Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Raiders of the Lost Ark" on Scriptnotes

The discussions were great. Read them a couple years back thanks to Mystery Man on Film:

http://mysterymanonfilm.blogspot.com...onference.html

Lucas was in top form here. He nailed what would become the film.
    "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

I listened to this today - loved the deconstruction of each of the acts and key sequences. This was my favourite franchise as a kid - I loved Star Wars but I lived for Indiana Jones.

@karsten Also, Craig did mention the shaft of light through the staff in the map room - only briefly, but he acknowledged the genius and power of that scene.

I haven't watched this in ages, and I haven't shown it to my kids yet, either. Looks like I've got unexpected plans this weekend.
      sigpic

Website
      Tweets
      Book

Comment

Originally posted by Bairn_Writer View Post
        I think there is a lot of revisionist history goes on with Temple of Doom. When it came it everyone loved it, don't remember anyone not liking it, but now lots of people like to beat it down for some reason.
        Well if your dad or older sibling didn't get all wide-eyed and start chanting while pretending to pull your heart out of your chest when you were a little kid and think that was the coolest thing, then fine the movie isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
          I concur. These are "masterclasses" (to use the term employed in the Scriptnotes podcast) in how films that exhibit complete sincerity (a critical term here) and a serious approach to their underlying premise can also have moments of tremendous fun. There is no contraction in that.

It's when one senses that a movie is sending itself up -- that it wants the audience to laugh at the movie, not with the movie -- that the material is torpedoed. Then, one starts watching the movie at an ironic distance, rather than being immersed in it, and all the tension and involvement is gone.

Also, films such as Fellowship, Raiders, Star Wars 1977 demonstrate how one can use the skin of a popcorn film to clothe meaningful themes and messages. The underlying depth means that they continue to resonate with audiences. Their imitators stop at the popcorn stage and deliver nothing but shallow entertainment -- and in fact, even their entertainment value suffers as a result.
          Love all of this insight. Thanks.
          "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
          Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

This gem from Craig struck me (c/p from transcript):

Craig: Yeah, I mean, the notion - I often think about second acts as heroes starting to see glimpses of another way of living their lives. And those glimpses can be challenging and they challenge their central belief of how the world is on their way to eventually realizing, "No, this is how I should live. This is the way the world is.-
            For whatever reason, the way he put it just smacked me right in the middle of my forehead.

I hope we get to see this kind of thing again in the podcasts. Not saying I don't also enjoy the discussions of the business aspect or the 3 page challenges etc., but the full-film breakdown was great.
            "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
            Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
              *cough*...... ermm.......

ATOMIC BOMB RESISTANT FLYING REFRIGERATORS!!!
              And on that note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFKu_bwMoYE

All too true.

Comment

And on that note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFKu_bwMoYE

All too true.
                It still boggles my mind how awful this film was. It just goes to show you how one can't just "think up" a brilliant story idea. It has a lot to do with luck, and occasionally, ripoffs.

Though I kinda like Shia Labeouf now after he admitted it stunk and was worried he'd ruined the franchise.
                I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

There is where there is interesting daylight between their two perspectives. If you listen from 1:06.21 on, you hear Mr. August say that it is not his favorite moment in the film and that Indy instead should have made a "choice," yet Mr. Mazin eloquently defends the ending precisely as it is. IMO, the latter is the correct view.
                  Jones does make a choice... in the scene just before; he chooses not to blow up the ark.
                  INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
                  Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Comment

Great podcast, thank you, Craig Mazin and John August.

A gem.

FA4
                    "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Was Marion's drinking contest really against a woman?

Comment

Originally posted by m.j.r. View Post
                        Was Marion's drinking contest really against a woman?
                        No.

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Regan

Comment

I knew it.

In your face, John August.

Comment

I thought it was a woman too, but like a butt ugly woman.
                            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by Bairn_Writer View Post
                              I think there is a lot of revisionist history goes on with Temple of Doom. When it came it everyone loved it, don't remember anyone not liking it, but now lots of people like to beat it down for some reason.
                              Well, Stephen Spielberg himself is quoted as saying "I wasn't happy with Temple of Doom at all" and "Temple of Doom is my least favorite of the trilogy"; furthermore, Wikipedia states that the film "received mixed reviews upon its release," so it's not at all the case that when it came out everyone loved it. Even today, its IMDb score is in the 7s, while the other parts of the trilogy are in the 8s.

Having recently viewed the trilogy once more, I find my opinion reconfirmed that Raiders is far, far above any of the other films. I don't even like to think of them as a trilogy at all (let alone a tetralogy) -- just a lone masterpiece with lesser sequels. Raiders stands on its own as a perfect movie.

If Raiders is a 10/10, Temple of Doom is a 6/10. The MacGuffin lacks resonance, the female lead is not especially appealing or interesting, there is a glaring lack of awe and wonder, the comedy is very forced, and Short Round is the Jake Lloyd of the movie -- an insufferable kid character who is like nails on a chalkboard in every scene he's in.

Now, Last Crusade is different. I would say it's uneven. 7/10 with moments that rise to 8/10. The scenes in Venice are quite inspired (although you didn't actually need to have Indy say "X marks the spot" -- a brilliant sight gag ruined by unnecessary commentary), and the finale in the Grail temple is quite effective.

Best of all, Elsa Schneider is the finest character in any Raiders film (outside Indy himself), and easily the most compelling female lead in these movies. Not only is she stupendously beautiful, but, like a film-noir femme fatale, she is morally complex, both good and "bad." When she dies, one feels the loss acutely, and wishes she could have lived. She is very much Catwoman to Indy's Batman. (Even her death is similar to one of Catwoman's "deaths" in an episode of the old '60s Batman TV show.)

However, the film has a lighter tone than the other two movies, and the action gets too cartoonish at times (e.g., the tank battle). Raiders had some light-hearted moments, true, but most of the violence in the movie was more serious and had an edge, which this film lacked.

Now, Crystal Skull, on the other hand, cannot even be mentioned with the others. It's a failed movie - 4/10 at best, perhaps 3/10. That "Honest Trailers" clip identified many of the problems, and the Red Letter Media review points out more, but in addition to all of those, it doesn't even look like an Indiana Jones film. One thing about the original trilogy is that, even when it's weak, it's still beautiful to look at, thanks to Slocombe's gorgeous photography. (Color! Does anyone remember colour -- you know, rich, natural colour?) Indy IV is slathered in that pukey green digital-grading tint which has coated everything this side of The Matrix. It makes the film ugly to look at, and visually separates it from the other movies.

Comment

Working...
                              X