No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack The Giant Slayer...

What happened...?

It scored well with audiences and critics who have seen it. It looked like dependable box office material, but that budget versus the opening weekend. Wow.

The marketing (at least that I can think of) did seem like that of John Carter, an all-out late in the game onslaught.

It seems like a sign of the times: it's hard to get tweeners and under into "live-action" movies and vice-versa it's hard to make live-action movies for tweeners that don't have that tweener a stamp of approval, e.g., a best-selling book.

Animated original material seems to fare so much better. Would Jack have better box office if he was animated?
    #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Re: Jack The Giant Slayer...

The commercials killed it; made the film look "stupid." Snow White's commercials made it look "smart."

Jack Reacher had the same problem. The commercials made me want to violently injure the film, even though it was actually a B.
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

What was up with the horrendous CGI?

Comment

My guess is that tweeners' tastes are maturing quicker than they used to. So why go see a fairytale movie when you can grab a copy of...oh, whatever.

And they have absolutely no idea what a Bryan Singer is. Which as far as I can tell is the movie's only selling point. Other than that it looks like any other homogenized fairytale reboot out there right now.

But, hey...what do I know? "The Canadian numbers are GREAT!"
        Last edited by Signal30; 03-03-2013, 06:24 PM.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
          The commercials killed it; made the film look "stupid." Snow White's commercials made it look "smart."
          Yes. In the trailers, it looked too lighthearted. Audiences generally prefer a LOTR tone to a Hobbit tone. This should have been given a much, much darker shading. It looked too kiddie-ish.

And the horrendous CGI didn't help.

If you're doing a movie about a guy fighting giants, and hope to get anyone older than pre-teens to attend, the giants should practically be Balrogs; or, at the very least, they should convey a level of menace equal to the Frost Giants in the Thor movie. They shouldn't look like big, dumb, cartoonish brutes.

Comment

Originally posted by BillG View Post
            What was up with the horrendous CGI?
            Standards are impossibly high thanks to Avatar. Now every CGI flick feels like an endless loop of the plane crash from Air Force One.

Again, I can't stress this enough, unless you have a fan base literally in love with a story -- Twilight, LOTR -- success of films usually comes down to visuals that take your breath away.
            I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Trailer looked crap.

Snow White and the Huntsman at least had a cool trailer.

Comment

Same goes for Hansel & Gretel.

Comment

Standards are impossibly high thanks to Avatar.

You mean, Jurassic Park, surely. I still cant see the strings on that T Rex, and that was nearly 20 years ago.

Comment

I vaguely remember seeing the ad'... which tells its own story. That said, I'd rather see the Hansel and Gretel flick than all the other fairy story spin-offs (even though everyone here caned it!).
                    Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                    Jack Reacher had the same problem. The commercials made me want to violently injure the film, even though it was actually a B.
                    Man, that dumb fight scene really turned me off of that one. I wouldn't have minded had it been tongue-in-cheek or a comedy or something, but it's just Tom Cruise flashing an impossibly perfect smile and asking, "Are you sure you want to do this?" before each villain waits for their turn to attack and be countered.
                    DUMB!

Also, the fact that me and my other half had finally got round to seeing Knight and Day the week previously, only to switch that crap off, didn't do much for the man's stock.

Moral of the story: ad-men should learn that if they're not selling the concept in their 30 second slots, they'd best wow us with something awesome... and ugly giants and Tom Cruise's smile just isn't enough.
                    Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Knight and Day was exceptionally good fun.
                      M.A.G.A.

Comment

I had no desire to see this because making children's fairy tales look like hip movies is a waste of time. You're better off reading the story when you're young and have your own impression of it.
                        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                          Knight and Day was exceptionally good fun.
                          Imagine the plot if Cameron Diaz was not even in the movie. What changes?
                          Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

The movie looks like a dumb rehash that clearly isn't trying to be anything more than just that.

Who wants to pay for that? Apparently, only a few people. The rest of us will gladly wait for Netflix. Why not? It's just an ordinary movie, judging by the advertising. Nothing special. Just a standard movie that isn't trying.

Even if I was wrong and the movie is truly good, which I hope, the point of advertising is to make people want the product, and the advertising for this film is nothing but an utter failure.

Comment

I'd agree that the ad campaign is lacking and the cgi looks marginal but we're not the target audience for the movie.

My 8 year old nephew and or the Pixar audience skewing maybe older seems to be the audience. Their ability to spot weak cgi or rehahed material may not be as sophisticated as ours. But as signal pointed out maybe theyre too grown up for xbox versions of fairytales.

I think audience is one issue with Jack. It's too violent/graphic for 5 year olds and not cool enough for 10 year olds. That leaves a small market of kids asking their parents to go see it.

And for adults, well we've weighed in.
                              #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Working...
                              X