Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformers 4

It's that fun time again. Not a Transformers movie, but the hilarious reviews of a Transformers movie!

Tom Long: "Seriously, the next movie should just be called "Transformers: Hammer to the Skull."

Soren Anderson: "Hello, police? I'd like to report an assault."

Peter Hartlaub: "Imagine if instead of creating new music, a recording artist kept putting out the exact same album, just playing the songs a little louder each time."

I think us DD'ers should join the party. Ahem:

FoxHound: "Watching Transformers 4: Age of Extinction is like witnessing a raucous, sugar-fueled gang of 5-year-olds ransack and smash your beloved home, all while you're helplessly duct-taped to your favorite chair.

Anyone else want to join in?
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Re: Transformers 4

Devin Faraci: Transformers: Age of Extinction is like binge-watching the death of the human spirit.

Comment

To me gleeful trashing of bad summer movies is just as boring and unimaginative as the movies themselves. It's one thing if you're a critic ant it's your job to go see new releases every week. But if you're just a regular dude and you choose to spend your own money to go see a movie you anticipate not liking just so you can go on the internet and tell everyone how big of a pile of crap it is... kinda sounds like an enormous waste of time, money and effort.

btw FoxHound: have you actually seen it or are you dissing it based on trailers and other peoples opinions?

Comment

Yeah I'm a little confused by this. On Twitter, I see a ton of people talking about horrible Transformers is, but these are the same people who hated the previous Transformers movies, so why did they go see it? And if they didn't see it, why are they trashing it?

I don't like the Transformers movies either, so I save my money and go see movies I think I'll like. That seems like common sense to me.
        Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by cap7 View Post
          To me gleeful trashing of bad summer movies is just as boring and unimaginative as the movies themselves.
          I agree with cap7.

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
          Yeah I'm a little confused by this. On Twitter, I see a ton of people talking about horrible Transformers is, but these are the same people who hated the previous Transformers movies, so why did they go see it? And if they didn't see it, why are they trashing it?
          It's the same reason why everyone who hated the Star Wars prequels will go watch Episode 7, 8, 9, and so on.

Intrigue. Hype. And hope.

Hope that this next film might be as good as what made the franchise so popular in the first place.

For Star Wars, it was the original trilogy.

For Transformers, it's probably the first movie.

I liked the first Transformers movie. It was great for what it was (a huge summer popcorn flick to attract the masses). And I think what some people forget is that the majority of the audience actually liked/loved the first Transformers movie (86% audience on rotten tomatoes / 7.2 imdb). The second one was not as universally liked (58% audience / 6.0 imdb). Didn't look up the third, but it probably didn't do well as the first with the audience either.

Point I'm trying to make is that Transformers built a fanbase (or a "hype"-base maybe), after the first film. It's what's keeping this going. It's also marketing, presence, and the fact that everyone is talking about it (both pre-and-post-opening).

Comment

Regardless of personal opinion from one commenter to another, a movie as "larger than life" as Transformers 4 still required a lot of hard work. I'd be particularly impressed by the writer's task. Can you imagine it? After three big films just like it (irrespective of Box Office receipts), and three times of both hype and criticism, and sometimes hypercriticism, the writer -- in this case Ehren Kruger -- must pull a rabbit out of his hat... again. Well, my hat's off to him for completing the task, regardless of all else.
            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
              Regardless of personal opinion from one commenter to another, a movie as "larger than life" as Transformers 4 still required a lot of hard work. I'd be particularly impressed by the writer's task. Can you imagine it? After three big films just like it (irrespective of Box Office receipts), and three times of both hype and criticism, and sometimes hypercriticism, the writer -- in this case Ehren Kruger -- must pull a rabbit out of his hat... again. Well, my hat's off to him for completing the task, regardless of all else.
              Maybe if the rabbit was dead I'd agree with your analogy.

The only reason I saw it was because I mildly enjoyed the third one, and to support the FX and CGI artists. They did spectacular work. Why can't the same level of effort be given to the plot, dialogue and characters?

Actually, I won't say the story was crap. Technically, something needs to exist first before it can be called crap.

Comment

Originally posted by IGetsBuckets View Post
                I agree with cap7.

It's the same reason why everyone who hated the Star Wars prequels will go watch Episode 7, 8, 9, and so on.

Intrigue. Hype. And hope.

Hope that this next film might be as good as what made the franchise so popular in the first place.

For Star Wars, it was the original trilogy.

For Transformers, it's probably the first movie.

I liked the first Transformers movie. It was great for what it was (a huge summer popcorn flick to attract the masses). And I think what some people forget is that the majority of the audience actually liked/loved the first Transformers movie (86% audience on rotten tomatoes / 7.2 imdb). The second one was not as universally liked (58% audience / 6.0 imdb). Didn't look up the third, but it probably didn't do well as the first with the audience either.

Point I'm trying to make is that Transformers built a fanbase (or a "hype"-base maybe), after the first film. It's what's keeping this going. It's also marketing, presence, and the fact that everyone is talking about it (both pre-and-post-opening).
                This is a fair point. I definitely plan to see the new Star Wars movies, although that's also because there's a new team in charge.
                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

I really think Kruger is one of the worst writers in the world, possibly the universe. He actually makes Orci and Kurtzman look good on the first film. That the second, third and fourth films have made money is despite him, not because of him.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                    Ditto that.

An amazing feat in itself.

It was long. Mark Wahlberg was a good change up. Father figure was a good play, imo. There were some good 'Transformer' moments. I think it will do very well in China.

When I thought the movie was over, suddenly we're traveling to China. It felt like some of this part of the film was as politically driven to make the Chinese government happy? Kind of like a second film that was in response to the opening sequence.

Huge kudos to Kruger. I think he's a good writer. It's a huge movie. Visuals are what we've come to expect from Bay, but I don't recall so many sun flares in the previous films. It was annoying, blinding even, but then I was in the second row.

It has a lot of story going on.

Slick ass cars.

Definitely set up for another sequel.
                    FA4
                    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
                      I really think Kruger is one of the worst writers in the world, possibly the universe. He actually makes Orci and Kurtzman look good on the first film. That the second, third and fourth films have made money is despite him, not because of him.
                      He got discovered after Arlington Road won the Nicholl. I think he's a good writer, but Michael Bay / Studio execs are the problem.

When your draft comes in at 125 pages and Bay says "We need 40 minutes of more butt crack" or "Find a way to work giant robot dinosaurs into the plot," you're just asking for a poor script.

In fact, T4 is a great learning tool for writers. Emily and other pros tell us "Less is more." This film explains why having more is less.

There are SO MANY characters, villains, plot lines, yet the combined effect is complete EMPTINESS to the story. It's one of those paradox's in storytelling. If a film has 2 plotlines, 5 characters, you could absorb and remember (maybe fall in love) with them, but if one has 10 and 25 respectively, the film turns into a memory exercise, not a movie-going experience.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                        He got discovered after Arlington Road won the Nicholl. I think he's a good writer, but Michael Bay / Studio execs are the problem.
                        So it's true, then. Too many cooks really do spoil the broth. I like the screenwriter anecdotes that talk of changing their screenplay umpteen times until they themselves hardly recognize it, then get the last set of notes and revert to either their original draft or their first page-one rewrite and it's greenlighted. (urban myth?)
                        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Somebody on IMDb put it most succinctly...

Bayformers: Age of Excretion

And sometimes people go to watch mindless crap because they have nothing else to do, have some money, and wanna see explosions and stuff. Like me, sadly. I was in one of those 'zones'. Happens all the time to everybody.

That's why **** sells in Hollywood.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post

When your draft comes in at 125 pages and Bay says "We need 40 minutes of more butt crack" or "Find a way to work giant robot dinosaurs into the plot," you're just asking for a poor script.

In fact, T4 is a great learning tool for writers. Emily and other pros tell us "Less is more." This film explains why having more is less.

There are SO MANY characters, villains, plot lines, yet the combined effect is complete EMPTINESS to the story. It's one of those paradox's in storytelling. If a film has 2 plotlines, 5 characters, you could absorb and remember (maybe fall in love) with them, but if one has 10 and 25 respectively, the film turns into a memory exercise, not a movie-going experience.
                            I don't think it's Bay that's the problem. Bay, if given a half decent script can still churn out a completely watchable film, e.g. the Island, and even the first Transformers film had at least some merit.

The problem is, Bay is not a story guy, all he does is take whatever you have and make it glossy and slick, if he is being fed garbage, then the output is glossy garbage. It's happened three times in a row now, I suppose in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter as the franchise makes money regardless, but it wouldn't hurt to make a good film in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                              Yeah I'm a little confused by this. On Twitter, I see a ton of people talking about horrible Transformers is, but these are the same people who hated the previous Transformers movies, so why did they go see it? And if they didn't see it, why are they trashing it?.
                              I suspect most of them haven't seen it.

Transformers is an easy target to pick on and may not be for everyone but clearly their is a audience for it's flavor of summer spectacle.
                              Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Working...
                              X