen the figure are adamant that they don't believe in ghosts, but they say, while dropping their voices, there was this one time.

"There are a lot of people who have seen something," says Lt.-Col. Andrew Samis, the commanding officer of the reserve regiment.

Besides being a soldier, he is an emergency room doctor at Kingston General Hospital and not predisposed to believe in supernatural beings.

"I don't know if I believe in ghosts, but I know I've experienced something in here," he said.

He confesses to having heard ghostly footsteps on the second floor when he was in the armoury all alone.

He searched the armoury, looking for a person who shouldn't be there but found nothing.

He reluctantly mentioned the occurrence to other members and started hearing similar stories - sometimes the sound of someone marching in parade boots, sometimes softer steps or someone walking with a limp - and some encounters were so vivid that even crusty sergeants locked themselves inside their offices....

But what really startled [Chuck Beavis, a longtime bartender in the sergeants' and warrant officers' mess] was one night when he saw a figure dressed in an old-fashioned uniform. Beavis did not recognize the man or the uniform, but said he was as real as anyone else. The figure stopped at the entrance to the NCO's mess and would not enter.

The man walked to the cloak room and went inside. Beavis followed and found the room empty.

Alarmed, Beavis went to the regimental museum on the first floor and looked at photographs, trying to identify the figure that he had seen and who bar staff would see again. Once he was moving cases of bottles into the cloakroom when another bartender called out to him that he was about to back into the same uniformed figure.

He did not find the man pictured in the museum, but upon returning to the bar, his eyes drifted to a photograph of a PWOR officer who was killed while serving overseas with the infantry in 1944.

He knew the face looking back at him.

"That was him," said Beavis, who believes so strongly in the ghost that his eyes tear up while recounting his encounter.

The man, Ernest [Ennis] Cockburn, was the son of the former regimental commander. He died a captain after being promoted from sergeant...

As an officer, Cockburn would not be allowed to enter the NCO's mess, where he doubtless spent many hours as a sergeant, without being invited in.

Beavis said the figure never crosses the threshold but stands at the door, as though waiting for permission to enter.

~ The Whig-Standard
    JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Re: Supernatural Investigations

Not sure if you know of it, and damned if I can find it, but there's one photo of a ghost that has so far (up to when I heard the news in the early 90s) that has confounded the sceptics and has passed the fraud tests.

For me though, the fact that it looks like our traditional ghost image: white sheet with eyes cut out, makes me 100% suspicious. But it is really creepy. If I remember rightly, the photos is taken in a church, looking down the aisle, and the ghost is in the foreground staring right at the camera.
      M.A.G.A.

Comment

Supernatural Investigations

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
        Not sure if you know of it, and damned if I can find it, but there's one photo of a ghost that has so far (up to when I heard the news in the early 90s) that has confounded the sceptics and has passed the fraud tests.

For me though, the fact that it looks like our traditional ghost image: white sheet with eyes cut out, makes me 100% suspicious. But it is really creepy. If I remember rightly, the photos is taken in a church, looking down the aisle, and the ghost is in the foreground staring right at the camera.
        Newby Church? Estry Church?
        JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Re: Supernaturals Coming Soon

That's it, the Newbry Church one. Have you any info on that? Has it since been proven a hoax? What are your feelings on the matter?
          M.A.G.A.

Comment

And have you checked out any of the trailers in the OP? Any take your fancy?
            M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
              They're on vacation in Hell right now. Hopefully they'll be back.
              Actually, Dean is in purgatory. (I don't remember what happened to Sam.)

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
                Actually, Dean is in purgatory. (I don't remember what happened to Sam.)
                Aww damn you're right, lol.
                One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Working...
                X