If Kubrick were still alive, we'd probably be discussing his next film, now...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If Kubrick were still alive, we'd probably be discussing his next film, now...

Originally posted by Ire View Post
    And I won't howl about Russell although he didn't have the oeuvre like Kubrick by any stretch of the imagination.
    He was much more of a flamboyant showman than Kubrick, and he had some spectacular misfires, but when he was on target he was supernatural. He's been unfairly maligned.

The Devils is staggeringly good. Direction, acting, music, set design (Derek Jarman did them), costume, camera. A masterpiece. There's a great book called Raising Hell that documents the battle to get it made and the Bigfoot-like search for the mythical complete print of it. Includes an interview with Guillermo Del Toro about how influential the film has been to him.

The Music Lovers is brilliant. Has a long montage as Tchaikovsky is playing that I defy anyone not to admit is pure genius. (Screenplay was written by Melvyn Bragg.)

Mahler. Another incredible offering from his composers cycle.

Tommy. Vastly under-appreciated. Who else but Russell would reimagine Virgin Mary worship as a ritual with a massive statue of Marilyn Monroe?

Crimes of Passion. Anthony Perkins and Kathleen Turner on fire.

Altered States. His most commercial outing. Those hallucination sequences. Wow. Legendary turmoil with Chayefsky during the making.

His early television work for the BBC.

Savage Messiah. Fantastic.

The man was a titan.

Comment

Re: If Kubrick were still alive, we'd probably be discussing his next film, now...

Originally posted by 60WordsPerHour View Post
      He was much more of a flamboyant showman than Kubrick, and he had some spectacular misfires, but when he was on target he was supernatural. He's been unfairly maligned.

The Devils is staggeringly good. Direction, acting, music, set design (Derek Jarman did them), costume, camera. A masterpiece. There's a great book called Raising Hell that documents the battle to get it made and the Bigfoot-like search for the mythical complete print of it. Includes an interview with Guillermo Del Toro about how influential the film has been to him.

The Music Lovers is brilliant. Has a long montage as Tchaikovsky is playing that I defy anyone not to admit is pure genius. (Screenplay was written by Melvyn Bragg.)

Mahler. Another incredible offering from his composers cycle.

Tommy. Vastly under-appreciated. Who else but Russell would reimagine Virgin Mary worship as a ritual with a massive statue of Marilyn Monroe?

Crimes of Passion. Anthony Perkins and Kathleen Turner on fire.

Altered States. His most commercial outing. Those hallucination sequences. Wow. Legendary turmoil with Chayefsky during the making.

His early television work for the BBC.

Savage Messiah. Fantastic.

The man was a titan.
      I love Altered.States. it's been awhile since seeing Crimes of Passion and the Music Lovers.

I'll take your word and see the Devils and Mahler.
      #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

I love Altered.States. it's been awhile since seeing Crimes of Passion and the Music Lovers.

I'll take your word and see the Devils and Mahler.
        The problem with The Devils is that there's about a bajillion different versions floating around, ranging from almost complete to incoherent.

The most canonical is the BFI version.

Comment

And thanks to ctp for giving me the chance to use the word oeuvre a few times. It's been years...
          No problem.

Comment

Working...
          X