No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

Anybody see this this opening weekend?

Based on the $6M opening I'm guessing not.

Just curious if it were any good being that it has 22 producers credited. Once I saw that Frank Miller was listed as a director (alongside of Rodriguez) I had flashbacks of "The Spirit" and decided to pass altogether until I hear what the word of mouth was.
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Re: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

I did, it was okay. Totally a wait for Netflix movie, unless you want to see Eva Green naked and 20 feet tall (why I was there).

All of those producers were due to this being an indie film with a hefty budget.

Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I liked it a lot. Maybe the nine-year wait or the fact it was in an already crowded slot with comic book films that it didn't do well.
      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Damn, I was hoping it would be worth seeing in the movies but figured based on the trailer Netflix was the move
        One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

I still really want to see it. It's just too bad it came out the weekend so many people are out buying school supplies with their kids. I bet that had a fair amount to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
            I still really want to see it. It's just too bad it came out the weekend so many people are out buying school supplies with their kids. I bet that had a fair amount to do with it.
            I don't think people who have kids are the demo for Sin City.

The demo are young males and they run hot and cold. They might say they want to see a movie like this but when the time comes they're like, ah, let's just see Guardians again.

Young women are more reliable. They make plans to go see something like If I Stay which didn't do as well as people hoped but did better than Sin City.

Anyway, I think there were a lot of problems with Sin City. The marketing sucked. Frank Miller is a nutjob. Robert Rodriguez doesn't seem to realize that. And yes 9 years makes a difference. I think not because it's a long time between sequels but because that look while exciting 9 years ago looks dated now.

Lastly, A Dame to Kill For is one of the weakest stories from the comic books. There are some cool things in it, but storywise it's very straightforward. All the stories in the first one were original and interesting. ADTKF is just Miller's take on a basic femme fatale story.

That's my take on it. I know hindsight is 20/20 but this is the sequel nobody asked for.

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post

The demo are young males and they run hot and cold. They might say they want to see a movie like this but when the time comes they're like, ah, let's just see Guardians again.

Young women are more reliable. They make plans to go see something like If I Stay which didn't do as well as people hoped but did better than Sin City.

Anyway, I think there were a lot of problems with Sin City. The marketing sucked. Frank Miller is a nutjob. Robert Rodriguez doesn't seem to realize that. And yes 9 years makes a difference. I think not because it's a long time between sequels but because that look while exciting 9 years ago looks dated now.

Lastly, A Dame to Kill For is one of the weakest stories from the comic books. There are some cool things in it, but storywise it's very straightforward. All the stories in the first one were original and interesting. ADTKF is just Miller's take on a basic femme fatale story.

That's my take on it. I know hindsight is 20/20 but this is the sequel nobody asked for.
              Then what would be a better sequel? A paint-by-numbers deal?

I don't think Frank's a nutjob. Eccentric? Sure (like a lot of comic book professionals), but far from a nutjob.
              Last edited by Madbandit; 08-26-2014, 10:32 AM.
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                I don't think Frank's a nutjob. Eccentric? Sure (like a lot of comic book professionals), but far from a nutjob.
                I don't know. Between "The Spirit" and "Holy Terror" you could probably make a case that Miller is nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                  I dunno. I thought he was God in the 80's 90's then I think he just started to go off the rails. The Dark Knight Strikes Again was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. He's just a really bitter, angry individual. Maybe "nutjob" was not appropriate. But he has lost touch and I don't trust him to tell a good story anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                    I don't know. Between "The Spirit" and "Holy Terror" you could probably make a case that Miller is nuts.
                    BTS footage of 300 the producers were trying their best not to let on that he was difficult to work with.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post

Anyway, I think there were a lot of problems with Sin City. The marketing sucked. Frank Miller is a nutjob. Robert Rodriguez doesn't seem to realize that. And yes 9 years makes a difference.
                      9 years ago the target demographic didn't have kids... now they do.

Comment

9 years ago the target demographic didn't have kids... now they do.
                        I wonder how many of them had daughters and it changed their view of the first one.

Comment

I'm female and I liked the first one.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                            I wonder how many of them had daughters and it changed their view of the first one.
                            Hasn't changed my view. I liked it.

Comment

I'm female and I liked the first one.
                              Eh, yeah. I couldn't remember how it came out on the side of females. I may be thinking more All Star Batman and Robin.

Comment

Working...
                              X