Why the Future of Mainstream Cinema Depends on You...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why the Future of Mainstream Cinema Depends on You...

Originally posted by Paul Striver View Post
    I'm guessing the title was Cloud Atlas.

Ha, I should've clarified. I've read reviews of the novel, Cloud Atlas, but I haven't yet read it. The one I read predates this novel and it was a real longwinded title, also part of a series, I think....
    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I'm guessing the title was Cloud Atlas.
      Doubt it, since they're not the same characters in Cloud Atlas, from what I remember. A character in one story reads the next story each time. No idea how the film handles it though.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
        Only If Cloud Atlas is the greatest film ever conceived will his argument hold.

But if the film bombs because it's, let's say, pretentious stinking garbage, Hollywood will simply avoid pretentious stinking garbage in its future endeavors.
        I have to agree with this. I remember going to see visually eccentric films such as What Dreams May Come and The Cell, only to find them all style, no substance.

Not that I take critics' opinions as gospel, but this doesn't fill me with hope:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/...ries-1.1010252

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
          Is that sarcasm, Signal? Can't tell...

Assuming it is, I think they kinda did. You see everywhere now, "looking for smart sci-fi in the vein of Inception." And I recall at least a few projects announced this year that are described as X meets Inception.

When something that ambitious is that successful, it turns heads. And pockets.
          Sarcasm is my default setting. After a few years, still not seeing too many Inception-inspired narratives at the multiplex.
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I always thought the future of mainstream cinema depended entirely upon me, but my psychiatrist said I was just being delusional and upped my meds.

Even with mixed reviews, I'm going to go see Cloud Atlas, fingers crossed.
            "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Sometimes (but not every day) I'd rather see a big swing and a miss than the next SAW XXIV. Gotta love the swing.
              ScriptGal
              Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
              Fifteen Years Development Experience
              http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                I seem to recall that argument floated with Inception. Yeah...Hollywood really sat up and took notice.
                Nah. They are too busy counting their money.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                  Not that I take critics' opinions as gospel, but this doesn't fill me with hope:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/...ries-1.1010252
                  Ooo, a fellow Canadian? BTW, I always felt some of the imagery/story for Inception was inspired by What Dreams May Come. Or maybe it was a coincidence both had a suicidal dead wife trapped inside a crumbling hellscape.
                  I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                    Ooo, a fellow Canadian? BTW, I always felt some of the imagery/story for Inception was inspired by What Dreams May Come. Or maybe it was a coincidence both had a suicidal dead wife trapped inside a crumbling hellscape.
                    Good catch to see that similarity! I'm of two minds whether to see this film or not. Probably will depend on what my movie going buddies and I can agree on.

Comment

I liked it. Some quarrels, but all in all... it was enjoyable. Didn't even feel like 3 hours. Felt like... two... maybe.

That said, it was definitely too long. Too many storylines. But it flowed and it was ambitious and it was... passionate.

I wouldn't wish for those 3 hours back. And that's a big statement in today's cinema.

I recommend it. But only if you go in knowing it's not a typical movie... It's more like a... Life experience, TBH.

Worth the money. Worth the time. Worth the lost sleep.

Comment

Well, it bombed at the BO. The future of cinema has officially died. Never again will you witness a decent movie. It'll just be Transfmormers sequels from here on out.
                        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

When, with friends, you talk about going to the cinema and you suggest a film you want to watch, they'll usually ask you:

What is it about?

-- I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                            When, with friends, you talk about going to the cinema and you suggest a film you want to watch, they'll usually ask you:

What is it about?

-- I have no idea.
                            It's a weird answer, but an easy one too: It's about the ripple effect one act of kindness can have throughout history.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                              It's a weird answer, but an easy one too: It's about the ripple effect one act of kindness can have throughout history.
                              Well you just guaranteed I won't see it.

Comment

Not an easy sale, admittedly. But it's a unique film that has a lot to say and keeps you on your toes. It's worth the time and money, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X