Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: J.J. is directing EPISODE VII

People can complain once they've seen the finished product. For now just stop complaining, he cares about Star Wars which is enough for me to have some faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
      I like JJ. Very creative. But, I worry about him doing Star Wars. I feel the Star Wars of today needs to be more adult and not be campy. Part of me wonders if he is a lil too ligh-hearted for Star Wars. I know Disney most likely won't let Lindelof near Star Wars after the Prometheus backlash. Nor do I think they would let Kurtzma/Orci. I also wonder why JJ would put this much pressure on himself. The scrutiny he will be under will be way more intense then Star Trek. He even alluded to that himself, when he first denied he would do Star Wars. Wonder what changed his mind?

I would've loved if Disney went with Affleck -- I think he would've brought a more adult nature to Star Wars. I remember Lucas talking about the Live Action Star Wars TV series he was going to do, and he said it would be more adult in nature and that's where he wanted to take Star Wars.

But maybe JJ pulls it off.

That's the thing. I don't want an "adult take" on Star Wars. It was never meant to be adult-oriented in the first place. That's why I shake my head at the overgrown brats who poo-pooed on the prequels and think....no, self-deluded themselves into thinking that George Lucas screwed his own saga and ruined their childhood. Grow the **** up and create your own damn saga, if you have the gonads, you morons.

As for Abrams, with the Star Trek reboots and Super 8 under his arms, he's a great choice.
      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

JJ is a solid, top notch director. My personal choice would be Aronofsky, but JJ is more than legit for the job.
        sigpic

It's ruff bein' me.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
          That's the thing. I don't want an "adult take" on Star Wars. It was never meant to be adult-oriented in the first place. That's why I shake my head at the overgrown brats who poo-pooed on the prequels and think....no, self-deluded themselves into thinking that George Lucas screwed his own saga and ruined their childhood. Grow the **** up and create your own damn saga, if you have the gonads, you morons.
          really? the prequels are horrible movies in so many ways. that's a fact. you can't possibly mean that a movie that is mostly about politics and people sitting down and talking is aimed at kids? then you get action scenes with no suspense. from a storytelling viewpoint, directing, acting....they are factually awful. movies for children aren't exempted from having standards.
          fact is, the original trilogy is beloved across generations. those who grew up watching it is not the only ones. the prequels are despised by pretty much everyone, including those who grew up watching them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bananos View Post
            really? the prequels are horrible movies in so many ways. that's a fact. you can't possibly mean that a movie that is mostly about politics and people sitting down and talking is aimed at kids? then you get action scenes with no suspense.
            fact is, the original trilogy is beloved across generations. those who grew up watching it is not the only ones. the prequels are despised by pretty much everyone, including those who grew up watching them.

I'm not going to argue with you, because you've proven my point.
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

R2 as Bad Robot!

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
                R2 as Bad Robot!

LOLOLOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                  I'm not going to argue with you, because you've proven my point.
                  Actually, he dismantled your point.

Comment

If this is indeed the "safe" choice, I don't blame Disney for making it. Episodes 1-3 weren't even OK, they were horrid. Star Wars 7 doesn't need to reinvent cinema, it just needs to be a GOOD Star Wars movie. They can make more "interesting" or risky choices with later films once they have a foundation. If Episode 7 were to blow as hard as the prequels, if that's possible, it's not just one failed film: it hurts the franchise Disney just paid a butt load for.

JJ isn't writing the thing. His direction in previous work was good. In no way can this be labeled a bad choice.

Comment

Safe choice by Disney; the guy has proven he can handle, big budget, revivals of insanely popular material. Can't blame them, I suppose.

I won't be shocked when Chewie's making out with Keri Russell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bananos View Post
                        This strikes me as an overgeneralization. I know lots of kids who've grown up on the prequel trilogy and love it just as much as previous generations did the original trilogy. The fanboy echo-chamber tends to obscure this, but kids today don't buy into the prequel hatred as much as older folks assume they should. Somebody has to be buying those billions' worth of prequel merchandise, and if the fanboys hate the prequels so much, you can bet it's not them.

That said, personally I hope Disney will make more interesting, riskier directing choices on the future instalments.

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
                          Safe choice by Disney; the guy has proven he can handle, big budget, revivals of insanely popular material. Can't blame them, I suppose.
                          That's how I feel. It doesn't get me terribly excited, nor terribly worried. I just hope that the production isn't so fast-racked that the screenplay suffers.

Comment

The more I think about it the more ridiculous his appointment seems. I doubt it will have any bearing on the film's potential box office but it's a very poor choice for any Star Wars fan wanting a director to do something different with the franchise. I fail to see how Abrams' direction of space battles in Ep 7 will be any different to the ones in Star Trek 1 and 2 (the rebooted 1 and 2, not the Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan).

Why would any Star Wars fan want stuff that's been in the recent Star Trek films? Why do they need the guy from Star Trek! Shouldn't Star Wars have its own unique identity? Another director would have been more appropriate and given the franchise something different. If Ep 7 is decent I doubt most people will care who the director is, but it's a pity Disney didn't go with someone else.
                            Last edited by moviefan; 01-25-2013, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Can't we just assume J.J. is an actual professional, and that somehow he'll be able to direct two different movies and make them not exactly the same?

Though, to be fair, he did guest direct an episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live, so it's almost inevitable that Han Solo will be played by Jimmy's cousin Sal.

Comment

Anyone see the incredible but disturbing coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JJ.

JAR JAR.

This is a bad omen. The film is doomed. Doomed, I say. Doomed more than Doctor Doom's doomsday death ray!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X