Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rush

Ron Howard's latest retells the 70's Formula 1 rivarly between the UK's James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) and Austria's Niki Lauda (Daniel Brühl) - two men with vastly different approaches to the sport and life - Hunt is the risk-taking playboy, while Lauda is a technical genius/monogamist.

One of the films of the year for me. Sure, some parts may be painted in broad strokes, but it's hard not to get caught up in their drama (mostly off the track) and the thrilling racing scenes.

Out in the US on the 27th...

Re: Rush

I liked this. Sure, it amped up the real life antaganism between the two and Lauda was made out to be more of a robot than he really is, but it worked for the film and you had two likeable guys and weren't sure which one you wanted to win.

I'd have liked it to be longer if anything, maybe a bit more racing and definitely a bit more of both their personalities but overall I thought it was a good film, definitely one of the better one this year.

Both leads very well cast also I would say, be nice to see Daniel Bruhl get some recognition come awards time.

Comment

Saw this tonight. Possibly the best film I've seen this year. Bruhl damn well better get an Oscar nom.

Comment

Really enjoyed this and it was very authentic with just one minor exception - the scene with Lauda in hospital was botched but otherwise a great movie with clever integration of real footage from the time. The only F1 movie I'd rate above this is the doco on Senna.
        "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

I thought it was 85% of a really good movie. Story really lost steam for me after Lauda quit the Japan race. Ending was very anti-climactic.

Comment

Great character 'driven' piece

Comment

Saw this last night. Then saw Gravity right after.

Rush is a really great film.

Loved it start to finish.

People are so amazing.
              FA4
              Last edited by finalact4; 10-13-2013, 05:22 PM.
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Fantastic film. Just a shame so few Americans will go and see it.
                M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                  Fantastic film. Just a shame so few Americans will go and see it.
                  Why do you believe that? Because it's a story about a Brit and a German? I'm curious...

FA4
                  "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Watched this again the other night, and while I don't put much stock in the Oscars, this film being snubbed was probably the biggest bulls--t of the year. Bruhl deserved at least a nomination for Supporting, and Peter Morgan deserved the win for original screenplay.

Such a fantastic movie. While I've heard the character of Lauda was a little stretched, it's still a brilliantly written and flawlessly performed role. Alexandra Maria Lara deserves props as well, for her role as Marlene Lauda.

Comment

This was a really pleasant surprise for me, too. Enjoyed it infinitely more than I thought I would.

And in light of how much I generally hated this year's Oscar nominees, I'll gladly echo previous sentiments that RUSH got screwed out of some Academy love....

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
                        Watched this again the other night, and while I don't put much stock in the Oscars, this film being snubbed was probably the biggest bulls--t of the year. Bruhl deserved at least a nomination for Supporting, and Peter Morgan deserved the win for original screenplay.

Such a fantastic movie. While I've heard the character of Lauda was a little stretched, it's still a brilliantly written and flawlessly performed role. Alexandra Maria Lara deserves props as well, for her role as Marlene Lauda.

I agree too.

Bruhl should've had a nomination over either Cooper or Hill.

Comment

Working...
                        X