Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top 5 Favorite Comedy Scenes Of All Time

A friend of mine, who like myself I like to think has a good sense of humor, had this drunken conversation tonight. So well done OP because this featured in a drunken pre-clubbing debate. Here's what we came up with and a verbose explanation as to why. Personally all the real funniest stuff is TV comedy (and, sorry, biased..... but UK comedy.... Fawlty Towers, The Office, Alan Partridge, Only Fools, Father Ted), but as to HOLLYWOOD MOVIES only....

And In typical Idol style... 'in no particular order'-

1. "NED RYERSON!"- Groundhog Day. Where to start. What I've worked out in my fairly scant time on the planet is that LAYERS make me laugh. Layered comedy is what keeps me laughing because I keep seeing another perspective. So Phil obviously hates people. Ned is the antithesis of Phil. He loves talking to people... even if they probably never want to talk back. So we begin with Phil not recognizing him, but Ned desperate for him to recognize him. Then, after a while, Phil can't help but recognize him.... over and over. Which ranges from a homo-erotic confrontation, all the way to the BEST PUNCH OUT IN CINEMA HISTORY- Watch out for that first step... It's a DOOZY!

2. "We must try something a little more..... stringent'- DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS. Again, SOOOO layered. The escalation of the infliction of pain as he whips with that cane someone who is supposed to be paralyzed from the waist down is awesome enough, but again it's the layers that make this great. The two characters trying to keep up the facade. The run up. And the icing *BIG SPOILER ALERT* The fact that it's all for nothing since the person they're trying to con, is The Jackal all along. Genius!

3. 'You can start by wiping that F***ing dumbass smile of your rosey f***ing cheeks'- Planes, Trains and Automobiles. So many great moments here. From hands between 'pillows' to devil hallucinations, all the way to the still the greatest, gut-wrenching twist in a comedy, but nothing beats, still for me, the best unfiltered, expletive tirade in cinema history. Just.... Perfection.

4. Leslie Nielsen- EVERYTHING. I tried to narrow it down. But it's impossible. Anything from Airplane 'Calm Down' queue of wrenches, guns and baseball bats. Naked Gun "I've been swimming in Raw Sewage". "Isn't that right Mr. Poppy Pants. "Is this some kind of bust?". "Over here, Franks found another one". "Help the captain up" (obscure one, but both of our favorite Naked Gun moments ever). Too many! So 90% of any scene in any movie with Leslie Nielsen goes in this list somewhere. RIP- The greatest reaction shot actor of all time.

5. Jim Carrey- DUMB AND DUMBER/ACE VENTURA. We couldn't narrow this one down. Anything between "Fell off the jet way again", "He's got a gun- Did you pay the gas bill?!" " Relax, Harry. I took care of it"- Cut to thick rolls of selotape around decapitated Budgie head.... all the way to Ventura 'Yeah, and you're ugly", "I'm in psychosville and Finkle's the mayor", "....and a clean pair of shorts" and the genius of "If I'd been drinking out of the toilet, I might have been killed". Too many. impossible to filter.

I had HONORABLE MENTIONS, from Something About Mary, See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Me, Myself and Irene, Monty Pythons Life Of Brian/Holy Grail, Kingpin "I'm gonna brush my teeth"..... but the alcohol is kicking in now.

And I'd hate to get any more verbose than I already am and have been. Although note how little of these have been in the last ten years.

NEWSFLASH! Apatow movies aren't that funny!

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
      Trying to think of some people haven't mentioned.

Luke Wilson talking to Justin Long in Idiocracy.
      I always forget Justin Long is in that movie.

I've always loved the "brawndo has electrolytes" conversation also.

Comment

Another funny scene (although in a really serious movie) is R. Lee Ermey's introduction in Full Metal Jacket, That single walk around shot where he's rattling off, his dialog is brilliant, actually all his dialog in the film is pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by pjc View Post
          Another funny scene (although in a really serious movie) is R. Lee Ermey's introduction in Full Metal Jacket, That single walk around shot where he's rattling off, his dialog is brilliant, actually all his dialog in the film is pretty funny.
          That's mostly all him. I thought I was watching a documentary at first.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post

"Blame Canada" - South Park movie
            Me and my brother were reminiscing about this film the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post

I had HONORABLE MENTIONS, See No Evil, Hear No Evil,
              So glad someone mentioned this movie -- it gets me everytime!!!

Also, dont think i've seen a funnier movie (in more recent times) than The Hangover (1 + 2). The 'jungle cat' in the bathroom. The monkey. Just everything. Non-stop LOL's...

Comment

A friend of mine, who like myself I like to think has a good sense of humor, had this drunken conversation tonight. So well done OP because this featured in a drunken pre-clubbing debate. Here's what we came up with and a verbose explanation as to why. Personally all the real funniest stuff is TV comedy (and, sorry, biased..... but UK comedy.... Fawlty Towers, The Office, Alan Partridge, Only Fools, Father Ted), but as to HOLLYWOOD MOVIES only....

And In typical Idol style... 'in no particular order'-

1. "NED RYERSON!"- Groundhog Day. Where to start. What I've worked out in my fairly scant time on the planet is that LAYERS make me laugh. Layered comedy is what keeps me laughing because I keep seeing another perspective. So Phil obviously hates people. Ned is the antithesis of Phil. He loves talking to people... even if they probably never want to talk back. So we begin with Phil not recognizing him, but Ned desperate for him to recognize him. Then, after a while, Phil can't help but recognize him.... over and over. Which ranges from a homo-erotic confrontation, all the way to the BEST PUNCH OUT IN CINEMA HISTORY- Watch out for that first step... It's a DOOZY!

2. "We must try something a little more..... stringent'- DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS. Again, SOOOO layered. The escalation of the infliction of pain as he whips with that cane someone who is supposed to be paralyzed from the waist down is awesome enough, but again it's the layers that make this great. The two characters trying to keep up the facade. The run up. And the icing *BIG SPOILER ALERT* The fact that it's all for nothing since the person they're trying to con, is The Jackal all along. Genius!

3. 'You can start by wiping that F***ing dumbass smile of your rosey f***ing cheeks'- Planes, Trains and Automobiles. So many great moments here. From hands between 'pillows' to devil hallucinations, all the way to the still the greatest, gut-wrenching twist in a comedy, but nothing beats, still for me, the best unfiltered, expletive tirade in cinema history. Just.... Perfection.

4. Leslie Nielsen- EVERYTHING. I tried to narrow it down. But it's impossible. Anything from Airplane 'Calm Down' queue of wrenches, guns and baseball bats. Naked Gun "I've been swimming in Raw Sewage". "Isn't that right Mr. Poppy Pants. "Is this some kind of bust?". "Over here, Franks found another one". "Help the captain up" (obscure one, but both of our favorite Naked Gun moments ever). Too many! So 90% of any scene in any movie with Leslie Nielsen goes in this list somewhere. RIP- The greatest reaction shot actor of all time.

5. Jim Carrey- DUMB AND DUMBER/ACE VENTURA. We couldn't narrow this one down. Anything between "Fell off the jet way again", "He's got a gun- Did you pay the gas bill?!" " Relax, Harry. I took care of it"- Cut to thick rolls of selotape around decapitated Budgie head.... all the way to Ventura 'Yeah, and you're ugly", "I'm in psychosville and Finkle's the mayor", "....and a clean pair of shorts" and the genius of "If I'd been drinking out of the toilet, I might have been killed". Too many. impossible to filter.

I had HONORABLE MENTIONS, from Something About Mary, See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Me, Myself and Irene, Monty Pythons Life Of Brian/Holy Grail, Kingpin "I'm gonna brush my teeth"..... but the alcohol is kicking in now.

And I'd hate to get any more verbose than I already am and have been. Although note how little of these have been in the last ten years.

NEWSFLASH! Apatow movies aren't that funny!
                UGH! Drunken posts! Apologies. Although I'm happy with those choices. But note to self: DON'T POST DRUNK!

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                  That's mostly all him. I thought I was watching a documentary at first.

HH
                  Yeah I've heard that, There's a good interview somewhere on youtube where Matthew Modine talks about Ermey and how he came be involved with the film. I believe he up staged the original actor while they were auditioning extras. The actor was half assing it and wanted a break, Ermey got up and let it fly. Kubrick saw the tapes and cast him.

Found the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMkqa...=results_video it was put up the hudson union society they do some neat one on ones with Hollywood types and political figures.
                  Last edited by pjc; 08-17-2012, 01:44 PM. Reason: add link

Comment

UGH! Drunken posts! Apologies. Although I'm happy with those choices. But note to self: DON'T POST DRUNK!
                    Good list, drunk or not. If I posted drunk I would've probably recommended The
                    Tuxedo or something.

Comment

I know it's recent but the scene at the bridal salon in "Bridesmaids". I was literally crying. Also anything from "Anchorman." I'm sure there are more but I'm terrible at thinking of these things.

Comment

Originally posted by pjc View Post
                        Found the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMkqa...=results_video it was put up the hudson union society they do some neat one on ones with Hollywood types and political figures.
                        Hey, thanks for that link, pjc. I thought I knew a lot about the making of FULL METAL JACKET, but the poetry bit was new to me.

And I'll definitely have to check out more from The Hudson Society. Thanks again.

HH

Comment

I just rewatched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang today, 7 years later, and I'm going to half to add about half that movie's scenes to this list.

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                            Hey, thanks for that link, pjc. I thought I knew a lot about the making of FULL METAL JACKET, but the poetry bit was new to me.

And I'll definitely have to check out more from The Hudson Society. Thanks again.

HH
                            NP, Just wish HS would put out some longer videos of their past Q&A sessions, if I lived a few hours closer I'd try to join.

Comment

Working...
                            X