No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Oscars I've seen

Originally posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post
    I thought Ellen did a terrific job. Her jokes were funny and her manner was relaxed and relatively low key. I hope they bring her back next year.

The parts I think they should've chucked were the tribute clips ("heroes", Wiz of Oz, etc.). "Over the Rainbow" should never be sung by anyone but Judy.

Most horrifying: the face lifts. Everyone is talking about Kim Novak, but I also have to say I had no idea that was Goldie Hawn until a friend told me. And I'm afraid Ellen's joke about Liza was too accurate to be funny.
    Me too, on everything. I know some people thought Ellen was too nice, but it's a celebration, not a roast. We're too snarky too often, most of us. I thought the pizza and the group selfie were adorable, and that Ellen handled Bradley Cooper's ruining of her joke (the joke was supposed to be that Ellen was going to kick Meryl out of the picture at the last minute) with charm and aplomb.

The clip segments were a waste of time and I wish they'd go back to the showing pieces that highlighted cinematography and sound editing and makeup - they've done it in years past and it was always interesting. Not just clips, but actually explaining what the processes are and how they contribute to the film.

I'd have done a separate tribute to Roger Ebert too, if I were in charge of things.

I did think the 75th anniversary tribute to Wizard of Oz was sort of pointless and maybe just an attempt to fill time with another song. Pink was fine, but I just don't think that song should be belted. It's a quiet song to me, not a showstopper. And a gutsier move might have been to remember Gone With the Wind's 75th anniversary, and compare its portrayal of slavery to 12 Years a Slave.

Comment

Maybe I missed it but was there a Philip Seymour Hoffman tribute? Seemed like at least a small recognition was due, even though his death was so recent.

Comment

I can only assume you've seen 1 Oscar's. I feel they get worse and worse every year. They were better when I was in college, saw all the films and actually cared a lot about which film won. Hasn't been that way in a long time for me... The movies I like (and 99% of people like) aren't nominated.

- grumpy old man

Comment

I thought the winners were great. Lots of good speeches this year. But I hated the production. So bloated. Two pointless "hero" montages, a random tribute to The Wizard of Oz, Bette Middler singing an entire song AFTER the In Memoriam, and a lot of Ellen's bits just dragged on too long.

Comment

great show. but the winners for best documentary and best animated film were both the worst movies in their group

Comment

Wished that Dennis Farina would've been included in the Memoriam segment.

And those called Matthew's acceptance speech self-indulgent need a hug.
              "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
              - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

My thoughts on the telecast:

- Ecstatic that Alfonso Cuaron finally won an Oscar. Have been a fan of his since Y Tu Mama Tambien. Also, Children of Men should have been nominated for Best Director and Best Picture the year it came out, and won the latter. Justice has finally been served!

- Also really happy for Matthew McConaughey winning due to the abundance of strong performances he's turned in over the last few years. He's worked hard to turn his career around. Happy for Brad Pitt winning because I think his acting talent is often underrated due to his prettiness. Happy for Spike Jonze because his genius has often flown under the radar. Felt sorry for Leo as he so clearly wants an Oscar, but have admittedly been enjoying the hilarious memes all over the Internet about him (some of the best: http://tinyurl.com/m2oylbb; http://tinyurl.com/ln4lcdu). Also know that Oscar often waits until men are older to give them the award and that he has many Oscar-bait roles ahead of him.

- Happy for 12 Years a Slave winning because it was a powerful film that shined a light on an aspect of history historically ignored in Hollywood. Really happy for Lupita Nyong'o's win as she is the epitome of grace and class and has a long career ahead of her.

- Enjoyed all of the musical performances, particularly Pharrell's as he was able to get Meryl Streep out of her seat to shimmy. Enjoyed seeing Angelina Jolie present with Sidney Poitier; was a real treat to see two of the entertainment industry figures I admire the most together. Was amused by the presences of Kim Novak and Liza Minnelli, living advertisements for why actresses should go light on the plastic surgery. Thought the montages were silly and pointless and need to go in the future, but we know that will never happen.

- Overall enjoyed Ellen's loose and low-key approach, though at times the bits were overlong and slightly tedious. But hosting the Oscars is a thankless job, as people are always preparing themselves to complain about the host Monday morning, regardless of how well he/she does. Don't do it, Neil Patrick Harris!

Overall, an enjoyable show!!
                Last edited by UpandComing; 03-11-2014, 08:21 PM.
                "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Ridley's explanation: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4934459.html
                  "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Working...
                  X