• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond Weems
    replied
    Re: A fantastic year for intelligent adult films

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
    Richmond, you don't like Kurosawa's films???

You're dead to me.
    Yeah, I know. I can't explain it. I just can't get into his flicks. (Except for DREAMS. For some reason I like that one a lot.)

Leave a comment:

• SundownInRetreat
    replied

That's the thing, it's hard to argue about taste. I wish I liked it instead of being bored by it.
    True. But by the same token you didn't bash a bunch of films you've seen, ignore the fact that trash films don't get nominated for multiple Oscars, and then dismiss a bunch of films you haven't seen.

Even if a film doesn't outwardly appeal - as with Hustle, Wolf, Mr Banks, Rush - I'm going to reconsider when they're so highly regarded (especially by fellow aspiring screenwriters). As Tochirta slates so many films seen and unseen it's completely valid to ask what films he/she actually likes and writes.
    Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 02-23-2014, 05:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
    American Hustle was ****ing fantastic. Some people loved it some people hated it, I really don't care, I loved it and that's all that matters...to me.
    That's the thing, it's hard to argue about taste. I wish I liked it instead of being bored by it.

Leave a comment:

• Rantanplan
    replied

I think actually there are a number of "intelligent" flicks made every year. There is probably, for someone who would want to research it, a healthy balance of all genres in any given year. I think the difference is what kind of attention / box office these "intelligent" films get. Either way, the paradigm is not likely to change any time soon, imo.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Alexander
    replied

Originally posted by Tochirta View Post
    I thought they were crap. I didn't say you had to think they were crap. What exactly is the problem here?

From a story perspective, American Hustle and Gravity were flimsy and boring. I'm glad y'all liked it, and that's fine. But please don't tell me those films are the pinnacle of screenwriting and I'm somehow missing a crucial element of craft by not liking them.

just stop.
    American Hustle was ****ing fantastic. Some people loved it some people hated it, I really don't care, I loved it and that's all that matters...to me.

Leave a comment:

• jtwg50
    replied

Tochirta: I don't suffer fools well, so I will let my comments stand as posted. There's really nothing more that can be said to someone like you. And since I'm now a working screenwriter who makes my living at it and just had his first film completed, with another going into production in May -- and aims to win Oscars -- I'll focus on my own career and leave yours to you.

Leave a comment:

• Tochirta
    replied

On the topic of this thread, I haven't seen several of those films yet, but I thought American Hustle was quite weak. Some good performances, but a weak film. And Gravity was many things, but "intelligent" isn't the first that comes to mind. Despite of the visual candy, the story was quite underwhelming, I thought.
    you're an idiot and you must leave Done Deal at once!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Richmond, you don't like Kurosawa's films???

You're dead to me.

On the topic of this thread, I haven't seen several of those films yet, but I thought American Hustle was quite weak. Some good performances, but a weak film. And Gravity was many things, but "intelligent" isn't the first that comes to mind. Despite of the visual candy, the story was quite underwhelming, I thought.

I thought Inside Llewyn Davis was great. Prisoners was also pretty good. I didn't think The Spectacular Now was a great film, but there were some great scenes and acting there.

Leave a comment:

• Tochirta
    replied

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
    Tochirta: It is not condescension to note that if you don't understand why "American Hustle" or "Wolf of Wall Street" or "Nebraska" are excellent films (hence their acknowledgment with Oscar nominations), you are probably in the wrong line of aspiration as a screenwriter. If you can't even recognize a very well crafted film when you see one, how do you expect to ever write one?
    And for you to dismiss "Hustle" after it got 10 Oscar nominations is just laughable to me. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion, no matter how ill-informed it is.
    so the barometer of what makes a great, well crafted film is the Oscars? and given the fact that the Oscars HAVE to nominate some films every year, the films' inherent qualities over time (staying power past their year of nomination/win) and especially in comparison to previous years are irrelevant. I don't doubt that Gravity was one of the best films of 2013 but then again, I thought 2013 was an abysmal year.

Please be clear on what you're basing your argument on. Any screenwriter that rushes to "well it was nominated by the Oscars" as an argument needs to consider your not-so-condescending advice.

and he who laughs last laughs best.

Leave a comment:

• jtwg50
    replied

Tochirta: It is not condescension to note that if you don't understand why "American Hustle" or "Wolf of Wall Street" or "Nebraska" are excellent films (hence their acknowledgment with Oscar nominations), you are probably in the wrong line of aspiration as a screenwriter. If you can't even recognize a very well crafted film when you see one, how do you expect to ever write one?
    And for you to dismiss "Hustle" after it got 10 Oscar nominations is just laughable to me. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion, no matter how ill-informed it is.

Leave a comment:

• jtwg50
    replied

It's official -- I am retiring from screenwriting and from all aspirations, in general. Richmond Weems has finally agreed with me on something (although he did have to deem me "contemptible" in order to qualify his statement). There is nothing left for me to accomplish, here or anywhere else. Look for me on a beach near you...

Leave a comment:

• Richmond Weems
    replied

Originally posted by Tochirta View Post
    I thought they were crap. I didn't say you had to think they were crap. What exactly is the problem here?
    Apparently, comprehension. No one said we had to agree with you. But you're on a screenwriting message board so one would assume that you're interested in screenwriting. The key word in my previous post was "dismissive". You may not have liked any of those movies, but you are missing crucial elements of craft with such astute observations as "flimsy" and "boring".

Given your comments concerning other good movies, though, I'm spitting into the wind here.

In all seriousness, what movies do you like? What movies do you like to write?

Leave a comment:

• Tochirta
    replied

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
    At the risk of agreeing with someone as contemptible as jwtg50, I have to admit he's right on this one, Tochirta.

If you didn't like those movies, okay, no worries 'cause it's just an opinion.

BUT...

To so casually dismiss movies that are good and reflect some artistic achievement reflects poorly on you as not only a reviewer, but also as one who seems to be involved in screenwriting.

I don't like Kurosawa movies. However, I would never call them "trash" or dismiss them as "shallow crap" because they are clearly not that no matter what I may think of them.

From a story perspective, American Hustle and Gravity were flimsy and boring. I'm glad y'all liked it, and that's fine. But please don't tell me those films are the pinnacle of screenwriting and I'm somehow missing a crucial element of craft by not liking them.

just stop.

Leave a comment:

• Richmond Weems
    replied

At the risk of agreeing with someone as contemptible as jwtg50, I have to admit he's right on this one, Tochirta.

If you didn't like those movies, okay, no worries 'cause it's just an opinion.

BUT...

To so casually dismiss movies that are good and reflect some artistic achievement reflects poorly on you as not only a reviewer, but also as one who seems to be involved in screenwriting.

I don't like Kurosawa movies. However, I would never call them "trash" or dismiss them as "shallow crap" because they are clearly not that no matter what I may think of them.

Leave a comment:

• Tochirta
    replied

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
    Tochirta: I trust you're joking. If not, you might want to consider an alternative form of creative aspiration. Or get to work on your next zombie script.
    condescension will get you nowhere.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X