Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowpiercer

I really, really liked this film. If you can get over the logical aspects of some of the concepts and let yourself be swept away by the fantastical nature of it all, you'll dig it.

It's unique. Genre bending. The caricature nature of some of the characters and ideas makes this seem like a Roald Dahl children's movie; but the violence, gore, and themes suggests otherwise.

It's a shame it only got a limited release since I think it deserved much more (oh Harvey Weinstein). Then again, I'm not completely sure if general audiences would buy some of its ideas. I can also imagine the ending being fairly polarizing.

I'm a fan of Bong Joon-ho's THE HOST and MOTHER. Those movies really stuck with me and SNOWPIERCER is no exception.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX5PwfEMBM0

Re: Snowpiercer

Snowpiercer what a crazy ride! Tilda Swinton's performance was strange, confusing, but nonetheless superb. Not sure if I dreamed the part where she took her false teeth out though, it was late when I watched it.

Comment

Well, it wasn't same-old-same-old, THAT'S for sure...

You did not dream Mason taking her top teeth out. It didn't make any sense to my fully conscious self.

I'm not sure what Weinstein was thinking, when he asked for cuts and monologues; the film's fine. I wouldn't condescend to "general audiences"; it's a well made film and you don't know the themes of a film, going in, anyway.

Did anyone see it on film? The theater I went to projected it digitally and it looked soft and bland.

Comment

Oh, and it takes a helluva knife to cut through bone, in case anyone was wondering. That part of the story bothered me. (Also, the idea that people would just start hacking off limbs, that Wilford and Gilliam would threaten the existence of the tail people (balance is everything?), and Curtis could do enough damage to his arm to cause that scar without impairing it, barring medical intervention (plausible but unlikely?). And why did Gilliam need Wilford to call him? Phones go both ways. If only one station could initiate calls, it would be Gilliam's, anyway, since he's the one that needed to communicate covertly.)

Comment

I thought this was a terrific ride. Great character work on the part of fine actors, provocative story, thrilling action... and oh, by the way, minimal reliance on special effects green-screen stuff. Sure, there were the logic blurps....

***SPOILERS***

... if a guy's arm can freeze in exactly 7 minutes when stuck outside the train, then how does the climate warm in less than a few days to the point where two people can walk outside and not have their noses freeze off? What about those bullet holes through the windows -- wouldn't that have messed up the perfectly precise thermostat? Where did Timmy suddenly find a fur coat in his size? And that polar bear at the end looked like he had one thought when he saw those two people: lunch!

Still, NONE of the logic stuff ultimately mattered for me. The film stayed with me, the images and the story. I would love to read the script and see how the writer put those hand-to-hand fight scenes on the page.

Thanks!

Late Night Writer
          Last edited by emily blake; 07-15-2014, 05:42 PM. Reason: No script requests

Comment

They indicated that 7 minutes was an unusually small amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
              They indicated that 7 minutes was an unusually small amount of time.
              They also said "at this altitude" which implies that the train is not always at the same altitude during its run. Probably not the same longitude, either.
              Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

It's an allegory, people! Based on a comic book. It's not going to be 100 percent realistic.

Also: there were no live cows or chickens on the train...

Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

That we saw. Movies are highlights-reels; it's not a plot-hole, when something could plausibly happen between the cuts. (Pet peeve.)

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
                    That we saw. Movies are highlights-reels; it's not a plot-hole, when something could plausibly happen between the cuts. (Pet peeve.)
                    All I heard going in was that Showpiercer was this brilliant Korean movie that Harvey Weinstein was destroying with edits for American audiences. I left feeling it was kind of dumb.

If I had gone in thinking it was a goof action movie trying to do social commentary but mostly just a fun ride, I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Comment

I went in willfully ignorant of the tone and enjoyed it. It's a pretty darn good movie-movie.

Comment

I always try to see movies before media hype can ruin the experience for me. Very compelling bit of entertainment, this. Suspension of disbelief required, of course. Afterwards, plenty of food for thought. And by food...

Comment

My one big "bullshit" moment was when Curtis yelled for fire and the people in the back heard him and knew exactly what to do.

Comment

It was a hoot!

Comment

Great movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X