No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kickstarter Funding

Originally posted by Fortean View Post
    Yet, this is more of a question of venue, than of marketing. People on their way to work, returning home, or on some other errand may not have the time to stop and enjoy an artist's performance, whereas they make the time and will pay to go to a theatre, concert hall, or a festival site to watch a stranger perform their act.

When a known artist, who has the rare opportunity of investors willing to finance their project, rejects a contract, then turns to less fortunate donors with a begging bowl, rather than seek a better contract, one might question their integrity.

Zack Braff wants "final cut" for a Hollywood film, to shoot the film in Los Angeles, and to make casting decisions, otherwise his "vision" will be marred by the producers offering him money. He wants a sweet deal, but, since he can't get that, he's asking his fans to donate, (not as an investment), $2,000,000. That's very different from busking in a subway!

Most street musicians are struggling artists, either perfecting and demonstrating their skills, or desperate for cash, if not both. I doubt that Zach Braff's plight fits into either situation.
    I stand corrected: I did not think my post would be interpreted as anything to do with the current discussion. Silly me, I thought I'd just share an interesting experiment, prompted by a casual, throwaway remark by another poster.

Good job, Fortean!

Comment

Re: Zack Braff (Kickstarter)

Somebody was recently discussing this with my on Twitter, and one of his points was that it's not fair that a successful rich filmmaker gets all this money while film students don't have those kinds of resources.

My response was, well yeah. Someone who's made a film that a lot of people love gets more respect, money and trust than a kid who's in film school and hasn't make a movie yet.

I mean, duh. It's not about fair. It's not a charity. It's about what project I'd like to see made, and what reward I would like to have in return.

But that doesn't mean I won't give to a student project if it has a good enough presentation. One of the projects I pledged to and really didn't think it was going to get its funding - this morning somebody gave $10,000, which was exactly what they needed to put them over. They had a project enough people believed in and they got funded. Zach Braff also got funded. Veronica Mars also got funded. This project a buddy of mine was working on also got funded.

Because somebody believed in them. If you can make people believe in you, they will give you money to complete your project. That's what's cool about Kickstarter. It used to be, only rich people could invest in films. Or maybe your buddies could kick in some dollars for food. But now anyone anywhere can be a part of your process. They just need to see something they want to exist.

So if you want to get money in this way, set up a great presentation and you will have it. But don't sit around in your room refusing to take any money from anyone and then complain when someone else does it successfully.
      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by bmcthomas View Post
        He began studying cello at the age of four.

http://www.yo-yoma.com/yo-yo-ma-biography

And I am very smart, but it has nothing to do with my ass.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yo+y...fari#itp=open7

"At a very young age, Ma began studying VIOLIN, and later viola, before settling on the cello in 1960 at age four."

Still feel smart?

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post

"At a very young age, Ma began studying VIOLIN, and later viola, before settling on the cello in 1960 at age four."

Still feel smart?
          You're absolutely right. Years 0-3 were his prime violin years, and since those were his formative years, I think we can all agree that those years outweigh his 50+ years at the cello.

And, yes, I feel smart, too.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post

Still feel smart?
            You cannot be serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
              You're absolutely right. Years 0-3 were his prime violin years, and since those were his formative years, I think we can all agree that those years outweigh his 50+ years at the cello.

And, yes, I feel smart, too.

My statement was, "He played the violin before he ever touched the cello." That's simply an irrefutable fact. Bcm countered that he started playing the cello at age 4, which neither refutes my statement nor is germane. Yes, obviously the cello is his main instrument of choice...but he's also an accomplished violinist who still plays the instrument, by the way. Accordingly, pointing out that he's a cellist and not a violinist served zero bearing on my initial analogy and was only done in a smart assy attempt to sound clever. I can be obtuse for the sake of being obtuse, too.

Comment

Your boy Zach speaks on some of the things being debated (or argued about) in this thread and over the net: http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/za...-thing-to-actu

On how much of his own money he plans to invest:

How much of your own money are you investing?

ZB: I don't know. It will depend on how much we raise, and who I do end up casting. Let's say we raise our goal, which is $2 million. If we only raise that, that's not enough to make the movie. There will be some element of selling some foreign [distribution rights] to meet the difference, and where that falls is where I will be splitting the difference. I'm going to make this movie in August come hell or high water. Wherever we fall short, I or some element of foreign sales will split the difference.
                On the fans investing and also having to pay to see the movie:

Part of the reaction today to this campaign has been to bring up some of the same concerns raised during the Veronica Mars Kickstarter campaign, namely that your fans are giving you money for a project they will also spend money to see, with no return on that investment.

ZB: I totally understand that. Listen, I would love, more than anything, to have it be you get an equity stake. You have 10 bucks, you make your 10 bucks back with the percentage of profit, like a stock. But that's not legal yet.
                I think it's an exciting idea, that you can go, "Oh, I like x, y, and z, I want to buy a piece of that potential film project." I think that that's coming. But we're not there yet legally.

So what do you do in the meantime? You offer them any and every incentive you can think of. But at the very least, if you pay 10 bucks, you're joining what I like to think of as this club. You see how active I am on social media. I drive my family, friends, and girlfriend crazy. I get a lot of joy out of it. So turning that into an online behind-the-scenes filmmaking magazine, where there will be videos and content and people who are interested in the behind-the-scenes of the making of a movie will go on this ride alongside me — I think that's cool for 10 bucks.
                I'm interested to see how the whole thing turns out. I'm not familiar with Zach or Garden State but now I want to see this movie regardless of how it turns out once it's made just out of all the debate surrounding it.
                One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

It's actually quite legal to give $10-investors an equity stake in the picture, you simply set up the the company that's formed for the production into a public company, only sell shares direct to investors, and set the number of shares for sale at the minimum price you want investors at, and file all that with the SEC; it just takes a crap-ton more work and accountability, which is why no one ever does that.

Comment

Okay, now, THIS is what I wanted to know. And smart of Kickstarter to get out there.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/new...-campaigns.php

Comment

Look, I think the basic idea of Kickstarter is a very good one, but like any good idea it can be corrupted and abused. That's what I think we're starting to see here.

It's kind of like the state university I went to where 95% of the students were rich kids from Long Island. The entire state university system was created to give kids whose families couldn't afford it a chance to go to college if their grades were good enough. Sure, I knew a few poor, smart kids from upstate, but the *vast* majority of the students were there because their parents didn't want to spend the extra money to send them to Cornell. Lots of Beamers and Benzes in the parking lots, lemme tell ya.

That's what this Zack Braff thing instantly made me think of:

Welfare for rich people.

I'm not going to knock Kickstarter. Heck, if Dark Horse and Image don't want my SIX-GUN GORILLA comic I just might start one myself. But a when you've got people who could easily raise the money themselves using it to launch their personal projects it gets, well, a little creepy to be honest.

Cheers,

B
                      Last edited by BChristgau; 05-12-2013, 10:24 AM.
                      SIX-GUN GORILLA: LONG DAYS OF VENGEANCE.
                      http://www.sixgungorilla.com/
                      https://www.facebook.com/SixGunGorilla
                      sigpic
                      "... (an) indie powerhouse of a book.- - AIN'T IT COOL NEWS

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                        Why does Zack need funding? Because this:

"'Wish I Was Here' is the story of Aidan Bloom (played by me), a struggling actor, father and husband, who at 35 is still trying to find his identity; a purpose for his life. He and his wife are barely getting by financially and Aidan passes his time by fantasizing about being the great futuristic Space-Knight he'd always dreamed he'd be as a little kid.

When his ailing father can no longer afford to pay for private school for his two kids (ages 5 and 12) and the only available public school is on its last legs, Aidan reluctantly agrees to attempt to home-school them.

The result is some funny chaos, until Aidan decides to scrap the traditional academic curriculum and come up with his own. Through teaching them about life his way, Aidan gradually discovers some of the parts of himself he couldn't find."

Who's surprised potential financiers wanted some changes before handing over their money?

So funding it himself makes sense, but I am also surprised why he didn't just put up the cash himself. Oh, because it's cheaper not to.

Not to mention, it builds free publicity for the film at the same time. It's not just a Zack Braff movie... it's a Zack Braff movie powered by the internet.
                        I can see what concerns the Kickstarter critics but in the end people can spend their money on whatever they want.

However, it seems what many of Braff's bigger donators want to spend their money on is a chance to rub elbows with a star.

And that's the point of difference which gives Braff an unfair advantage over unknown filmamkers on Kickstarter: the ability to offer premiums which smaller filmmakers can't.

From Braff's KS page:

75 backers have paid $1000 each (total $75,000) for premiere tickets and entry to the cast's "exclusive" after party. "... You will provide your own travel and accommodations."

5 backers have paid $5000 each (total $25,000) to be Braff's personal guest at the premiere and after party and get his/her leg touched by the star. Quote: "You and a guest will sit in my row at the premiere and my table at the afterparty. As I mentioned in the video, if you request it, I will place my hand gently on your leg. I am looking forward to personally thanking you for your support of the making of the film."

Another 5 backers have paid $7,500 each (Total $37,500) to be an extra in a scene who will be featured "prominently" but will have to pay their own airfare & accommodations to the shoot.

5 backers have paid $9000 each ($45,000) for a Visual Effects credit and another has paid $8000 to spend a day with Braff during post production, to screen and discuss the director's cut and "...help shape the final cut of the film and receive a SPECIAL THANKs credit ...."

The biggest single donator has paid $10,000 to have a credited speaking role. Quote: BE A CAST MEMBER// For one of my biggest supporters, here's one of the biggest rewards. You will be a credited as a cast member of "WISH I WAS HERE". Visit us on our set and if you want, I'll put you in a scene we are shooting and write a line just for you. And, we'll give you the star treatment. Hair, makeup, wardrobe, and a space to practice your line. We'd like to shoot in August in LA, so if you would like a walk on role to complement your credit, you'll need to be available then. You will provide your own travel and accommodations.

These donations alone total over $200,000 from 92 people in - what - 17 days?

What does the average unknown indy filmmaker on KS manage to get in 17 days from their first 92 backers? Far less, I'm sure.
                        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Good point sc111.

Guess the unemployment rate ain't but so sh*tty out there.
                          One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                            What does the average unknown indy filmmaker on KS manage to get in 17 days from their first 92 backers? Far less, I'm sure.
                            There's no inherent right or expectation of fairness in beauty contests -- it's always going to be about who can attract the most attention using what they've got. The flashy will always outshine.

I'm just hoping that this is a self-regulating thing. I think there are a limited amount of times that Braff and the like can go to this well before it runs dry for them. But who knows -- this might become a permanent sideshow. (And just to be clear, I don't think that would be good with the current non-equity model.)

Comment

Working...
                            X