Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 Films You Liked That Many Thought Sucked

I think the point of these kinds of threads is to just discuss movies and opinions.

The original poster put Zero Dark Thirty as their example, which I think most would agree is an odd choice since it's supposed to be one of the best movies of the year...but maybe in his circle everyone said it sucked. That's okay. It's a perfect example of how this all just a discussion and not be taken very seriously.

I also think this kind of thread is a good way to tell people, "Hey, this movie that got panned, ignored, and/or overlooked actually has some redeeming qualities for at home viewing when you get the chance."
    On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

Yes, you are allowed your opinion. Just make sure it's the right one.

"Many" as in the DD community or generally among audiences and critics? If the latter, LOOPER and ZERO DARK THIRTY got amazing Tomato ratings. DREDD and FLIGHT also decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
        Alien came out in '79. But if you want a trashy film that really was an influence, try Mario Bava's Planet of the Vampires. Very low budget, but fascinating to watch.
        You're right. I should have said PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES.

I tried to watch GALAXY OF TERROR awhile back, (it was on the EPIX channel). Got about fifteen minutes into it, and -- Uh-uh, I don't have to put up with this.

Do you think today's movies, thirty years from now, will look as fake and cheesy as all but the best from thirty years ago ...? That is, if people still watch movies. (Maybe our AI surrogates will watch them for us.)

BEL AMI was the Robt. Pattinson film I was thinking of, as a film that got panned fairly bad -- but I liked the trailer.

Comment

^In 30 years time, everyone will be watching films on their mobile phones.

And in those films, everyone will say out loud what they type on their "social" network page, because people will refuse to interact in any truly social way, making for bizarrely interesting drama scenes.

On topic:

Nothing wrong with liking or disliking something which others tended to have the opposite disposition towards... but let's try not to be mooks, because it gets old, fast.
          Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by one seven spectrum View Post
            A thread titled "2012 Films You Liked That Many Thought Sucked" and you say it has no place in this thread, yet I liked it and many I know thought it sucked?

Douche.
            Originally posted by one seven spectrum View Post
            So the thread asks for someone to list a film they liked that they also found, in their experiences with life, that others didn't enjoy. And then people go on to sh*t bag someone for stating the film they liked but also found others didn't like wasn't "correct" by their standards - but then when the person who stated their opinion calls the douche out for their disrespecting their opinion, a thing we all have called "individual subjectivity", it's hate on account of the original poster?

If people want to like a film? Great. If people want to hate a film, that's fine too. But for someone to mock/condescend another human being for having an individual taste that differs to their own based on subjectivity?

Douche move. Troll-like. And just goes to show how immature the person is for picking on someone else for liking something they didn't. Bit of respect goes a long way. I guess it needs to be "earned" around here.
            You might want to check your offensensitivity meter. All I did was point out that LOOPER was too well-regarded (94% on RT, almost an 8 on IMDb) to really fit well in the thread. I suppose "that many thought sucked" is subjective, but most films released last year got less respect. I wasn't being condescending (although now I sort of am).

So save it for when I actually am trolling.
            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
              I tried to watch GALAXY OF TERROR awhile back, (it was on the EPIX channel). Got about fifteen minutes into it, and -- Uh-uh, I don't have to put up with this.
              I'm not recommending it as a good horror film, 'cause it's not. It's kind of awful. But James Cameron was production designer on it, and did some second unit work...which means he may have directed the rape worm scene. Which is one of the most jawdroppingly wrong scenes in horror.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I'm not recommending it as a good horror film, 'cause it's not. It's kind of awful. But James Cameron was production designer on it, and did some second unit work...which means he may have directed the rape worm scene. Which is one of the most jawdroppingly wrong scenes in horror.
                I own this film. It is awesome... in its own way. Oddly, seems to be inspired by SOLARIS... and it inspired EVENT HORIZON.

I think the worm rape scene is on YouTube... though maybe in a PG form.

I liked MIB3 - even though I shouldn't have. The ending was unexpectedly emotional. I also liked 21 JUMP STREET, it made me laugh by playing with the conventions of the action flick. I think BATTLESHIP sucked - but also managed to have 3 good scenes (one legged guy kicks ass, old guys kick ass, and something else I forgot and will not re-see the film to remember). TOTAL RECALL had some great set pieces (car chase) but paled when compared to the Ah-nuld version. I had low expectations for these - and expectations are part of why we are surprised by a film or not.

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Odd thing about MIB3 is that I really enjoyed it...even though I don't believe it had an actual script for a chunk of the third act. Or the editor was on crack.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Prometheus was magical in so many ways. One of my favorites of the year.

Total Recall and Battleship were both enjoyable fluff. They were elevated by likable actors and some very fine action scenes.

John Carter is a messy, but entertaining old school adventure film.

Snow White looks terrific and has a good cast. The story is generic, but offers some simple pleasures.

Bourne Legacy is really good whenever it concentrates on the hero and the heroine, and forgets about all the generic characters in different bureaus, who exist mainly to build bridges to the previous Bourne movies.

Act Of Valor is dull whenever it's about character, but man those action scenes rocked.

I didn't mention many other flicks like MIB3, Dredd, Spider-Man, Looper, etc, that others have mentioned. Because I think those films were rather widely liked, and not getting much hate. Bourne4 is probably the same. Maybe Snow-white. The flicks had solid, if unremarkable responses. Anyway, I liked them all.

Comment

Odd thing about MIB3 is that I really enjoyed it...even though I don't believe it had an actual script for a chunk of the third act. Or the editor was on crack.
                      I can tell you there was definitely a script. It was being worked on, but it existed. They just didn't get everything they'd hoped during shooting, particularly on the gantry, for a variety of reasons and had to make do. It happens on movies big and small more often than you'd think.

Comment

Yeah, I was being hyperbolic. But I could tell something was wrong.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

2012's edition of TOTAL RECALL, with Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsdale, Jessica Biel and Bryan Cranston. The second part of Act Two piled twists on twists, until credibility was jeopardized, but the finale brought it all together. (Or enough of it to allow me, when all was said and done, to give it 4 netflix *'s).

The original, with Schwarzenegger, remains the better flick, but this one was different enough to make it watchable in its own right.

If you're in the mood for an action flick, don't miss TC the remake.

Comment

Working...
                          X