Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan Jones Directing Warcraft Movie

How much writing do you all actually get done if you're spending so much time playing online games?
    Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
      How much writing do you all actually get done if you're spending so much time playing online games?
      Writing is for the morning when my brain works. Warcraft is for nighttime when my brain is mushy.

Like anything, it's a balance.

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
        Yes, and they are also part of the World Of Warcraft.
        Starcraft is a completely different universe. I'd be more excited for this except for the dramatic turn for the worse the blizzard franchises took after the Warcraft 2, Starcraft 1, era. World of Warcraft was basically their slide into total cheese/terrible art direction. Their latest expansion added the land of Panderia full of Kung Fu pandas I sh1t you not.

But I do have some faith Duncan Jones can turn out a good product so we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by MoviePen View Post
          How so? I'm trying to rack my brains on which WoW land has an aliens and spaceships connection.

ETA: Ah. Dranei. Stretching it, since their alienness is insignificant, and their spaceship busted, but it's there.
          Yup, the Dranei. The lore tells they have dimensional ships (spaceships) that travel to other planets in the Great Dark Beyond (space). The dimensional ships have control rooms, escape pods, etc.

There are at least 5 planets in the Warcraft Universe: : Argus, Azeroth, K'aresh, Xoroth, and Outland (formerly Draenor). Each have their own civilizations, that have also travelled to the main world Azeroth.

The main city of the Dranei on Azeroth is in fact the ruins of a crashed, giant interdimensional ship that they used to travel from Draenor to Azeroth.¨

You could argue that all this is insignificant when you play the actual game, but that's besides the point. The film is not gonna be about collecting 20 wolf pelts. If something is part of the official lore, the filmmakers can use it.

This is why WOW gives a good basis for a movie. The game-makers of WOW have pretty much thrown everything and the kitchen sink into their imaginary universe.

The filmakers can pick and choose what they want to use. Including everything in the game universe would be impossible anyway.

They can have interdimensional spaceships. They can travel to the other planets. They can have steam-powered battle tanks, zeppelins, submarines, and guns. And so forth.

And there isn't any single story or character they have to follow. They can write that stuff from a scratch. Which is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
            And there isn't any single story or character they have to follow. They can write that stuff from a scratch. Which is a good thing.
            All the more reason this idea sucks: no core story to base around/follow and the fan-boys will end up bitching that such-and-such wasn't in the film.
            We're also talking about massive amounts of money in order to make this... which in turn, requires just as much to hype it - and that's to even hope of breaking even!

Add all this to the fact that it's basically going to end up being a CGI-fest, and we're left with the simple truth: the game makers should just code their own computer animated TV programme.

But then, how long before fans get tired watching and want to start playing? And would non-game-fans even give it a chance?

Hey, in theory, it's all nice, but if the core values of the entertainment business are to entertain and make profits, I can't see this as anything but a failure.

Now, somebody give me £3m to make a film and I'll happily nail both values!

P.S. There was a Warhammer computer-animated film a few years back, and with much greater "world evolution", thanks to a string of novels (not that I've read any), and a solid - albeit, vastly smaller - fan-base, one really has to question how that film faired... and then make the necessary equations to determine WoW's chances of success.

I'd be surprised if they were anything but low.
            Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
              All the more reason this idea sucks: no core story to base around/follow and the fan-boys will end up bitching that such-and-such wasn't in the film.
              We're also talking about massive amounts of money in order to make this... which in turn, requires just as much to hype it - and that's to even hope of breaking even!

Add all this to the fact that it's basically going to end up being a CGI-fest, and we're left with the simple truth: the game makers should just code their own computer animated TV programme.

But then, how long before fans get tired watching and want to start playing? And would non-game-fans even give it a chance?

Hey, in theory, it's all nice, but if the core values of the entertainment business are to entertain and make profits, I can't see this as anything but a failure.

Now, somebody give me £3m to make a film and I'll happily nail both values!

P.S. There was a Warhammer computer-animated film a few years back, and with much greater "world evolution", thanks to a string of novels (not that I've read any), and a solid - albeit, vastly smaller - fan-base, one really has to question how that film faired... and then make the necessary equations to determine WoW's chances of success.

I'd be surprised if they were anything but low.
              I don't get your complaints.

It's a good think that they don't need to be loyal to a lousy story and lousy characters - Which is what 99% of video games offer.

Duncan Jones is a very good writer. I think he is able to write a good story with good characters. Much more so than most video game writers. If Duncan doesn't write the film himself, I'm sure he can hire a writer in Hollywood who can deliver a good original story in the WOW universe, with original characters.

There is a much SMALLER chance of fans complaining, because nobody really expects for such and such character or storypoint to be in the film. It's Warcraft. The game don't really have any characters or storypoints that would be important to include.

What we have here is basically a 150 million dollar *original* fantasy movie. Because they can pretty much write whatever they want. The source material doesn't really dictate much of anything. And it's directed by the guy who did Moon and Source Code. Who is a pretty damn great writer himself.

I don't see any reason for complaints.

Comment

Working...
              X