Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trouble with the Curve - Today's Spec?

Originally posted by jackmaniswolvie View Post
    Get this- Randy Brown was a nobody, who somehow got his script to Clint and Warner Bros. That doesn't happen unless you KNOW someone. I'm wondering if he really wrote it...
    Let me stop you right there, Rookie. Someone who writes a script that is good enough to have people pass around town -- is not a nobody. He/she is someone who controls a property of some value. And has a useful skill or two. Imagine if you read this, "Yasiel Puig was a nobody who managed to get signed, unfairly on his part perhaps, by the LA Dodgers." Sound about right?

It's really not that hard to meet people in LA. Emily has good advice in the UTA thread. But first, master the five tools. And stop trying to follow someone else. Especially since the people involved with TWTC, all the way down the line, are probably ready to do anything but another TWTC.

Comment

Yeah, I think I'm not the only one that feels the way that I do.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/trou...brooks-writer/

Comment

I'm guessing your name is Ryan? It'll be interesting to see what the outcome of this case is.

Comment

He sent an e-query?

He gave the script to someone he knew, who gave it to someone they knew, and after being passed all over the place because people thought it was great it was passed to Malpaso by someone they knew?

- Bill (parked in Clint's space at WB a couple days after he attacked someone else's car with a golf club for doing the same (which made the papers)... but he was out of town that day.)
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

did anyone read the actual legal document? I cannot believe a qualified attorney would write like that - "The story Randy Brown told is like a lie told by a four year old who has eaten a box of Oreo cookies and stands before the parents denying he has eaten a box of coookies..."

It's written like someone moaning to his friends, not submitting legal documents for review by a judge.

The identifiers of Handfield's style are excellent too - using family photo's to reflect on the past, using broken bottles in bar fights, using the words pissed, use of older cars. Yeah, none of these ever appear in films about aging men stuck in the past

Comment

Originally posted by Bairn_Writer View Post
              did anyone read the actual legal document? I cannot believe a qualified attorney would write like that - "The story Randy Brown told is like a lie told by a four year old who has eaten a box of Oreo cookies and stands before the parents denying he has eaten a box of coookies..."

It's written like someone moaning to his friends, not submitting legal documents for review by a judge.

The identifiers of Handfield's style are excellent too - using family photo's to reflect on the past, using broken bottles in bar fights, using the words pissed, use of older cars. Yeah, none of these ever appear in films about aging men stuck in the past
              I read those parts and thought about posting them, too. Not knowing if there are true merits to the case, I don't want to seem unsympathetic -- may justice prevail. However, I agree with you. The filing reads folksy and naive, especially those examples of supposed hallmarks -- type of bar fights, classic cars, frequent use of the word "pissed"...as something proprietary when put together.

Comment

Originally posted by Bairn_Writer View Post

I don't know the guy who filed that lawsuit, but just for some perspective about lawyers...

Don West, the lawyer who defended George Zimmerman at his murder trial for killing Trayvon Martin, started his presentation with a knock-knock joke.

So, in a civil lawsuit, a reference to a kid stealing Oreos is not necessarily indicative of the lawyer's ability to win the case.

Comment

This isn't a lawyer standing up trying to impress a jury though, it's a written legal document and constantly refers to 'the racket' etc. I'm not lawyer but deal with legal documents and lawyers every day (corporate lawyers) and have never seen anything so 'chatty' and informal in any legal document.

I've no idea who is right and wrong here, but that document doesn't scream profesional to me, it actually reads like it was written by a child ironically.

edited to add, canela nailed the right wording - 'folksy and naive', good way to describe it.

Comment

Someone else who doesn't know what they're talking about? If you read down through the comments, you would realize this suit is without merit. First, Brown's script was under option by The Bubble Factory as long ago as the late '90s. More to the point, the plaintiff's lawyer appears entirely unfamiliar with intellectual property law. The kind of generic aspects of the plaintiff's script, 'broken bottles in bar fight', 'family photos' etc., would be laughed out of court as 'scenes a faire', which were defined in the landmark 1978 Alexander v. Haley case as 'incidents, characters, or settings, which as a practical matter are indispensable or at least standard in the treatment of a given topic'.

It's a non-starter.

Comment

Working...
                    X