Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver Linings Playbook

Silver Linings Playbook was the best action movie I've seen all year. Talk about putting your characters through hell.

Interested in hearing from anyone who read the script and saw the movie. I just read a review of an early draft and there seemed to be some changes from the finished film.

Re: Silver Linings Playbook

Action film?

The trailers are showing it as a Comedy/drama.

Anyway - I'm looking forward to watching this at some point.

Comment

Great movie. Trying to decide if this was the best movie I've seen so far this year.

SPOILERS

It was "Hollywooded-up", but one of the things that was refreshing to see in this kinda flick is that dude didn't really start getting better until he took his meds and continue to use Jennifer Lawrence as his "therapy". (And I want to use the Jennifer Lawrence therapy now, too.)

No getting rid of his affliction by the power of his will, ala A BEAUTIFUL MIND.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by AriG View Post
        Action film?

The trailers are showing it as a Comedy/drama.

Anyway - I'm looking forward to watching this at some point.
        Sorry I was being ironic. I meant that it had more conflict than anything I've seen all year. Starts fast and doesn't let go for the whole film.

Comment

I enjoyed the movie, but I was surprised that it was such a straight-forward, broad, romantic comedy. The previews led me to believe it would be darker and more indie. Not that broad is a bad thing, we certainly need more good romantic comedies in this world, I just thought it was going to be a tad more unique.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Super View Post
            I enjoyed the movie, but I was surprised that it was such a straight-forward, broad, romantic comedy. The previews led me to believe it would be darker and more indie. Not that broad is a bad thing, we certainly need more good romantic comedies in this world, I just thought it was going to be a tad more unique.
            I agree. I've this kind of mislead in many trailers of late. Cross marketing? Bait and switch? Who knows?
            "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

I tend to have a resistance to films that portray mental illness as somehow merely "quirky" or eccentric, so I was a bit resistant for the first act. But I love any movie that ends with a dance contest, so I was won over.

Late Night Writer

Comment

David O. Russell spoke at the screening I attended. He said he took on the project because his son is bipolar, to bond over it and share some of their experiences. His son played the guy who kept coming to the front door to find out what was going on. I'd say it did have an indie feel, being a lower budget shoot in a real Philly neighborhood, with neighborhood residents telling them about their lives and what foods they actually serve during Eagles games, to make it feel authentic. I loved the movie.

Comment

Nice movie.

Thought it would have grossed much more.
                  Story Structure 1
                  Story Structure 2
                  Story Structure 3

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                    Great movie. Trying to decide if this was the best movie I've seen so far this year.

SPOILERS

It was "Hollywooded-up", but one of the things that was refreshing to see in this kinda flick is that dude didn't really start getting better until he took his meds and continue to use Jennifer Lawrence as his "therapy". (And I want to use the Jennifer Lawrence therapy now, too.)

No getting rid of his affliction by the power of his will, ala A BEAUTIFUL MIND.

HH

While a lot of A BEAUTIFUL MIND was H-wooded as well, John Nash stopped taking medication largely because of the negative side effects, but also because his superior reasoning allowed him to view mental illness as a puzzle. This aspect of his life is an important part of the story in ABM, and was in fact significantly underplayed in the film which suggests, towards the end, that he had found the "newer" medicines more palatable. He didn't rid himself of his affliction; but was/is able to live with its symptoms. I would have problems with a film that mytholgized the idea that someone can will away schizophrenia; but not with one that tells the remarkable story of an unusual mind that found its own way.

Comment

Originally posted by jcpdoc View Post
                      While a lot of A BEAUTIFUL MIND was H-wooded as well, John Nash stopped taking medication largely because of the negative side effects, but also because his superior reasoning allowed him to view mental illness as a puzzle. This aspect of his life is an important part of the story in ABM, and was in fact significantly underplayed in the film which suggests, towards the end, that he had found the "newer" medicines more palatable. He didn't rid himself of his affliction; but was/is able to live with its symptoms. I would have problems with a film that mytholgized the idea that someone can will away schizophrenia; but not with one that tells the remarkable story of an unusual mind that found its own way.
                      Maybe I missed that in the flick, then.

And I'll just disagree with the "superior reasoning allowed him to view mental illness as a puzzle".

That's the Hollywood version, and has no basis in reality. And though it's been a long time since I've seen the flick and read the book, I believe a lot of what was skipped in the movie was Nash putting himself in an environment where the daily routine never changed (he was living with his mother or sister? do I remember that right?).

If one wants to see a movie that's remarkably close to depicting schizophrenia and its effects, check out SPIDER.

HH

Comment

Both critics and audiences are loving this (according to Rotten Tomatoes) and it's getting Oscar buzz.

I appreciate that it took the rom-com conventions and twisted them, but I still wasn't crazy about it. It felt like a rushed draft to me, and I just didn't believe in the reality of those characters.
                        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

I loved this movie. The characters were well done. I'm in love with Jennifer Lawrence. This is Bradley Cooper's best movie. I was unsure of him as a serious actor, but he proved me wrong. David O. Russel is on a hell of a run. He's got American Bullsh*t next which is a great script.

I hope this wins Best picture. Jennifer Lawrence should win best actress.

Comment

Great movie, saw it last night. There were strong references to use of his willpower and reasoning toward the beginning, especially during the therapy sessions.

Comment

It was definitely one of my favorite movies of 2012. It felt real to me and I bought them as a couple.

Comment

Working...
                              X