Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Original HITCHER (1986)

As someone born in the early 80's (1981) Rutger Hauer has always been "John Ryder" to me but I actually forgot how great he was in The Hitcher. Every time he's on screen you can just feel the intensity. I wish he was in more of the film.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Reg Thorpe; 01-17-2013, 09:43 AM. Reason: My phone hates me. Yes, my phone.

Re: The Original HITCHER (1986)

To this day, I check my french fries for fingers.

Comment

Loved this movie. Rutger was a great villan!

Comment

One of my favorite bad-guy performances. But I'd say his intensity is equaled by his playfulness in the role. You can tell he's loving every minute of it. It's in his eyes.

On a side note, I caught a seminar with the writer, Eric Red, some time ago. If you get a chance, look up the story of his car accident.

Comment

Rutger Hauer is one of those genius actors, who needs a very strong director to do his best work. Otherwise, his performances can devolve into strange side roads of "just how much I can get away with and not be stopped". I love some of his stuff, can't stand others. Fav performances would be Bladerunner, Blind Justice, The Legend of the Holy Drinker.

Comment

Blind Justice, AKA The American Zatoichi. A true stinker - American Ninja urinated over it.

And for the OP:
            Hauer was in enough of the film to make his scenes matter; any more would likely have been over-exposing him.
            A true classic later followed by a pointless, forgettable remake.
            Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Absolutely love this film to bits, one of my all time favourites. Rutger Hauer at his best.
              Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by thestuart View Post
                Absolutely love this film to bits, one of my all time favourites. Rutger Hauer at his best.
                I actually forgot how much I loved it and, amazingly enough, I didn't get to see Blade Runner till I was about twenty-nine.

Hauer Fact- Eli Roth wanted him as the "Czech Businessman" in Hostel 1. If he'd taken the role it would've been his SECOND movie where he has a mono about relationships between food and man. The first being "Surviving the Game". Not a bad film, in my opinion, but nowhere near "Hitcher".

Comment

Originally posted by Reg Thorpe View Post
                  I actually forgot how much I loved it and, amazingly enough, I didn't get to see Blade Runner till I was about twenty-nine.

Hauer Fact- Eli Roth wanted him as the "Czech Businessman" in Hostel 1. If he'd taken the role it would've been his SECOND movie where he has a mono about relationships between food and man. The first being "Surviving the Game". Not a bad film, in my opinion, but nowhere near "Hitcher".
                  Eli Roth - Hauer combo would be awesome.

What I love about Hitcher is the continual escalation without any reasoning. The antagonist is simply just a monster. There's no sappy backstory to empathise with, there's no logic to his actions, yet he is devious and inventive. You go from a guy riding in car freaking somebody out to a guy shooting muffle fluffling police helicopters into cop cars just to continue freaking him out.
                  Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by thestuart View Post
                    Eli Roth - Hauer combo would be awesome.

What I love about Hitcher is the continual escalation without any reasoning. The antagonist is simply just a monster. There's no sappy backstory to empathise with, there's no logic to his actions, yet he is devious and inventive. You go from a guy riding in car freaking somebody out to a guy shooting muffle fluffling police helicopters into cop cars just to continue freaking him out.

Exactly, but at the same time "John Ryder's" motivation holds true with ALL mass murderers, he won't stop until someone stops him.

He wants to die and he always seems mildly amused that nobody has killed him yet.

Fun Hitcher Fact- Dale from The Walking Dead plays one of the few Police Officers that DOESN'T get killed. Should have noted the actor's name before starting this...I'll just blame my phone...

Comment

Originally posted by Reg Thorpe View Post
                      Exactly, but at the same time "John Ryder's" motivation holds true with ALL mass murderers, he won't stop until someone stops him.

He wants to die and he always seems mildly amused that nobody has killed him yet.

Fun Hitcher Fact- Dale from The Walking Dead plays one of the few Police Officers that DOESN'T get killed. Should have noted the actor's name before starting this...I'll just blame my phone...
                      Spot on, it's primal. There's no trigger word, no silver bullet, no reasoning, he's out to get you.

You can fight him hand to hand, you can't outsmart him, you can't hide from him, nobody can protect you from him and if he's not coming for you, you know he's after some other innocent person.

And as a viewer you totally believe it, one of my favourite scenes is when he turns up in the black pickup, and smirks across at them while casually holding the revolver, it's like he's saying "Yeah, just randomly pulled this truck out my ass, and you're totally buying into it."

Comment

Under appreciated film & work on Hauer's part. Glad to see some love for it! Wish more directors knew how to use Hauer, cause he can give some of the most entertainingly creepy performances.
                        12 Angry Men is proof that all you need is a bunch of good actors, good characters, clear motivations and a table. -- Ben Odgren; Go into the Story

Comment

Working...
                        X