Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rock of Ages

I'll cop I'm biased...hated the late 80s. And the hair bands degraded both glam and metal. Which took some energy.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
      Totally agree with Sundown and Chad. I had a BLAST -- hugely enjoyable film. Sure, it's frothy and fun and silly and 1980s. So what. Everyone in the theater got into it from the first scene of the passengers on the bus bursting into song. Cruise was remarkably good. (He seems to do best when given a "character" to play rather than leading man.)

To ensure a PG-13 rating they probably had to pull a few punches. Again, so what.

It's too bad it's considered a box office flop... I was hoping it would lead to more musicals. (But then, I'm a "Glee" fan.)

Late Night Writer
      With you on Tom Cruise. He was on fire. And I think every woman noticed a damp patch when they stood up tp leave the theatre. Not sure about Russel Brand's quasi Brummie accent though. Loved the way the film faithfully captured the era - from the boybands to the sellout rock concerts full of pomp and showmanship. Even the PMRC!

I was quietly impressed with Blige's rock voice too. And I don't know which was a more bizarre sight - the baboon in that pseudo Gadaffi 'dictator' outfit or Paul Giamatti singing Whitesnake!

And I'm extremely happy they really captured the essence of those times and not fall into the cliche of mockery. Give me 5 guys who look larger than life, who want to make everyone feel good, and who put on a larger than life show; a spectacle - than 5 guys in plaid shirts, 3/4 length shorts and goatees, standing still on a sombre stage, telling me how life sucks. Or a manufactured pop band wearing, dancing, singing, saying whatever they've been ordered to. Or rappers boasting about murder and pimpery.

We don't want the guy next door. Or one of a million garage bands. And the rock stars understood this. They understood we want them to look and act differently to the average man on the street. Anyone can mope with a guitar round his neck. Not everyone can sell arseless chaps, somersault kicks and effortlessly wrap an audience around his finger. These guys were born to entertain and to rock our world.

Hopefully with this film, people will be able to enjoy just how good these songs and bands are, rather than give in to lowest-common-denominator 'opinion'. Of course, some won't, but that's their loss. And Tom Cruise's Wanted Dead or Alive gave me chills! And seeing him on stage, rocking a sea of fans was *heaven!

*copyright - Warrant

Comment

Another overlooked aspect of the 80's was the musicianship these guys brought to the stage - especially in the area of guitar and vocals. Stratospheric high notes and shredding guitar licks.

Whenever I get to strap on the guitar and play with my band - whether a gig or in my basement - I like to channel that energy and I always push for at least a handful of those songs on the set list.

Last show I got to rock out Home Sweet Home, Bark at the Moon, Metal Health, and Aces High. Next list I've managed to get Welcome to the Jungle, Round and Round, Crazy Train and Live Wire. Sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
          I'll cop I'm biased...hated the late 80s. And the hair bands degraded both glam and metal. Which took some energy.
          Oh I'm right there with you man. I was a Punk Rocker, mind you, so the only Metal I listened to were bands like Slayer, Celtic Frost and Motorhead. To me, the idea of making a musical about 80's Glam Metal strikes me as a bad idea because the songs were/are truly awful.

It's like when Rosie O'Donnell produced that Broadway musical about Culture Club. Sure, the story of Boy George and Culture Club might be interesting, but the songs themselves are HORRIBLE (although not as bad as the Black Eyed Peas). One of the reasons VELVET GOLDMINE actually worked as well as it did is because a lot of that old Glitter Rock was really quite terrific and the songs still hold up.

I mean, Poison? Are you effing serious!? They were NEVER cool!

But hey, if people enjoyed it that's fine. At least they're making a movie about CBGB's for me and my "tribe".

Cheers,

B
          SIX-GUN GORILLA: LONG DAYS OF VENGEANCE.
          http://www.sixgungorilla.com/
          https://www.facebook.com/SixGunGorilla
          sigpic
          "... (an) indie powerhouse of a book.- - AIN'T IT COOL NEWS

Comment

Originally posted by ChadStrohl View Post
            Another overlooked aspect of the 80's was the musicianship these guys brought to the stage - especially in the area of guitar and vocals. Stratospheric high notes and shredding guitar licks.
            A lot of garbage (standard and ignorant) has been posted in this thread.
            But this is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!

Comment

Originally posted by BChristgau View Post
              I mean, Poison? Are you effing serious!? They were NEVER cool!
              I was more of a Skid Row guy myself.

Comment

And Pantera were a Poison on even more lipstick band before they trying anotehr tack.

That first album - Youth Gone Wild, 18 & Life, I Remember You - mega!
                And Monkey Business on the follow up just rocked like a nuclear blast.

Comment

I hate metal and hair bands and all that **** and always have.

Except for Van Halen. They were something special.

So, I have no idea what any of those guys look like. And I was at a car wash and this douchey looking dude was waiting for the guys to finish up with his vintage 70's corvette. Super cherry car but custom paint. Beautiful. He had ****ed up black hair and too much silver jewelry and lots of rings and all black clothes. And I was standing there and passing the time:

"Nice car."
                  "Thanks."
                  "What, are you a musician or something?"
                  "Yeah."
                  "What, like you play for a metal band."
                  "Yeah."
                  "What, like Motley Crue or some **** like that."
                  "Yeah."

"Really?"
                  "Yeah. I play bass. For Motley Crue"

Turned out to be Nikki Sixx

Comment

I think I got spoiled growing up with REM, Faith No More, Janes Addiction, Chili Peppers, The Pixies and the big rock bands like Guns N' Roses, Nirvana, Soundgarden and Metallica, because I've turned into the old guy standing on his lawn telling everyone how everything was better back in my day.

I hated glam metal. HATED IT.

Listening to modern radio today, I wish I were listening to Glam Metal.

I do like Adele, though.

Comment

While most hair bands were just designed to be metal for teenaged girls, there were a couple of early Motley Crue and Dokken albums that were pretty tight, and I still listen to the first WASP album. But by the time shit like Ugly Kid Joe hit the scene, I was all ready for grunge.
                      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                      X