No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Brave"

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
    But it's not a kids' movie. It has nudity, breast jokes, violence, dismemberment, alcohol consumption, etc.

It needs that external conflict to keep people above the age of 12 entertained. And it doesn't have that.
    I swear to god, I'm going crazy. I actually agree with this.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
      But it's not a kids' movie. It has nudity, breast jokes, violence, dismemberment, alcohol consumption, etc.

It needs that external conflict to keep people above the age of 12 entertained. And it doesn't have that.
      Dumbo and Beauty and the Beast have alcohol consumption, I can't think of any Disney animated film without violence, Hunchback of Notre Dame had a whole musical number about lust, Little Mermaid had boobs...under your criteria no animated Disney films are for kids.

FWIW I am over twelve and was entertained. Much more so than I usually am by Disney films. My husband and I argue over whose turn it is to endure a kids' movie -this time I was glad it was my turn.

Comment

Originally posted by bmcthomas View Post
        If you are a child though - the idea of your mother dying is HUGE and terrifying and very, very bad. Dying because of something you did? Oh my God, that's beyond huge. Just ask a kid whose parents are getting divorced how guilty and responsible they feel - and that's when it isn't their fault.

Because of Merida's actions, her father was about to slaughter her mother. In front of her and her baby brothers. There's not enough therapy in the world to get over that.

I don't think films aimed at children have to be "lesser" in any way, but to dismiss the loss of a parent as not much of a threat to a child is...dismissive.

Of course Merida isn't a child, but the children in the audience are, and at the age where losing Mom absolutely is a threat to their very existence.
        I went to see this with my husband, our two twenty-something kids (boy and girl) and myself. The audience (all ages) really seemed to like it. Definitely a family movie - delightful guffaws from some under seven boy when the the three little brothers of Merida go after the key in the lady's cleavage.

It had an edge to it, I thought. Since, as pointed out above by bmcthomas a mother is in peril because her daughter put her there, to win a battle of wills. I had no idea if one of Merida's family was going to die because of her action. Movie had the quality of a an old folk tale, that may not end well. And because of that, I really liked it. I also loved that it was told from a female perspective, and dealt very realistically with the kind of power struggles that Mothers and daughters can get into.

The witch was the most problematic character to me, since she just seemed to be a f#%k up! Was she evil, or was she just a very bad spell maker? But, that was my only real complaint about the movie.

Loved the way they animated the mother after her transformation. And, I really loved Merida's hair! Apparently that was a technical breakthrough in animation technique, to be able to depict her hair in such a realistic way.

Comment

Working...
        X