Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with the Curve - Today's Spec?

Just saw this. Cute but forgettable.

Their logline: An aging baseball scout with failing sight hits the road with his estranged daughter to pursue a promising young ballplayer, and they learn just how much they have in common as they make their way from Georgia to North Carolina.

The writer is an established name, not huge but known, in Hollywood.

Question: Do you think an unknown writer today can get get any traction if he/she sends something like this out to producers/managers/agents?

Re: Trouble with the Curve - Today's Spec?

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post

Their logline: An aging baseball scout with failing sight hits the road with his estranged daughter to pursue a promising young ballplayer, and they learn just how much they have in common as they make their way from Georgia to North Carolina.

Question: Do you think an unknown writer today can get get any traction if he/she sends something like this out to producers/managers/agents?

I don't know.

But I read the script and my thoughts were kinds of like, "Hmmmm". "That's nice." "I thought that's where they were going, but it was well done."

Earnest daughter. Bad dad. Know those characters. Still well done.

It would probably place in contests and earn a good score on BL. But many people wouldn't read it or lose interest quickly. Or say they can't imagine the trailer.

But another thought was this guy knows the territory and the tone was perfect and I'm still reading because what's going to happen to this bastard...?

So it probably doesn't matter...if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post

Established name? That's not what I heard...

I'm pretty sure, "Trouble with the Curve" is a ten year old script. All the Baseball references in the script are old.

The script was sitting in the slush pile and Clint Eastwood was looking for a sports movie. The studio passed this to him and he liked it and they decided to make it.

I heard when they tracked down the writer (he gave up on Hollywood) and was managing a coffee shop. Now he's back in the game.

Goes to show, this stuff is totally random.

Thought the movie was great. Justin Timberlake was miscast, but other than that; pretty solid film.

Comment

I thought it was good, Clint never makes bad movies. Some are better than others and obviously nowhere near up with his best (or even most recent) but it was a nice couple of hours.

Amy Adams i think is a great actress, she seemed effortless and didn't get into any overacting, very natural.

I actually thought that Timberlake was way better in this than the Social Network and is developing, but it's not hard from the point he started from. He can just about carry the confident love interest, but to agree with magnet don't really see him as a former pitcher.

Comment

I found it to be an enjoyable little movie.

If that story about the writer is true, good for him.
          "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Put it this way: if you're trying to come up with an idea that sparks the most interest, that's not it.

Lukewarm idea. Lukewarm film. Lukewarm response.

Most scripts don't get picked up because an aging super-film-star finally found a role that mirrors his life.

I will say this, though: Good indy idea.

Comment

Script was not passed on to Clint by the studios, but it had a previous attachment.

Yeah, the movie wasn't great, but Lorenz is literally an Eastwood directing clone without the knowledge of being an actor.

Randy Brown made plenty of money on this and is still getting work, so I don't think it's something to frown upon either.

Comment

Trouble With the Curve

I just recently saw Trouble With the Curve (TWTC) and was underwhelmed by the baseball inaccuracies.

The movie seemed choppy and none of the characters were given a chance to develop. And what is up with that clogging scene? Soooo random.

I can't seem to get Amy Adams away from her Enchanted character. I always expect her to break out in song and dance in whatever movie she is in!

I'm an aspiring screenwriter so I was naturally inclined to look up Randy Brown. There is NOTHING on IMDb about him except TWTC. I guess I found that he wrote a couple TV episodes in the past, but that's it. How does some seemingly random aspiring screenwriter land a gig with Warner Bros. like that? I need to do whatever he did!

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
                  Script was not passed on to Clint by the studios, but it had a previous attachment.

Yeah, the movie wasn't great, but Lorenz is literally an Eastwood directing clone without the knowledge of being an actor.

Randy Brown made plenty of money on this and is still getting work, so I don't think it's something to frown upon either.

How did the script get passed to Clint?

Comment

It's essentially impossible for an unknown writer to get traction with the big studios, managers, and agents.

Randy Brown is represented by Charlie Ferraro at UTA.

Does anybody else feel like there was some behind-the-scenes deal making??

Get this- Randy Brown was a nobody, who somehow got his script to Clint and Warner Bros. That doesn't happen unless you KNOW someone. I'm wondering if he really wrote it. Maybe he hijacked the script from someone else. In his interviews he claims to be a baseball fan, but it's comical how many baseball inaccuracies there are in this movie. How did he get "his" script to Clint??

Comment

Originally posted by jackmaniswolvie View Post
                      It's essentially impossible for an unknown writer to get traction with the big studios, managers, and agents.

Get this- Randy Brown was a nobody, who somehow got his script to Clint and Warner Bros. That doesn't happen unless you KNOW someone. I'm wondering if he really wrote it. Maybe he hijacked the script from someone else. In his interviews he claims to be a baseball fan, but it's comical how many baseball inaccuracies there are in this movie. How did he get "his" script to Clint??
                      You don't know what you're talking about. At all.
                      "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

Originally posted by jackmaniswolvie View Post

What's your point? What's your agenda?
                        If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                        Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Centurio View Post
                          What's your point? What's your agenda?
                          It would be great if aspiring screenwriters could get picked up by companies like Malpaso and Warner Bros. So I'm wondering how it happened with Randy Brown and if so, was it done fairly?

Comment

Originally posted by mge457 View Post
                            You don't know what you're talking about. At all.
                            I was just thinking out loud. I'm open to hearing other opinions and ideas. What are your thoughts on Trouble with the Curve? How do you think Randy got his script to them?

Comment

I have a feeling that this whole thing wasn't done fairly at all. My cousin Ricky recently finished an ultimate frisbee spec and not one call from Clint OR Warner bros. How many other writers out there were glossed over without a seconds thought? How many "behind-the-scenes deal making".. scenes were there as opposed to the before the scenes kind. And where was Randy Brown during the JFK assassination? There's more questions than answers.

Comment

Working...
                              X