No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Original superheroes?

Originally posted by dangerouscreenwriter View Post
    In box office, maybe. Culturally Robocop's had much more impact, spawning sequels, TV shows, comic books, classic quotes & pretty much becoming a pop icon. In that context the other 2 don't even come close.

Even including Hancock and Incredibles, I'd still say there's a lack of success with new superheroes. My question still stands... any educated guesses as to why?
    'Cause most superhero movies suck?

I think you're limiting the discussion to guys and gals in masks and capes.

Quite frankly, Hollywood's always been in love with the superhero, and most superhero flicks are quite successful:

DIRTY HARRY
    SALT
    DIE HARD
    MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE
    WHERE EAGLES DARE
    ROCKY
    PREDATOR

These are off the top of my head, and don't even include the private eye genre, and any others I'm not thinking of.

Those guys in those movies ARE superheroes.

Comment

The Matrix (sort of)
      "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
        'Cause most superhero movies suck?

I think you're limiting the discussion to guys and gals in masks and capes.

Quite frankly, Hollywood's always been in love with the superhero, and most superhero flicks are quite successful:

DIRTY HARRY
        SALT
        DIE HARD
        MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE
        WHERE EAGLES DARE
        ROCKY
        PREDATOR

These are off the top of my head, and don't even include the private eye genre, and any others I'm not thinking of.

Those guys in those movies ARE superheroes.
        John McClane wasn't a superhero in the original Die Hard, he was supposed to be the every man... but going by the DH5 trailer he seems to have more powers than Superman now.

Are we really calling Robocop a superhero in the traditional sense?

Comment

Meteorman. Remember that one guys? Not based off anything to my knowledge.

Comment

An Original Superhero...

...that first appeared in a film and was relatively successful, (for its target audience):

THE TOXIC AVENGER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27E4Qfj7iEY (YouTube trailer)

(I haven't watched this film, yet, and avoid the Troma cult.)

Originally posted by dangerouscreenwriter View Post
            Is it just that no one's created a compelling enough character yet, or that studios won't throw the necessary funds behind an unproven hero, or something else entirely Hollywood's keeping secret from me?
            Hollywood loves comic books. Some important people in Hollywood may have trouble reading anything more sophisticated than comic books. It's far easier, (and much cheaper), to produce a comic book than a "superhero" film, (with any expectation of financial success). Hollywood doesn't want to read a spec screenplay, when a story that has been published as a comic book is available. A young male audience with limited reading skills could create enough buzz to "greenlight" that project. The brass brads holding together a spec screenplay may not be shiny enough to distract the attention of the Hollywood elite away from their comic books.

An animated children's TV series spin-off, Toxic Crusaders, featured Toxie as the leader of a team of mutated superheroes who fought against evil alien polluters. The cartoon series was short-lived and it was quickly cancelled. New Line Cinema had planned a live action movie based on the cartoon, but the deal fell through.
            JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus View Post
              The Matrix (sort of)
              Andy and Lana (nee Larry) Wachowski were going to make it a comic book. They had conceptual art by Steve Skroce (Spider-Man). When they showed it to friend/producer Joel Silver, he told them to screw the comic book angle and told them to make it into a film.
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Working...
              X