Man Of Steel: The Blue Boy Scout Grows Up...And Kicks Ass (spoilers)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Man Of Steel: The Blue Boy Scout Grows Up...And Kicks Ass (spoilers)

Originally posted by Dean View Post
    Not random at all. Kryptonians are vulnerable to other Kryptonians or Kryptonite.
    O Rly? Yes...I know that. But it's still random. Superman and Zod can beat the daylights out of each other with no damage...but suddenly he can snap his neck and kill him? And I suppose Zod's blade was made of Kyrptonite, then? (Which wouldn't really make sense because the metal itself it supposed to weaken them if they're near it.)

Comment

http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-st...nce-you-asked/

A review by Mark Waid.

Comment

He seems to make very good points. I'm not a huge Superman fan, but I agree with his idea of how a Superman movie should be.

I'm definitely not watching this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
          Save the family or save the psycho? Guess Mr. Waid believes in "deus ex machina". It's his right to, but it's a bad tool in storytelling.

And the Blue Boy Scout wasn't happy doing it....
          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
            This was an absolutely solemn movie. Nobody expresses a positive emotion at any point. And for that, it's just not fun.
            But the "s" on his chest stood for hope, that's good, right? Maybe not.

Comment

What the hell is wrong with these critics? This is the best Superman movie. The casting was incredible. Who didn't want Kevin Costner (Pa Kent) as their dad after waTching this?

SPOILERS

When Costner got killed, there were sniffles everywhere. they pulled the reverse Spiderman. Peter Parker got his Uncle Ben killed. Here you have the most powerful man on the planet watching his dad die, because his dad taught him the world wasn't ready for a guy like him, so he couldn't use his powers to save the guy he loved most. How could that not affect you?

They could've made a whole movie on krypton with Russel Crowe and I would've watched that movie. Michael Shannon was outstanding. HBO better open their wallets and pay whatever it takes to keep him on Boardwalk Empire.

The girl who played Faora might've been the most badass and menacing character in the movie. Some studio needs to put her in a movie kicking ass ASAP. I loved Diane Lane. This movie blew me away. It wasn't as good as THE DARK KNIGHT, but one of the best superhero movies for sure. i enjoyed it way more then The Avengers.

And this comes from a person who hated SUPERMAN growing up. I always thought he was corny, with his squeaky clean image. And his invincibility. They made this Superman relateable.

Comment

The thing is, Pa Kent got himself killed for his dog and he didn't even let Clark save him just so Clark could stay under the radar. No offense, but as much as you want to stay out of the public eye that is exactly the sort of time when you might want to think about bending the rules, because if not then then when? What exactly would qualify as a worthwhile reason to show your powers? I would think saving your family would be right up there. It's not like a few more years of hiding did him any good anyway because Zod would have shown up regardless, so Pa Kent sort of died for no reason, but at least the dog survived I guess.

I agree though, Antje Traue as Faora looked fantastic, those eyes! I for one welcome our alien overlords!

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                  And I suppose Zod's blade was made of Kyrptonite, then? (Which wouldn't really make sense because the metal itself it supposed to weaken them if they're near it.)
                  Zod stabbed/killed Jor-El on Krypton, where there was a red sun, and where the Kryptonians had no super powers.
                  "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                    Work on your first sentence, please?

Also (Spoilers) Superman killed Zod to save that family that was going to be scorched. The Blue Boy Scout felt bad about it because, with the Zod loyalists back in the Phantom Zone, Zod was the only Kryptonian on Earth besides him. Save a family or save a psycho...and don't give me the "deus ex machina" excuse. It's a crappy story tool.

"Man of Steel" poses the question: can Superman exist, let alone survive, in the real, post Sept. 11 world? Not the Chris Reeve version. Too many cynics and loons (and some of them are lurking around here) who would laugh at him. So, with this version, you have a misfit (being a smart, quiet, thoughtful African-American male, I know the feeling) who doesn't interact with people because his powers would attract the wrong type of attention (religious condemnation, government dissection and weaponization), yet he still helps when people are in trouble.

The new Superman in "Man Of Steel" isn't perfect, but neither are we humans in the real world who would go after each other, if one or two or a group doesn't go along with the status quo, even after a tragedy. "Never forget", but we're still the same dumb bastards before the towers went down.

That's what the film interesting, and it's funny people who haven't been immersed in comic books are imposing their sensibilities on a storytelling medium that's been mistreated and misunderstood while despising the film. Is Kal-El the embodiment of the comic book industry in the film? Maybe...

Sorry you didn't like it. I did. I want to be an adult and move on, ok?
                    What movie did you watch? And while we're commenting on sentences, did you read yours?
                    www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                    http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
                      Some good points - And I see some good coming out of this movie. When you start a critique group, you can just ask who in the group thought this was well done. Now you know not to listen to the opinions of those who say 'yes.'

They probably also loved Transformers 3 and Jeepers Creepers.
                      www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                      http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

I think, for me, the main problem with it (besides Snyder's frenetic shakey cam in most action scenes and him masturbating his FX sponge all over the screen) was Goyer's script.

David Goyer did a decent job with the Batman series but he never really seemed like he understood the character of Batman. Bruce Wayne is "the world's greatest detective," a world-class intellectual, and is constantly brooding. Those are core Wayne/Batman character traits, none of which were ever addressed in the Nolan/Goyer Batman series (though I did enjoy the trilogy greatly). The Wayne/Batman in the trilogy was enjoyable to me but bears little resemblance to the actual Batman from the comics or DCAU. Bruce Timm and Paul Dini (Batman: The Animated Series, Batman:Beyond, Justice League, Justice League: Unlimited) did much better with the character in their cartoons than Goyer did in any of his movies.

Also, the Blade movies he wrote were kind of crap and his supposed comic book credentials come for a pretty crappy run on JSA (which, itself, is a poor series anyway that even Geoff Johns could barely resuscitate).

So, the fact that, even borrowing heavily from Waid's Superman: Birthright, he still couldn't write an epic Superman story doesn't surprise me at all. Goyer doesn't write characters; he writes superficial caricatures of them, barely scratching the surface because he doesn't fully understand the characters and doesn't seem to grasp or appreciate the depth and nuances of them. He writes mood. He writes set pieces. He writes plot ripped off from other people's material (Wolfman's Blade, Miller's Batman: Year One, and Waid's Superman: Birthright.) But he can't write the deeper stories or the characters required to carry them.

I did enjoy the film as a spectacle, and I didn't think it was terrible by any means, but I was disappointed by its missed opportunities and squandered potential and that, yet again, Goyer wrote a character that he obviously just doesn't "get." I'm also both disappointed and annoyed that he's signed on to write the sequel as well as the eventual Justice League movie.
                        "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

Originally posted by JaGra View Post
                          But the "s" on his chest stood for hope, that's good, right? Maybe not.
                          What should have been Hope was instead Hope .

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
                            Some good points - And I see some good coming out of this movie. When you start a critique group, you can just ask who in the group thought this was well done. Now you know not to listen to the opinions of those who say 'yes.'

They probably also loved Transformers 3 and Jeepers Creepers.
                            I thought Jeepers Creepers had some moments, but I don't think it's great cinema. I hate Transformers 3 so much that I've never been able to sit all the way through it.

And I really enjoyed Man of Steel.

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

Comment

Jeepers Creepers - ugh.

From the cliche psychic who sees things.......but not too clearly to the preposterous obsession with the number 28 to the ridiculous notion that it can regenerate a body part by eating such a body part - it's all ugh. As a supernatural/horror fan you know it's bad when I though the introduction of the beasty-thing ruined it and much preferred the Duel-esque aspect.
                              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Yes, and TF3 sucked, too.

Thank goodness we've resolved that burning question that had so traumatized our time and culture.

Comment

Working...
                                X