Discuss...

Re: J.J. is directing EPISODE VII

Comment

That sux.

Comment

Horrible beyond words.

In place of mythology, it will be mind-numbing, hurky-jerky action, action, action.

Vomit.

Comment

Fanboys will always complain.

The rest won't give a **** until they see a trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
            Fanboys will always complain.

The rest won't give a **** until they see a trailer.
            Fanboy? What does that even mean, in this context?

As for trailers, trailers tell us nothing. The trailer for Episode I looked fantastic.

Comment

I get there are more interesting filmmakers, but this is Disney. They equate "interesting" with "risky" and they don't do risky. I think he'll do a fine job and he makes the most sense from a business standpoint.

Affleck would have produced a better finished film, but he hasn't yet proven himself in the "event film" arena, whereas JJ has and has been financially successful.

Comment

Pretty unimaginative choice. From Star Trek to Star Wars. Wow - how radical is that. Mind blowing, ain't it! These Hollywood studio executives sure live dangerously.

I saw the rebooted Star Trek and didn't like it that much but I think it was mostly down to Chris Pine's annoying version of Kirk and Simon Pegg's terrible Scottish accent. I'm sure JJ Abrams had nothing to do with that.

"May the farce be with you... always."
                Last edited by moviefan; 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Good for him!

Originally posted by Levenger View Post
                  I get there are more interesting filmmakers, but this is Disney. They equate "interesting" with "risky" and they don't do risky. I think he'll do a fine job and he makes the most sense from a business standpoint.
                  +1 (except two words: John Carter (which, I know parentheses within parentheses, Star Wars is not JC material) but that whole debacle only reinforces JJ as a go-to.)

I will need to see the movie, though.
                  Last edited by Ire; 01-24-2013, 04:38 PM.
                  #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Oh well, there's always episodes X, XI, and XII to look forward to

Comment

This is exactly what the phrase "Haters gonna hate" is about.
                      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Great choice. Hope he nails it.

Comment

Look -- Star Trek, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Prometheus -- it's kinda silly to expect franchises like these to be really good or groundbreaking now that they're 30+ years removed from source material. The spark of their creativity and inspiration has long since died out. You want good mythology? Some real original storytelling? You're gong to have to do it yourself, and for the people of today, not the people of 30 years ago.

Comment

I like JJ. Very creative. But, I worry about him doing Star Wars. I feel the Star Wars of today needs to be more adult and not be campy. Part of me wonders if he is a lil too ligh-hearted for Star Wars. I know Disney most likely won't let Lindelof near Star Wars after the Prometheus backlash. Nor do I think they would let Kurtzma/Orci. I also wonder why JJ would put this much pressure on himself. The scrutiny he will be under will be way more intense then Star Trek. He even alluded to that himself, when he first denied he would do Star Wars. Wonder what changed his mind?

I would've loved if Disney went with Affleck -- I think he would've brought a more adult nature to Star Wars. I remember Lucas talking about the Live Action Star Wars TV series he was going to do, and he said it would be more adult in nature and that's where he wanted to take Star Wars.

But maybe JJ pulls it off.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                              This is exactly what the phrase "Haters gonna hate" is about.
                              How, exactly? How is expressing a vehement opinion that this director is a disastrous fit, in terms of his usual tone and approach, to the Star Wars franchise, and will give us a Star Wars in which the deepest and most meaningful aspects of the original trilogy will be absent or buried, an example of "hating," rather than just plain "strong opposition"?

At least on my part, this is not indiscriminate antipathy, but a sincere opinion, borne out of respect for the original material.

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
                              I feel the Star Wars of today needs to be more adult and not be campy. Part of me wonders if he is a lil too light-hearted for Star Wars.
                              Yes, I think this could be one of the problems with an Abrams version.

Comment

Working...
                              X