No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who Is the Most Influential

culturally or artistically or both?

I think two of the best directors in the last twenty years must be guys like Almodovar and Miyazaki. Tarantino is however the most influential in terms of what he has done in influencing so many other movies, especially when it comes to dialogue. in many ways, although slightly different, he continued to write dialogue the way woody allen did, and they both contributed greatly to the death of more formal expressions(which you only see in tv-movies made for families now, and historical films).

Comment

PS:

Since Great Gatsby, I think Baz Luhrmann has the goods. As an English major who loves the book to no end, I've seen every incarnation of Gatsby on film and I think his version is the only one that actually captures the energy of the era and characters as they were meant to be.
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by Bairn_Writer View Post
        Gareth Edwards, who directed Godzilla cited Jaws as the inspiration for not showing Godzilla until way into the movie. All these types of films do that these days to build the tension, so even almost 40 years on Spielberg and Jaws are still very much influential.
        Spielberg probably got that from Hitchcock (he got most things from Hitchcock, it sometimes seems...), who probably got it from a silent film director.

Comment

How about Judd Apatow -- he essentially created the bro-mance genre (not that I'm thrilled because it essentially killed the traditional rom-com), but he should get props for that, no?
          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I agree with Bananos, influence on future/current filmmakers, or writers, or culturally? I think there could be a distinction.

Either way an interesting and requiring more characters than I would usually post on DDP.

From the 70's to the 80's I would have said Spielberg had influence that spanned culture and the world of filmmaking. Culturally, his name became synonymous with great filmmaking and probably not since Hitchcock had a filmmaker achieved such "stardom."

To compare, Scorsese and Coppola in the 70's were huge influences in filmmaking. Coppola had more cultural influence with The GODFATHER was culturally influential, but I'd say both Coppola and Scorsese's influence was artistic. Heavyweights, but when it came to cultural and filmmaking influence, neither could compete with Spielberg's stardom.

From 1994 to 2014 I would say Tarantino had influence that went beyond filmmaking because of his highly stylized "coolness" of his work i.e., his dialogue, his vision. Also, his "indie-ness" I agree that he hit an unprecedented high starting in 1992 but if you look at his influence on the indie film world, I think it had rippling effects that didn't fade until the early 00's. Tarantino's "coolness" and cultural influence faded as he widened the scope of his lens from the world of crime and he expanded his genres. I think he's become a better filmmaker because of it. And I'm one to break out the PULP FICTION DVD every once in a while.

I suggest that the Coens' influence were much more influential artistically than on a cultural level. Culturally... FARGO was a success, but I'd suggest THE BIG LEBOWSKI was their most culturally influential hit up until NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN they had other successes like BARTON FINK. But imo they have been great filmmakers, but "cultish" filmmakers because of their aesthetics.

Fincher is up there on my list as he is the Kubrick of the 00's. I'd say like Kubrick, his primary influence would be artistic.

Nolan.

Spike Lee

Honestly I don't think there is a comparable of Spielberg for cultural and artistic influence.

Nolan might actually be closest. I'd like to see him start collaborating. He seems convinced he's as good of a writer as he is a filmmaker. Great filmmaker, but not as equally great a writer... One title to remind folks: INSOMNIA. We'll see with INTERSTELLAR.

Can I note that Spielberg filmmaker. FILMMAKER, not writer/director.

Those are my primary noms.

The creators of THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT had influence, but it was imo of a limited scope.

M. Night had influence culturally, but believed he was always as a good of a writer as he was a filmmaker. Solid, at times great filmmaker, but writer...
            #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Nolan's only done two originals, FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
                Great filmmaker, but not as equally great a writer... One title to remind folks: INSOMNIA.
                I'm confused about this part of your post. Your wording seems to suggest you think Insomnia is a poorly-written film, but it's the only film Nolan's directed that he didn't help write, so you'd be contradicting yourself if that was the case.

Alternatively, you could be suggesting that Insomnia is a well-written film, and because it's the only film Nolan didn't write, stands as proof that his involvement in the writing brings a film down?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
                  I'm confused about this part of your post. Your wording seems to suggest you think Insomnia is a poorly-written film, but it's the only film Nolan's directed that he didn't help write, so you'd be contradicting yourself if that was the case.

Alternatively, you could be suggesting that Insomnia is a well-written film, and because it's the only film Nolan didn't write, stands as proof that his involvement in the writing brings a film down?
                  INSOMNIA, is a great script and Nolan knocked it out of the park. Since INSOMNIA, Nolan has directed his own screenplay material 3 out of 4 films. The PRESTIGE adaptation, INCEPTION, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (Goyer was story only.) BATMAN BEGINS was more of a collaboration.

He is a definitely a capable writer, but I'd suggest his filmmaking ability is head and shoulders above his writing abilities. INCEPTION and TDKR are examples where I think the writing wasn't as strong as the direction. BATMAN BEGINS was pretty superior to TDKR with the exception of Ledger as the Joker. I can think of more than a few scenes in INCEPTION where the ideas were great, but the dialogue and the characterization, was sub-par imo.

I think INTERSTELLAR will be a test if his writing can rise up to his directing abilities.

Noted, MEMENTO. I would suggest he hang his writer/director hat on that movie. As great as it was, it was the idea that powered that film.

I can't blame him for wanting to follow and being able to follow his passion for ideas, but I will point out the results have been stronger in collaboration INSOMNIA, and BATMAN BEGINS.

By contrast, the last movie that Spielberg wrote and directed was CLOSE ENCOUNTERS. I'm sure he had a hand in polishing material as necessary, but CETK was the last time he was listed as writer/director. Exception, A.I. A.I.
                  #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Okay, I see what you're getting at. I agree that writing isn't Chris Nolan's strong suit (I have a hunch Jonathan Nolan excels more in that area). For what it's worth, Interstellar is sitting at 9.5 on IMDb with 660 votes...

Comment

"Who is the most influential director of the past 20 years?"

Like it or not, it's Michael Bay.

The Rock (1996) and Armageddon (1998) were enormously influential movies in terms of action plotting, special effects, and editing style. Those two movies brought Bay's music video style into the main stream.

Transformers (2007) changed the movie world again. Not since Star Wars has a movie been so intertwined with its merchandising. Around the time of Transformers, studios began to shift their attention more heavily toward international BO.

Sam Raimi with Spiderman laid the groundwork for Transformers, and Joss Whedon took it to new heights with Avengers, but I would say that no other director in the past 20 years has left their imprint on the business of making movies like Michael Bay has.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
                        I'm curious what specific films you're referring to apart from Godzilla that did this.
                        The two off the top of my head are Cloverfield and Super 8, which are both essentially Godzilla films anyway. But also the 1998 Godzilla movie waited a good while into the movie and also things like the last King Kong movie (which granted is a different type of movie).

Gong back a bit further the Alien's movies and Predator also wait a good while into the movie for the big reveal.

Comment

I actually think it's a good point about Bay. Influential doesn't mean greatest, and you cannot deny Bay's had an influence on everything from Christopher Nolan to JJ's Trek and Star Wars films. He's played a central role in brining the sizzle (but not the substance) to the modern HW blockbuster.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
                            I actually think it's a good point about Bay. Influential doesn't mean greatest, and you cannot deny Bay's had an influence on everything from Christopher Nolan to JJ's Trek and Star Wars films. He's played a central role in brining the sizzle (but not the substance) to the modern HW blockbuster.
                            True... Why is there no Weeping Uncontrollably smilie?

Comment

The answer is actually very simple -

Mogan Spurlock. Chicken Nuggets were never the same again.

Though I'd agree with the Bay comments, Nolan to a lesser degree. The Tarantino clones faded into obscurity long ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X