Last of the Mohicans: Original Version on DVD?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last of the Mohicans: Original Version on DVD?

there's a big difference between the last of the mohicans i saw on VHS and the DVD director's extended version.

the original version is far superior and flows much better.

does anyone know if that version is available on blu ray and what it's called?

i dont know what michael mann was thinking with his extended release but there's no music for several sequences and he cuts key lines that take away from the story.

just a terrible cut.
    Last edited by Qazworld; 01-19-2013, 06:23 PM.

Re: Last of the Mohicans: Original Version on DVD?

Originally posted by Qazworld View Post
    there's a big difference between the last of the mohicans i saw on VHS and the DVD director's extended version. the original version is far superior and flows much better.

i dont know what michael mann was thinking with his extended release but its the flow of several sequences and just doesnt work as well as the original.
    Strongly agree. It's one of numerous director's cuts that are weaker than the theatrical cuts (Troy being the most notable, due to the replacement of the excellent original soundtrack with an atrocious mishmash of irrelevant music from Planet of the Apes).

As far as I know, the best edition of Mann's original Last of the Mohicans was the laserdisc. Nothing since.

Comment

thats so sad and ridiculous.

Comment

BLOOD SIMPLE also has a terrible director's cut - they remove set ups to lines that pay off later and cut some important things... problem with that one is that the VHS has completely different music than the theatrical release because they didn't buy the rights! So you can only see it in the cinema!

Lots of director's cuts suck, because the edits made for theatrical release were made for a reason.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I think the only two director's cuts that actually made the flick better was AMADEUS and FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING.

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
            I think the only two director's cuts that actually made the flick better was AMADEUS and FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING.
            Agreed on the second. Haven't seen the director's cut of Amadeus.

Here are another two cases where the theatrical cuts were better:

-Payback (dramatically so)
            -Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (unhumorous comedy material put back in)

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
              Agreed on the second. Haven't seen the director's cut of Amadeus.

Here are another two cases where the theatrical cuts were better:

-Payback (dramatically so)
              I disagree with PAYBACK. I actually like the theatrical version better. That's just me, though, since I seem to be in the minority on that one.

Comment

How come they never made a sequel to LAST OF THE MOHICANS?

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Last of the Mohicans: Original Version DVD

Yes.

Get it here: http://www.amazon.com/Last-Mohicans-.../dp/B0071CL8HY

However, it's also available on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mccfcLFTQjM

One of the best bits is when a drunken Indian savage, (Boris Karloff), steals a baby away from its mother and tosses it up into the air. (from 47:03 to 47:43). He was a real monster, long before his appearance in FRANKENSTEIN.

Wait....

They remade that classic film?
                  JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

I hear the bluray of last of the mohicans is a bit underwhelming, I'm keen to see the film because I haven't yet. As far as directors cuts, Any Given Sunday and Kingdom of Heaven are both good examples of superior versions. The theatrical version of Kingdom of Heaven was really underwhelming, the director's cut is epic.
                    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                      The theatrical version of Kingdom of Heaven was really underwhelming, the director's cut is epic.
                      Never saw the theatrical version, but I almost couldn't make it through the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven -- and I love period films and medieval films in particular. But Scott's cut moved at the speed of the Athabasca Glacier. It was so ponderous that getting to the end of that movie was an almighty chore. I still find it astonishing that any director could take the story of the Crusades -- so rife with thrilling possibility -- and made such a deadening film out of it.

The Monaham script isn't great and many of the film's flaws are right there, but at 121 pages, there's no reason that it had to be stretched out to such a padded length.

I still blame Scott's Kingdom of Heaven for giving knightly films a bad name and creating a false impression of their being slow and filled with heavy political moralizing. I wish Hollywood's collective mind could be wiped clean of Kingdom of Heaven, leaving Braveheart in its place as a representative of what medieval films can and should be.
                      Last edited by karsten; 01-20-2013, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Disappointed to hear this about Last of the Mohicans. My son has become a big DDL fan and I was looking forward to showing him this. I hate it when you tell a kid how great a movie is going to be and it's become a different movie from the one you originally saw.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                          How come they never made a sequel to LAST OF THE MOHICANS?

- Bill
                          It's a good question. The film was a critical and commercial success, and Mann had four more Leatherstocking novels with Daniel Day Lewis's character that he could have adapted.

Last of the Mohicans is another example, like Braveheart, of how to make utterly thrilling and popular period-action films that audiences really enjoy, and which don't become dated, the way most sci-fi actioners do. These films make money. Hollywood should be creating more.

Comment

Working...
                          X