• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Film: The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete

I too would watch this. Great job.
    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Congrats Michael, it looks great. Will definitely check this out when it opens.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBangBangBoogie View Post
        Thanks everyone.

There's a perception from the powers that be that films with black people in the lead roles don't do well overseas. Obviously I would love to see that proven wrong, but I'm not sure what Lionsgate is thinking on that.
        I can't stand this way of thinking. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy - they think these films won't do well, so they don't spend any money on marketing/promotion, then not enough people know about the film, then it doesn't do as well as it could. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

It looks great; definitely looking forward to seeing this. Thanks for the heads up.
        "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Would definitely watch this. Congrats on it, Michael. Looks solid, great cast!!!

Care to share about the script i.e., how you developed the idea, or how many many drafts it took before you got it read/produced?
          #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Hey BangBang -- glad to see you on here. I heard about this movie at Sundance and have been wanting to check it out ever since!

Definitely looking forward to seeing it.
            Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

Most excellent! Looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
                Would definitely watch this. Congrats on it, Michael. Looks solid, great cast!!!

Care to share about the script i.e., how you developed the idea, or how many many drafts it took before you got it read/produced?
                Thank you. The idea basically came from watching the media hype up the downfall of the middle class during the 2008 financial crisis. I wanted to tell a story about people who suffer no matter how Wall Street is doing.

George Tillman got the second draft of the script and agreed to direct it. His notes mainly focused on the third act. There were polishes and some scene restructuring, but draft one is NOT very different than the shooting draft, which, because of various reasons, IS different than the theatrical release.
                @StarrburyMike

Comment

I have to admit: I was expecting to see some semi-grainy, amateur-bordering-on-professional quality ad', based on your initial post, but the production value was excellent, the ad' well edited, some recognisable faces and kids who can (apparently) act!

It's a far cry from the action and thrillers I tend to go for when not in the mood for something a little more art-house, but does come across as novel enough for me to give it chance.

Re: blacks as leads not doing well abroad.

Obviouly, I'm not in a position to argue sales figures, but surely, film fans want to see good films, regardless as to who plays the lead? Why else does Asian cinema have its cult-like status?

Hey, I really hate all that gang-banger crap (the same way I despise how Britain's own idiots fake-speak), but this flick is about two normal kids trying to survive alone, so I can't comprehend not putting this out on DVD abroad.
                  Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Thank you. The idea basically came from watching the media hype up the downfall of the middle class during the 2008 financial crisis. I wanted to tell a story about people who suffer no matter how Wall Street is doing.

George Tillman got the second draft of the script and agreed to direct it. His notes mainly focused on the third act. There were polishes and some scene restructuring, but draft one is NOT very different than the shooting draft, which, because of various reasons, IS different than the theatrical release.
                    The fact that it was pretty much ready to go, draft one versus the shooting draft, is quite impressive. I hope it does well and that I get to see it,

Keep us updated.
                    #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Hey everyone,

As a long time lurker who has learned plenty from these forums, I'm hoping that it's okay for me to post the trailer for my film "The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete" here. It's a small film that could use all the help it can get.

It'll have a limited release October 11th and if it does well, maybe more theaters will pick it up. If you like it, please tell a friend or two .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RsnZF6-cUY
                      This looks gorgeous, congratulations and I really hope it breaks out for you. Folks over at State Street have good taste, and Codeblack an LG know how to market this kind of thing--break a leg.

Comment

Yeah man, hope it's your big break! Who knows, if all goes well you could be adapting comic books or rewriting biopics of legendary rappers pretty soon. Don't get your hopes up though.

Comment

Originally posted by Levenger View Post
                          Yeah man, hope it's your big break! Who knows, if all goes well you could be adapting comic books or rewriting biopics of legendary rappers pretty soon. Don't get your hopes up though.
                          Fingers crossed.
                          @StarrburyMike

Comment

I liked it, but felt it was lacking a helicopter chase.

Comment

Haven't been on DD in a while. Life got hectic. In a good way. But had to cut short my self-imposed exile to dip my head back in and say how much I liked this trailer. I too, based on the humble OP, expected a semi-professional, self-directed student film, so I was pleasantly surprised and not just a little impressed to see the quality, talent and high production value on display.

You've got an impressive film on your hands here and, whilst humility goes a long way, humility and talent are a commodity in short supply. I wish you all the luck with the film and don't feel you can't hype the movie up and shout it from the rooftops. You earned the right. This is a great looking piece of work!

Comment

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Sigh. It's sad when people have to commit piracy (bypass Geoblocks on content) in order to watch an ad for a film.

Good luck anyway !

Mac
                                (PS: Found another trailer here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUBnTs3z5jI that I don't have to commit piracy to view.

I don't know if it's the same one - but it looks like a beautiful film)
                                New blogposts:
                                *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                                *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                                *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                                *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Working...
                                X