Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fantastic year for intelligent adult films

Like many people who come to DD, I have often lamented what has appeared in recent years to be the demise of truly original, intelligent, compelling adult films and the simultaneous rise and apparent dominance of comic book or video game based movies that I personally have no interest in and consider an insult to a general notion of intelligence (as a filmgoer or human being).
    But 2013 delivered a significant blow to any argument that Hollywood is no longer interested in serious films. American Hustle, The Wolf of Wall Street, Dallas Buyer's Club, Her, Nebraska, 12 Years A Slave and Philomena, among others (not nominated for Oscars), suggest that the studios and major prodcos finally accept the premise that such movies can make money and deliver a different audience from tentpole "blockbusters."
    I think that is very good and encouraging news for those of us who like and want to write such movies.
    Let's hope the trend continues with 2014 releases!

Re: A fantastic year for intelligent adult films

Not much I can add to this except that I agree. Everyone's taste is different of course, but I had a similar feeling when The Descendants was released at the end of 2011 - it was like a breath of fresh air.
    "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

You missed Rush - which was supreme.
      M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
        You missed Rush - which was supreme.
        I agree that Rush was a great one (and wonder whether you intentionally slipped in a Robbie Williams reference). Unusual for a movie based on car racing that it is (mostly) based on fact and not sensationalized.

A lot of great movies came out in the last twelve months. Looking forward to seeing what this year brings.
        Last edited by tinycartAU; 02-21-2014, 04:18 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo (well, the one I found)
        Check out my blog:
        Rookie Australian Screenwriter

Comment

I agree Rush was also fantastic -- and I too loved The Descendants. I went three times to see it in the theater.
          We just have to keep the faith that movies like that will never die out, even if it seems a majority are from comic books or video games.
          Diversity is the spice of life (and screenwriting ambitions).

Comment

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
            Let's hope the trend continues with 2014 releases!
            Well we're off to a great start with Gravity. That movie inspires me.

Comment

I thought most of the films from 2013 were absolute crap.

American Hustle? trash.

Wolf of Wall Street? kinda dumb. Had glimpses of a great movie in there but Scorcese thought it'd be better to show a dude getting trashed the entire movie rather than explore the topic with any depth.

12 Years A Slave? yeah it was cool. Probably the best of the bunch. Certainly the most meaningful.

Gravity? Shallow crap. Nothing really happens in this movie. It's Transformers (look at those effects!) for the art crowd.

Dallas Buyer's Club, Her, Rush & Nebraska look boring and nothing special. But I could be wrong.

Comment

Tochirta: I trust you're joking. If not, you might want to consider an alternative form of creative aspiration. Or get to work on your next zombie script.

Comment

Loved Rush, Dallas Buyers, and the Descendants. Loved the feel and atmosphere of Nebraska, but it was a bit slow. Most of the laughs in the audience (even from seniors) seemed forced. Though it's clearly a vignette piece, was hoping it would be better.
                  Last edited by nativeson; 02-22-2014, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
                    Tochirta: I trust you're joking. If not, you might want to consider an alternative form of creative aspiration. Or get to work on your next zombie script.
                    condescension will get you nowhere.

Comment

At the risk of agreeing with someone as contemptible as jwtg50, I have to admit he's right on this one, Tochirta.

If you didn't like those movies, okay, no worries 'cause it's just an opinion.

BUT...

To so casually dismiss movies that are good and reflect some artistic achievement reflects poorly on you as not only a reviewer, but also as one who seems to be involved in screenwriting.

I don't like Kurosawa movies. However, I would never call them "trash" or dismiss them as "shallow crap" because they are clearly not that no matter what I may think of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
                        At the risk of agreeing with someone as contemptible as jwtg50, I have to admit he's right on this one, Tochirta.

If you didn't like those movies, okay, no worries 'cause it's just an opinion.

BUT...

To so casually dismiss movies that are good and reflect some artistic achievement reflects poorly on you as not only a reviewer, but also as one who seems to be involved in screenwriting.

I don't like Kurosawa movies. However, I would never call them "trash" or dismiss them as "shallow crap" because they are clearly not that no matter what I may think of them.
                        I thought they were crap. I didn't say you had to think they were crap. What exactly is the problem here?

From a story perspective, American Hustle and Gravity were flimsy and boring. I'm glad y'all liked it, and that's fine. But please don't tell me those films are the pinnacle of screenwriting and I'm somehow missing a crucial element of craft by not liking them.

just stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Tochirta View Post
                          I thought they were crap. I didn't say you had to think they were crap. What exactly is the problem here?
                          Apparently, comprehension. No one said we had to agree with you. But you're on a screenwriting message board so one would assume that you're interested in screenwriting. The key word in my previous post was "dismissive". You may not have liked any of those movies, but you are missing crucial elements of craft with such astute observations as "flimsy" and "boring".

Given your comments concerning other good movies, though, I'm spitting into the wind here.

In all seriousness, what movies do you like? What movies do you like to write?

Comment

It's official -- I am retiring from screenwriting and from all aspirations, in general. Richmond Weems has finally agreed with me on something (although he did have to deem me "contemptible" in order to qualify his statement). There is nothing left for me to accomplish, here or anywhere else. Look for me on a beach near you...

Comment

Tochirta: It is not condescension to note that if you don't understand why "American Hustle" or "Wolf of Wall Street" or "Nebraska" are excellent films (hence their acknowledgment with Oscar nominations), you are probably in the wrong line of aspiration as a screenwriter. If you can't even recognize a very well crafted film when you see one, how do you expect to ever write one?
                              And for you to dismiss "Hustle" after it got 10 Oscar nominations is just laughable to me. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion, no matter how ill-informed it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X