Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies that surprised you

Are there any films about which you didn't have any expectations, or somehow avoided the hype, but when you saw them they had you from beginning to end? Or even, you'd heard they were good, but when you saw them they surpassed your expectations.

Heat, The Usual Suspects and Mulholland Drive fall into this category for me.

Re: Movies that surprised you

Yes, The Usual Suspects for sure. More recently I found Cedar Rapids to be a tidy little comedy that I had no expectations for but was pleasantly surprising... not a great film but a pretty good way to spend a couple of hours.
    Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

Honestly, Step Up 3-D is surprisingly entertaining to watch when you are at home on a sick day. The story has been told a thousand times, but they actually did a good job of finding decent actors that can dance.
      On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

"21 Jump Street" was way more clever and hilarious than I thought it would be.

Comment

I quite enjoyed the Kevin Reynolds version of The Count of Monte Cristo, though it had mixed reviews. About as good a revenge story as you can make for PG-13.

Comment

Originally posted by tavis sarmento View Post
            "21 Jump Street" was way more clever and hilarious than I thought it would be.
            Agreed. A couple of bits in that movie had me laughing so hard I had trouble catching my breath.

On the other hand, Schindler's List wasn't nearly as funny as I expected. I don't think I laughed once.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
              I quite enjoyed the Kevin Reynolds version of The Count of Monte Cristo, though it had mixed reviews. About as good a revenge story as you can make for PG-13.
              The Count of Monte Cristo is a great story.

Comment

The Good The Bad And The Weird is infinitely better than the title would have you believe.
                Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

I thought TERRI was going to be cute and charming -- good but forgettable and somewhat cliched. Turns out it was quite powerful and turned its back on cliches (or flipped them on their heads) every chance it got.

Comment

Malice
                    La Confidential
                    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I knew people were saying good things about TAKE SHELTER, but that movie gave my soul an orgasm, it was so great.

Comment

I really don't like FAMILY GUY, so I went into TED with very limited expectations...and was happily surprised. I know it's pretty much an R-rated live action version of his TV show, but somehow it just worked for me in this case.

Maybe I just don't like cartoons. Never was a fan of THE SIMPSONS, FUTURAMA or KING OF THE HILL, either. Although I do drop by SOUTH PARK on occasion...
                        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Recently watched Big Miracle with Drew Barrymore and John Krasinski. I don't usually forget I'm watching a movie, but I did with this one. A really great story that's superbly well-told.

Comment

A few years back we went to the cinema all geared up to see Yes Man only to find it wasn't on. A disappointing compromise was made to watch Role Models instead. Expectations were low which is why I look back with fondness on the day, it really surprised me. A great warm comedy.

Comment

Recently watched Like Crazy on DVD.

It was a smaller festival movie that made like 3 million or so, I think. The actors had a 50 page outline and improvised most of their lines during rehersal...

I was surprised for a movie with so little conflict that I really did like it. I found myself thinking about it for a few days afterwards without trying. It reminded me of Before Sunrise/Before Sunset... which you know, you've gotta be in the mood for that type of movie.

Oddly, I have no desire to see it again. Don't know why.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/like_crazy/

Comment

Working...
                              X