No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Jones Directing Warcraft Movie

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=99566

He's talented. I'm excited to see what he can do with a 150 million budget.

Re: Duncan Jones Directing Warcraft Movie

Hmm, very interesting.

Comment

What the hell?

This is AWESOME NEWS.

I have never played Warcraft, but I'm familiar with the mythology: High fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction. You get to have dragons, elves, orcs, steam-powered machines, spaceships, and alien worlds in the same package. There isn't any single story the film has to follow, they can pretty much write a whole new story based on the mythology.

Duncan Jones - Who did a genius job with Moon - gets to play on this with a 150 million budget?

That's the best news I've heard in a while. This just skyrocketed high up on the list of my most anticipated movies.

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
        What the hell?

This is AWESOME NEWS.

I have never played Warcraft, but I'm familiar with the mythology: High fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction. You get to have dragons, elves, orcs, steam-powered machines, spaceships, and alien worlds in the same package. There isn't any single story the film has to follow, they can pretty much write a whole new story based on the mythology.

Duncan Jones - Who did a genius job with Moon - gets to play on this with a 150 million budget?

That's the best news I've heard in a while. This just skyrocketed high up on the list of my most anticipated movies.

Yep. Really looking forward to seeing what Jones does with a big budget. "Moon" is incredible.

Comment

Warcraft? For real?

Well, after the success of LotR and now The Hobbit, plus millions of gamers, I suppose it was assumed there'd be an eager audience...

But seriously: Warcraft?

Fvck, somebody just make a Space Invaders or Pacman film and put me out of my misery.
          Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

I'm still waiting for the FarmVille movie.
            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
              Warcraft? For real?

Well, after the success of LotR and now The Hobbit, plus millions of gamers, I suppose it was assumed there'd be an eager audience...

Fvck, somebody just make a Space Invaders or Pacman film and put me out of my misery.
              One word: Battleship.

The Warcraft movie has been in the works for quite a while now, probably inching up to a decade, so it's very much not a "me too" production. Set aside the millions of players worldwide to market to, the online game has many rich storylines within the gameplay, and plenty of universe to play in.

They have taken great care to create beautiful geography and interesting cultures to play in. There are tons of opportunity to tell stories in this universe. They could, if they wanted, do a tv series and have story material for many, many seasons. It would just be cost-prohibitive, given the genre.

It could be a smart, smart move for Blizzard, if they do it right (always the catch). Not only do they get additional revenue from players, but they potentially can draw non-players into the game. Given how many times Blizzard has sucked me back into the game, one thing I know is that they are very smart about drawing people in.

You can play WoW for free (with some limited functionality) and take a character or two up to level 20. You'll discover it's well beyond PacMan style of play.

Comment

I don't see what the problem would be with Warcraft. It's a huge, very open universe with countless of story and character possibilities. Not quite Pacman.

Comment

If I was in charge of the world, these are the game adaptations i would do immediately.

I'd start with a Half Life 2 movie. I couldn't imagine a better action sci-fi adaptation, and the story is incredible. I'm almost dizzy thinking how great that could be.

Then I'd go much darker, with a Bioshock 1 movie. Some of the greatest writing I've ever seen in a game. The Andrew Ryan final speech alone is a master class in dialogue.

Finally, for straight up fun, I'd base a series of movies around the Uncharted series (Indiana Jones style.)

Please God. Let me one day be successful enough that I'm trusted with any of those.

Comment

What the hell?

This is AWESOME NEWS.

I also liked Source Code.
                    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                      I also liked Source Code.
                      Yeah, Source Code is very good. And Moon is even better. Duncan is going to have a great career ahead of him, and I'm pretty sure he will have a fresh take on an epic fantasy war flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                        Warcraft? For real?

Pssh, two words: Hungry Hungry Hippo

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,4066248.story

Comment

I have never played Warcraft, but I'm familiar with the mythology: High fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction. You get to have dragons, elves, orcs, steam-powered machines, spaceships, and alien worlds in the same package.

Spaceships and alien worlds is Starcraft. Same company, similar name, completely separate thing.

Comment

Originally posted by cap7 View Post
                            Spaceships and alien worlds is Starcraft. Same company, similar name, completely separate thing.
                            Yes, and they are also part of the World Of Warcraft.

Comment

Yes, and they are also part of the World Of Warcraft.
                              How so? I'm trying to rack my brains on which WoW land has an aliens and spaceships connection.

ETA: Ah. Dranei. Stretching it, since their alienness is insignificant, and their spaceship busted, but it's there.
                              Last edited by MoviePen; 02-04-2013, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X