No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is Die Hard really about?

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
    I just thought it was just another Hollywood sequel, based on a novel.

- Bill
    I don't think Frankie would've been caught dead in a wife-beater t-shirt.

HH

Comment

Who has the emotional journey? McClane, who is basically the same man at the end of the film as the one who started it? How did he change towards his wife - he's more understanding of her career? How does his wife change? She's more understanding of his need to be a cop and abilities? They really just get back together because of the adrenaline of the moment.

The emotional journey goes to Al, who goes from unable to fire a gun to making a killshot. The film doesn't end with Hans' death, but with Karl's.

I'd say the premise led to the theme on this one. Because as great of a movie as DIE HARD is, I've never really bought the idea that in one night John and his wife solved their marriage problems.

But I think we can all agree the real moral of the story is don't be an Ellis.

Comment

We're also forgetting the story of the Chinese man who just wants a damn candy bar.
        Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

It's a poorly-conceived remake of The Seventh Seal, with Bruce Willis as Max Von Sydow and Alan Rickman as Death.

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
            You guys are wrong. DIE HARD is really about McClane's bromantic relationship with an an African American cop called Al Powell -- and helping him come to terms with shooting a kid.
            Originally posted by emily blake View Post
            We're also forgetting the story of the Chinese man who just wants a damn candy bar.

Oh Lawd Forgive Them, They Have Eyes But They Do Not See.

It's about the gay relationship between the Chinese man and the American security guard at the door. You can see the Chinese man making excuses to hide down there.

Which is a covert PR ruse to improve Sino-American relations. We need their money.
            Story Structure 1
            Story Structure 2
            Story Structure 3

Comment

Did any of you even bother to watch the movie?

It's Christmas Eve, people! That's the only clue to the structure you need.

McClane is the Christ figure who comes to battle Satan (Hans Gruber) and save mankind from their sins (terrorists).

BONUS POINTS if you figured out that the hostage that betrays McClane is Judas.

Comment

I thought it was the unrequited love between Johnson and Johnson (no relation), that ill fated Summer/Fall romance that met an untimely end - the obvious theme being "never hold back your innermost desires because you never know when some lunatic is going to blow up a building and crash your helicopter."

Comment

It's another one of those Jane Austen novel adaptations they keep cranking out because her works are all public domain.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                    I just thought it was just another Hollywood sequel, based on a novel.

- Bill
                    Just finished THE SECRETS OF ACTION SCREENWRITING and really enjoyed your analysis. As a big fan of the film, I'm sorry I didn't read it sooner.

What really struck me is the 12 subplots in 4 pages wrap-up -- Die Hard is really about a dozen things, made possible by John's actions. In trying to stop Hans, ultimately John causes subplots to happen -- Holly using his last name; Powell finding the courage to draw his gun; Karl avenging his brother; even Argyle being trapped because he's not sure if he can make nice with his wife. The effects of John's decisions resonate throughout each side character.

As a cherry on top of it all, I realized John McClane's winning move is to out-draw Hans like a cowboy by using his secret weapon of humor. And in order to do so, he has to come to Holly first.

Comment

Working...
                    X