No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jack Reacher - SPOILERS!

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post
    Sounds like most of you liked the film based on the plot rather than the depth of the lead character (fatal flaw or lack of it), his arc (or lack of it), or movie theme, etc.

I probably won't see it again but it'll probably make a gazillon dollars before it's through so who's to argue with success.
    That's Jack Reacher for you. No nonsense. Straight to the point.

No emotional bull.

Comment

They actually tried to have him change a little in some of the books, but it didn't really work.

Not all the best characters go on this grand arc, particularly in these type of films - the Man With No Name, Snake Plissken. The fun is in watching these guys roll over everyone in their way.

Comment

i haven't read the books, but i must say i enjoyed it greatly. intelligent pulp. it was suspensful and funny when it needed be. i also noticed a lot of artistic details that you normally won't see it crime thrillers. one was the very david lynchean strangling scene(outside the house with one hand). it was pure terror and awsomeness.
        i also loved the music in this. rosamund pike was hot and the only woman on film i've seen this year that wasn't a dumb bimbo. i really liked her car too.

Comment

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/jack...in-the-balance

If you're holding out hope for Jack Reacher 2, the odds aren't looking too great at the moment...

Comment

Jack Reacher

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post
            Sounds like most of you liked the film based on the plot rather than the depth of the lead character (fatal flaw or lack of it), his arc (or lack of it), or movie theme, etc.
            Only two characters actually interested me: Duvall's Cash and Pike's Helen. Everyone else was very two-dimensional. Not being familiar with the novels, (where there's clearly more depth, and height, given to Reacher's character), I was puzzled as to why he was reduced to being an enigma, (a drifter, with no driver's license and no credit cards, illegally driving cars that he borrows). Was he purposely living out-of-sight, or just traveling light, I wondered. As a veritable "Mr. X", I do have stories and experiences, staying off-the-radar and traveling light, (but my investigations more often relate to Fortean phenomena).

Cruise's Reacher was an unflappable machine. The only flaws that he displayed was his propensity to get ambushed by too many bad guys. I'd have preferred to see him getting left at the side of the road by passing cars, while trying to hitchhike, or being turned away by a motel's clerk, for his lack of a credit card when trying to rent a room. Didn't happen. His solution, in a crisis, was to recruit the aid of an elderly Marine, Duvall's Cash, (who provided the best character in this film).

The crime was ridiculous, and the chief antagonist was unbelievable. To show one's loyalty and sincere apologies, chew off your fingers? A trail of corruption, ambushes, car chases, dead bodies, disappearances, and stolen millions, all done in the shadows; yet, they need a mass shooting, in broad daylight, to overcome their minor opposition in a business deal? I didn't buy that story, the protagonist (with no character arc), nor the antagonist, (with a vague background and no motive but evilness), in this film.

Gun fights, martial arts, and car chases, (if you like that); not much romance, (Pike's best scene was at Reacher's motel room); and, a Hollywood ending, with the drifter riding off into the sunset, aboard a bus? Before I watch a sequel to this, I'd have to read one of the books to see what else is missing from the screenplay.

"You think I'm a hero? I am not a hero. I'm a drifter with nothing to lose."
            JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

I enjoyed this. Good, pulpy and gritty crime flick. Well written, well directed, and well acted. Some really cool scenes.

On the surface, it's pretty generic material. But the talent involved makes it much better than this kind of fare usually is.

Comment

Rented it on Xbox Live the other night. I enjoyed it. Cruise was good. Pike was gorgeous (as always). Wasn't amazing but I was entertained.
                "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

"Lee Child", Reacher; Pittsburgh The Movie....

I watched this Tom Cruise Turkey last night on home video(Red Box DVD).

It was what I expected; toilet paper thin premise, stale acting, macho posturing, extras smirking & beaming over movie-star: Tom Cruise.
                  Robert Duvall showing why he's an American treasure.
                  Acclaimed dir Warner Herzog over-acting.
                  A "vast consperacy" to gain audience support & get them rooting for the "hero"; Jack Reacher, who even in author; "Lee Child's"(not his real name ) books comes off as a unstable sochopath.
                  As a real US Army veteran(MPs, active duty), I can tell you no one like Jack Reacher would get very far in the US armed forces. Even in the USACIDC(criminal investigations) or MPI(military police investigations), there are standards, rules, SOPs, psych evals, promotion review boards, etc.
                  The novels are awful(I read two of them). Cruise is a great actor but this character & story were sub-standard.
                  I will say the stunt work & gun fight scenes were well made. The quarry gun battle was far better then the low light ending of Miami Vice(2006).
                  It was great to see the Steel City on display. Check out Pittsburgh, The Movie on www.youtube.com

Beefy
                  I'd rather get bank credit, than screen credit.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                    I ejnoyed the chase scene with the (I don't know, Camaro or was it a Malibu? Charger?)
                    Chevelle SS I think. And some of the best stunt driving from an actor I've ever seen. Props to Cruise for his wheelman skills.
                    Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Working...
                    X