No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I never caught the Pixar bug

Originally posted by ctp View Post
    To me, they're just the people who **** up the English Miyazaki releases. What am I missing? What film should I watch?
    What animated movies do you prefer?

Comment

I don't watch a lot of animation. I recently enjoyed "Paprika," though, and "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Spirited Away" are two of my favorite films. "My Neighbor Totoro" is nigh perfect, IMO.

Comment

WALL-E is a masterpiece. And a lesson in screenwriting.

Comment

Originally posted by Joaneasley View Post
          I strongly disagree. The best Pixar Films, and I include the Toy Story films among the best, capture pure, guileless, poignant emotion that can touch people of all ages. They're stories about love and loss and being afraid for your kids, and not fitting in, and other real emotions we all face sometimes. I get a lot more out of Pixar films than any action or horror or thriller flick. Different strokes for different folks.
          I think Wall-E was the best Pixar film, I enjoyed the first half of that, but at their worst they are really quite tedious. I find it very hard to sit through something like Cars.

Plus, I just don't like the stylised look of their animation in films like the Incredibles, there's no detail in it and I just find that unappealing. Still, like you say, diffferent strokes.

Comment

Originally posted by omovie View Post
            Unlike the Pirates films which are tailor made for MENSA members.
            TBH I liked bits of the first one but have found everything else about them tedious, I actually fell asleep in the theatre watching the third one.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
              I don't think you are missing anything, they are films for little children primarily at the end of the day.
              I've always considered them movies for sophisticated adults that are so beautifully constructed, little kids can enjoy them, too. As my daughter grew up, I looked forward to Pixar movies as much as she did.
              TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
                I don't watch a lot of animation. I recently enjoyed "Paprika," though, and "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Spirited Away" are two of my favorite films. "My Neighbor Totoro" is nigh perfect, IMO.
                Ah, then it's just a matter of taste. You clearly enjoy the hand-drawn, Japanese storytelling style, which I can't argue. There is a timelessness to these movies. They connect more with classical myths and fairy tales.

Pixar only does computer generated films, and I do believe that the form has a lot of sway over the content. They do tend to lean more to modern sensibilities. They're not reliant on pop culture references like the more DreamWorks/Warner Brothers fare, but they're more actiony/flashy than Hayao Mijazaki.

Comment

I rewatched "Monsters Inc." I enjoyed it but the comedy felt very low effort and, outside their relationships to Boo, the characters were very thin. I'll look at one or two more, though.

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                  Ah, then it's just a matter of taste. You clearly enjoy the hand-drawn, Japanese storytelling style, which I can't argue. There is a timelessness to these movies. They connect more with classical myths and fairy tales.
                  I haven't watched enough Japanese films, live action or animation, to really say that I have a taste for them. I could write a lot about why I love "My Neighbor Totoro" but I'm tired, so that will have to wait.

Originally posted by sfire8 View Post
                  WALL-E is a masterpiece. And a lesson in screenwriting.
                  I caught a minute or two of it, once. Not for me.

Plus, I just don't like the stylised look of their animation in films like the Incredibles, there's no detail in it and I just find that unappealing. Still, like you say, diffferent strokes.
                  http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vYyla_rKc1...600/402313.jpg

It's like the difference between Orson Welles or Stanley Kubrick and Michael Bay. Bay, credit where credit's due, knows how to shoot and cut a scene but Welles and Kubrick knew how to shoot and cut a scene that you'll never stop thinking about.

Comment

I agree. I loved the beginning of Wall-E, too, but not the whole film. And Cars didn't measure up at all.

I think Wall-E was the best Pixar film, I enjoyed the first half of that, but at their worst they are really quite tedious. I find it very hard to sit through something like Cars.

Comment

You're all going to Hell for this blasphemy.

Comment

Japanese animation (mostly synonymous with Miyazaki) is usually more fantasy themed than their US counterparts.

And there are many others which are great -- Satoshi Kon made Paprika, Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers.

Then there's others like Whisper of the Heart, Wolf Children, The Girl who Leapt through Time, Appleseed, Ghost in the Shell.

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
                          You're all going to Hell for this blasphemy.
                          What Weems said. Though we can all pretend Cars never happened. Pretty much everything else Pixar have done are masterpieces.

Though I take nothing away from Ghibli who have an equally impressive history.

Comment

Finding Nemo is an almost perfect film. Love the humour, the story telling and the characterisations. I get sucked in every single time it's on. Can't walk past it. The Dory character is one of my favourite side-kicks - the originality of that comic device is delicious. And across the story, the humour is so quick and sharp, witty on so many levels but also just visually gorgeous so it can be appreciated as a simple, comic story or something much deeper. I cry at the start of Finding Nemo every time.

(So you can imagine the mess I'm in at the start of Up.)
                            sigpic

Website
                            Tweets
                            Book

Comment

Working...
                            X