Coolest bunch of warriors / fighters / bad asses?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolest bunch of warriors / fighters / bad asses?

I watched the (underestimated?) KING ARTHUR recently, and I gotta say, I really dig that version of the Knights (set circa 1,000 years before the more traditional legend). A group of rag-tag, dread-locked Celtic cowboys in armor who can absolutely freaking kick ass with a sword and bow (and the actors did most of that themselves apparently, learned to ride while shooting / fighting).

THE MATRIX obviously comes to mind, if we're talking more stylized, what with the flowing black coats and dark shades and fancy martial arts + gravity defying moves.

The vamps in UNDERWORLD are pretty cool, but that was mostly Kate on her own. I'm talking more a group of characters.

Just curious as to what your faves are, both in terms of kick-ass capabilities and visual impact.

Re: Coolest bunch of warriors / fighters / bad asses?

Arnold's team in Predator.

Comment

Oddly enough, The warriors (come out to plaaa-ayy warriors)

In fact the title of the thread made me think someone was trying to update/reenvision it
      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

The Elves in LOTR are a pretty striking image too. When they all unexpectedly show up for battle at Helm's Deep, all regal and all, that was a nice moment. Plus, knowing how deadly they are as archers.

Comment

Maybe an obvious answer, but the Colonial Marines in 'Aliens' are pretty badass.

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic_about_film View Post
            Maybe an obvious answer, but the Colonial Marines in 'Aliens' are pretty badass.
            For sure they are, but I'm also talking as a visual statement. How the director and his art team choose to portray characters. ALIENS is one of my favorite flicks. But aside from their weapons, is there anything visually distinctive about those Marines ?

Now, nobody's going to argue: Ripley gearing up in the elevator, that's Cameron all the way. Go girl

Cross reference Sarah Connor with Ripley gearing up to save a kid / kill the bad guy, pretty cool.

Comment

+1 for The Warriors. They're so damn cool you forget they're supposed to be scumbags.

Comment

To soon and/or geeky to say Avengers?

Comment

I second the Predator team.

And add the Long Riders, Resorvoir Dogs, and Usual Suspects.

Second team honors to Alien Resurrection pirate crew and Tom Hanks' Saving Private Ryan company (while they were all still alive).
                  On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

Originally posted by entlassen View Post
                    Arnold's team in Predator.
                    +1

Also: Buliwyf's Viking band in The 13th Warrior.

And, for a nod to the world of animation, if anyone saw the surprisingly good and under-appreciated He-Man television series from 2002, (which was worlds superior to the cheesy Filmation program of the '80s,) the antagonists of Season 2, dubbed the "Snake Men," were an uncommonly interesting group.

Usually, villainous groups in animation are presented as merely a crime syndicate with costumes, its members all bickering and grasping and bumbling. But the Snake Men were conceived as a noble (if evil) ancient race, and its members, beyond having interesting storylines and personalities, were loyal to their king in a way that evoked feudal sensibilities. Good high-fantasy stuff, given the limitations of the genre.

- - -

Oh, and I just remembered another group that really stands out. They never fought together per se, but they were conceived as a group, so I think they might count: The Five Deadly Venoms, of the eponymous Shaw Bros. movie.

Comment

Seven Samurai

The Magnificent Seven

And John Woo's RED CLIFF had a good deal of awesome bad-asses. But only watch the full 5-hour version.

Comment

Is it wrong if I say The Droogs? Oh, sure there was a lot of ultra-violence and rape.... but they did it with a light-hearted song and a smile. Those loveable rogues.

And, not necessarily bad ass, but I always liked the dynamic between the Dungeon's and Dragons 80's cartoon crew. With the exception of Uni who I would have spit-roasted over a hot fire at the earliest opportunity.

And shame on all of you for no-one having mentioned Thundercats. Yes, Lion-O had a haircut that wouldn't have looked out of place in a Panthera tribute band, but the rest kicked ass. *Cough* TYGRA *cough*.

Although once again, Snarf would have had a date with the blade of the sword of Omens the first time everyone elses' back was turned. Snarf this!

And finally *begin shameless self-promotion* The medieval misfits in my latest comic book adaptation who start out slow, but start to KICK ASS! *end shameless self-promotion*

PS. Agreed on Usual Suspects. And I like the look of that team-up in the Iron fist movie about to be released.

Comment

The 3 mariachis in Once Upon a Time in Mexico.
                          "Only nothing is impossible."
                          - Grant Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                            +1

Also: Buliwyf's Viking band in The 13th Warrior.

And, for a nod to the world of animation, if anyone saw the surprisingly good and under-appreciated He-Man television series from 2002, (which was worlds superior to the cheesy Filmation program of the '80s,) the antagonists of Season 2, dubbed the "Snake Men," were an uncommonly interesting group.

Usually, villainous groups in animation are presented as merely a crime syndicate with costumes, its members all bickering and grasping and bumbling. But the Snake Men were conceived as a noble (if evil) ancient race, and its members, beyond having interesting storylines and personalities, were loyal to their king in a way that evoked feudal sensibilities. Good high-fantasy stuff, given the limitations of the genre.

- - -

Oh, and I just remembered another group that really stands out. They never fought together per se, but they were conceived as a group, so I think they might count: The Five Deadly Venoms, of the eponymous Shaw Bros. movie.

Good call on "The 13th Warrior." That was one of my absolute favorite movies as a kid. I know it doesn't get a lot of love, but I thought it was awesome. Book was great, too.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                              Good call on "The 13th Warrior." That was one of my absolute favorite movies as a kid. I know it doesn't get a lot of love, but I thought it was awesome. Book was great, too.
                              Never read the book, but I've always greatly admired the film. Severely under-appreciated. I recently obtained a draft of the screenplay, or an early screenplay, and I have to say that it testifies to a successful example of "development." I.e., the draft that I read is certainly good, but the final film shows numerous substantial improvements.

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                              And shame on all of you for no-one having mentioned Thundercats.
                              I never watched the Thundercats that much (although Mumm Ra was a commendably darker-than-usual villain for sanitized 80s animation). Apparently there was a recent reboot of the Thundercats, somewhat improved. (Haven't seen it.) The Thundercats team always reminded me of "G Force," from the Battle of the Plants series, which is the first warrior "team" that I can recall viewing as a kid -- and a pretty entertaining group in its own right.

At any rate, I'm pleased to see someone else bring up an example from the world of animation. As I was thinking about this thread, it occurred to me that most of the warrior-group examples that spring to mind are from animated TV series, not from films.

I wonder if that's because the idea of a "team" is something quintessentially youthful, tied to the school years, when many of us join clubs or teams of one kind or another (Scouts, sports teams, chess clubs, whatever) -- a time of group bonding that ends later in life when we have families -- or, in the case of writers, become hermits...

- - - -

But to come back to the O.P.'s original intention in this post, I think a warrior group that is depicted as a very effective fighting unit is the Spartans in 300. In that film, Leonidas is even given an effective speech in which he explains to the hunchback how the phalanx fights as a single unit, and how a single physically weak link would undermine the entire formation.

Comment

Working...
                              X