No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Robocop remake

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
    Maybe you simply don't like that kind of raw, brutal, gritty, realistic approach? Robocop finds its beauty in ugliness and decay, without over-designing either, to make them feel more comfortable. It thought that approach was a perfect fit with the story. The new film looks a lot more shiny and glossy, but that doesn't mean it's more accomplished visually.
    I simply think Robocop deserves to be "part" action film, but the original action scenes don't hold up in terms of delivering thrills, suspense, or awe.

Comment

Remakes don't like me, so I don't like remakes.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
        Why they're even bothering with a new Robocop is baffling to me. Have any of the remakes in the last 5 years hit it out of the park? The vast majority of them have been huge disappointments. Notably Total Recall.

I mentioned this before, but the films they're remaking are still WAY TOO RECENT. And given the fake-looking CGI, the originals begin to look more authentic than the remakes!

They need to redo older films with poor FX/execution, but good stories. Logan's Run is a perfect example.
        There's a little known sci-fi movie from the late 50s and I liked it a lot, yet the music score stinks. So, if I ever break in, I'm hoping to write a remake of it.

I think the recent Evil Dead did well, but I agree with you.
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
          I mentioned this before, but the films they're remaking are still WAY TOO RECENT.
          You and me both. In the 80s, films of the 50s (The Fly, The Thing) were remade but there were many factors that made them justified - black & white to colour, bad special effects to good, maturing of outdated social and political affectations & behaviour - but now we're getting remakes of 80s and even 2000s films (apparently The Butterfly Effect is up next when the lead of the original is still young enough to reprise his role) when the only major updating is of fashion. Sure, some 80s films have slightly less-than-convincing effects - such as some shots of ED209 and Gizmo - but by and large they hold up to this day. Eg: apart from Marty's hand at the enchantment Under the Sea dance, Back to the Future's effects stand up today - and Jurassic Park has yet to be equalled never mind surpassed.

In these movies, women no longer faint at the sight of a monster as they did in the 50s and you don't get them helplessly turning to misogynistic men (way, way older men) for comforting. There's more realism and a conspicuous lack of naivety - no professors waltzing into high-tech military bases a la War of the Worlds/Invaders from Mars, and if a spaceship landed in Central Park the army wouldn't just ring it off with a strip of tape and post a single guard as in The Day the Earth Stood Still (which is why that film, classic as it is, was ripe for a remake - shame how it turned out). For the perfect pastiche of everything that's horribly outdated with 50s movies just watch Amazon Women from the Moon (the actual sci-fi film that gets interrupted with all the sketches).

Remaking Poltergeist and sticking a bluetooth headset into the mix isn't much of an update. Certainly not some naff cgi that doesn't even begin to compare to that ghostly guard dog thing that growls at JoBeth Williams. Just like covering a famous song, it's pretty pointless unless you produce a markedly different/improved version. And turning it gay a la Robocop 2014 isn't it.
          M.A.G.A.

Comment

On the other hand, the 50s era was the last time (generally speaking) that female characters in horror films were treated with respect. Granted a condescending respect in a lot of cases...
            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I diasgree but that is by the by - that alone wasn't why I said remakes of today are awry. The 30 year gap from the 50s to the 80s is light years more vast than 80s to the 10s. Marty McFly and his camcorder, Walkman and tales of reruns was far more alien to the 50s than if he went from 2015 to 1985.
              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                On the other hand, the 50s era was the last time (generally speaking) that female characters in horror films were treated with respect. Granted a condescending respect in a lot of cases...
                Really? I think reality is the exact opposite of what you claim it to be.

A very strong case can be made that the modern horror genre, since the 70's, on average has had more strong and resourceful female lead roles than any other genre.

I'm too lazy to bring out lists of the 100+ best known horror titles of the last 40 years, to prove my point. You can google for them yourself, and see what I'm talking about. And it's not any different on the less known titles either, the whole horror genre is driven by strong female roles, from top to bottom.
                Last edited by tuukka; 09-08-2013, 08:30 AM.

Comment

That's why I threw in the generally speaking. Yeah, there's a lot of examples of strong female characters in post-60s horror, but I think those are vastly outnumbered by the ones that present women as something to be leered at and then disemboweled. It's not as bad as the 80s, but there's still an obvious misogynic streak that runs through the genre.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Interesting that this topic has veered from the first impressions of an upcoming film to how women are portrayed in genre films during the last 60 years...

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Alien and Friday the 13th are perfect examples of strong females and they, albeit the last film bowed in 1980, were a product of the feminist era of the 70s. Weak, sexually promiscuous women were killed; strong, virginal women weren't. I don't find misogynism in that. It's like how people criticize Aaron Sorkin for displaying women as dumb (i.e. "The Social Network") but he actually respects the smart ones ("A Few Good Men", "The Newsroom").

But back to the Murphy remake (heh). Looks like MGM and Sony will have to put a more convincing trailer a few months before it comes out.
                    Last edited by Madbandit; 09-08-2013, 01:16 PM.
                    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

That's how boring the remake looks.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                        That's why I threw in the generally speaking. Yeah, there's a lot of examples of strong female characters in post-60s horror, but I think those are vastly outnumbered by the ones that present women as something to be leered at and then disemboweled. It's not as bad as the 80s, but there's still an obvious misogynic streak that runs through the genre.
                        Well, "generally speaking" doesn't really work, when generally, the genre is the exact opposite of that. I just find it troubling, for obvious reasons, that the most pro-feminist, female empowering movie genre is chosen a an example of representing the exact opposite values. Why pick horror, when just about any other genre would be a better example?

Moreover, you are celebrating the period in this particular genre, when there *wasn't* that many strong female roles. Which, again, is completely counter-intuitive.

The women who were leered at, and then killed, were just as popular in pre-70's horror. The nudity just wasn't equally explicit, and kills weren't as gory. However, the morality, or the underlying misogyny, were the same.

But, as for misogyny, the men are killed just as often as women, actually much more so. It's not misogyny when both sexes get killed just as much, with men actually getting the shorter stick.

The only real point you have, is that there are sexualized, supporting female roles in horror movies, where the woman obviously exist to titillate male viewers. But that's how *most* movie genres are. Horror, by it's adult nature and by it's willingness to shock and break barriers, just tends to be more graphically explicit than most other genres.

But even then, we are talking about sub-genres here. The "slutty" women who get naked, have sex, and then are killed, are a slasher trope. You will struggle to find them in any other horror sub-genres. And even in slasher films, the slut usually has jock to accompany her. A jock who shows skin, has sex, and gets killed brutally.

In slashers, the nice hero girl usually ends up with the nice guy, who unfortunately often gets killed as well, as the last victim. Before the nice girl kills the villain.

The post 70's horror films that show women as something to be leered at and then disemboweled, represent maybe 5% of the entire horror genre. And even in that 5%, you mostly have strong female lead heroines to balance the possibly misogyny in a throwaway supporting role.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                          It's like how people criticize Aaron Sorkin for displaying women as dumb (i.e. "The Social Network") but he actually respects the smart ones ("A Few Good Men", "The Newsroom").
                          Respect them by having them obsess about their Wikipedia pages or faked signatures during a Presidential Election

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                            Respect them by having them obsess about their Wikipedia pages or faked signatures during a Presidential Election
                            At least it's something beyond reality TV and Fashion Week...

Comment

Working...
                            X