Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: J.J. is directing EPISODE VII

Didn't he just announce two or so weeks ago that he wasn't going to?
    "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus View Post
      Didn't he just announce two or so weeks ago that he wasn't going to?
      this link probably has something to do with it
      http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Arab_1458ad_866327.gif

Comment

Originally posted by TBEagle View Post
        this link probably has something to do with it
        http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Arab_1458ad_866327.gif
        404 error?
        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Let's be clear. JJ is a very good director. One of the most creative minds in this biz. I'm just not sure if he's a great fit for Star Wars. I think Affleck would've been better suited for the adult Star Wars version people will be wanting. Star Wars (the original ones) have a serious tone and a darkness to them.

In a perfect world Chris Nolan would do Star Wars. Years ago, Lucas said he wanted Star Wars to be more adult. That was the vision he had for the live action TV series he was going to do. If you look at the books and graphic Novels that have came out about STAR WARS, there's a lot of dark material. And great material, which I hope Lucas Films mines and uses for this future Star Wars universe. I think most people don't want to see a campy version of Star Wars. Affleck fits well with the dark and serious tone of Star Wars. Plus he's in my opinion very good with characters. I really liked Affleck's work on the TOWN and Gone Baby Gone. I'm surprised Disney was seriously considering him.

But, they have a great writer on board, and I think Kasdan will probably do a polish on the script. So JJ could pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
            404 error?
            Weird it works for me, basically its a arab pouring money on a woman.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
              ...and will give us a Star Wars in which the deepest and most meaningful aspects of the original trilogy will be absent or buried...
              George Lucas already did that with the prequels.

To such a degree, in my opinion, that I think there's nowhere to go but up.
              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Courier12

Comment

Star Trek Wars: Revenge of Shatner The Hutt

Comment

I've got a bad feeling about this

Comment

EPISODE VI is a tough act to follow, Leia in bronze bikini, Ewoks, full whoops-almost-incest reveal. How do you top that?
                    Check out the DDP Logline Throwdown thread in Writing Exercises forum

Comment

JJ's a good director, but it will all come down to the script. The prequels became doomed inside the writing lounge at Lucasfilm. So the question now is, where will the story go? The SW franchise has explored a) the path to becoming a Jedi and b) the path to becoming a Sith. What's left? Star Trek (2009) was already eerily similar to A New Hope --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd0j97RhZUQ

As a sci-fi writer, I'll take a stab on where the story will go. Since the core of each film revolves around the state of either the Jedi or the Sith, I'm guessing the story will follow the rise of a new Jedi Order. Naturally, there will be forces (Imperial remnant + Sith) resisting the second coming of the Jedi, meaning lotsa space battles + lightsaber duels. Plenty of conflict here.

Since this is space opera, the story will be a hero's journey following a young blue-eyed teenage white person (insert Chasing Amy joke here). But maybe this time the protag is a girl (Jennifer Lawrence) who kicks but in a sexy space costume (Disney needs a surefire hit).

Mentored by an aging Mark Hamill (Luke), she meets a wide variety of alien and robot allies to help her along her quest to stop a creepy looking Sith bad guy from aquiring an ancient and mystical artifact (think Ark of the Covenant) that has the capacity to destory the light side of the force, plunging the galaxy into eternal darkness. Lotsa adventure and high stakes here.

If J.J. Abrams is reading this, I'm available for a free story consultation.
                      I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

I'd pay to watch that.

...Maybe throw in a female Sith lordette in a bronze bikini? Too much?
                        Check out the DDP Logline Throwdown thread in Writing Exercises forum

Comment

Kasdan + Abrams sounds a hell lot better than Lucas + Lucas.

But I could name a two dozen directors that I would consider better choices. The problem with Abrams is that his visual language is still strongly rooted in TV. M:I-3 and Star Trek are good movies, particularly the latter one, but the action is choppy, and Abrams doesn't quite have the knack for the kind of sense of wonder, that great visual directors can do.

The rumored Kasdan + Bird combo would have been amazing.

Comment

Speaking as someone who's generally indifferent to Star Wars, the only reason I'll watch this is because of J.J.

I'm much more worried about the adaptation of Enders Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweeney Todd View Post
                              Originally posted by Karsten
                              ...and will give us a Star Wars in which the deepest and most meaningful aspects of the original trilogy will be absent or buried...
                              George Lucas already did that with the prequels.
                              Yes, and that's why these films need a different vision, closer to Empire, not even more non-stop action. The prequels crammed in action aplenty.

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
                              The problem with Abrams is that his visual language is still strongly rooted in TV. M:I-3 and Star Trek are good movies, particularly the latter one, but the action is choppy, and Abrams doesn't quite have the knack for the kind of sense of wonder, that great visual directors can do.
                              Exactly. Nail on the head.

"Sense of wonder." That's exactly what Star Wars 1977 and, even more so, Empire had, and which the prequels almost entirely lacked.

The Red Letter Media reviews of the Star Wars prequels put the point very well. Watch from 4:33 to 6:30, as the original Yoda of Empire reacts in disbelief at the terrible, action-stuffed emptiness of the prequels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq0wv2ossJU

Abrams may be a talented director, skilled at what he does, but what he does is not what makes Star Wars great. That sense of awe and wonder is what cemented the original Star Wars films in people's minds, long after other action films were forgotten.

The best Star Wars films are only superficially action movies, and even less are they sci-fi films. They're fantasy/mythology movies, more akin to medieval-legend stories than to Star Trek. The tech is just window dressing. It's the awe and wonder and spiritual depth that make them resonate. That's what the prequels so painfully lacked. And I see nothing in Abrams's directing history to demonstrate that he is fluent in this mythological language.

I read somewhere that Abrams wanted to make his Star Trek film "like a Star Wars movie." If that's what he thinks a Star Wars movie is supposed to be, these will just be more disappointments.

And as far as I know, Kasdan is not involved until Episode VIII -- more's the pity, as his input is desperately needed.
                              Last edited by karsten; 01-25-2013, 07:00 AM.

Comment

I didn't expect all of this to be materializing so quickly. I'm just excited to actually be able to take my son to Star Wars films. How cool.

It is remarkable (to me) that they'd choose the director of Star Trek to tackle Star Wars, but Abrams is a solid choice.
                                Last edited by madworld; 01-25-2013, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X