Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Wick

Pretty damn good. The premise is so ancient it's creaking around on a zimmer, and they don't attempt to make it feel at all new, even allowing the inciting incident to be pure happenstance, but once you get past that it's a rather high quality B movie; bodies hit the ground almost immediately and it doesn't let up. The shaky cam isn't used at offensive levels, the fight choreography is gorgeous, the strange criminal underworld rules are developed to a degree where I thought this might actually be based on a book, and Ian McShane (no context needed for that last one. Just Ian McShane.)

The casting was probably the highlight. The characters found the right actors pretty much the whole way around. For people who have seen it, the hotel attendant had a somewhat eerie presence in his scenes and I had trouble putting an exact name to it. The writer didn't. The dude was called Charon.

I can't say much about Keanu. I think he has a limited range, but within that range he's always highly watchable. In this film, he's highly watchable. And he's finally starting to look his age. Assuming he's 35.

Re: John Wick

Originally posted by Vance View Post
    Assuming he's 35.
    Believe it or not, Keanu is 50.

Yeah, John Wick was written by my buddy, Derek Kolstad. Super talented and humble guy. Get out there and see it folks!
    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Thought it was great.

Basically, think this year's Taken, only R-rated. A no-nonsense B-movie with a consistent tone and kickass adrenaline-fueled execution. No unnecessary character arcs or crazy plot twists, just a man on a mission and a lot of head shots.

Comment

I thought the action was incredible. The structure writing wise really bothered me, but I'm picky. Fun movie otherwise though.
        That action man!
        @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed this one.
          And the Award For Best "Oh." goes to...

Comment

Can't wait to see this based on the reviews it's getting. Keanu Reeves can be very good in the right type of role.

BTW, he just signed on to his next movie; according to THR, "the sci-fi thriller centers on a daring neuroscientist who, after a car accident kills his family, will stop at nothing to bring them back."
            http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...tar-sci-744466

Looks like someone's gunning to be the next Liam Neeson, lol...
            "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
              I was joking about. I knew his rough age, but you can only really see it when his jaw tightens up or makes some similar movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                Depp, Pitt, Cruise, Clooney... all in their 50s.

A lot of the top femme actors are in their mid- to late- forties or even 50 now (Bullock).

I know there's a bunch of up-and-comers, but I feel there's a generation missing somehow- at least in terms of major A level talent. It seems like it just sort of skipped a generation.

Maybe I'm forgetting some names or maybe the industry is more content-driven than star-driven these days.

I'm talking *stars* in the sense of: hey have you seen the new *Name of Star* flick?

Thoughts?

Comment

I don't think it's a lack of talent. I think it's nostalgia addiction. Remember this guy from that movie?
                  Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by NoirDigits View Post
                    I don't think it's a lack of talent.

I do.
                    "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

BTW, did you hear Keanu say he no longer gets any studio offers? He says it all dried up.

Pretty amazing, there. Enough to bake your noodle.
                      "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

terrible movie

Comment

Originally posted by Tochirta View Post
                          terrible movie
                          I'm honestly curious: can you elaborate on what you felt made this terrible?

Comment

Actually maybe the original script Scorn made more sense, then the cliche the bad guys kidnap the protagonist and what do you know he escapes.

I will not fall into despair! I will keep myself hearty, till freedom is opportune!

Comment

This post came out of nowhere but I thought I'd mention... I really LIKED "John Wick" the movie. I did not read the script. I greatly DISLIKED "John Wick 2." I did not read that script either. The sequel's ending was ridiculous in my opinion. I think what I liked about the first John Wick is I didn't see it coming. It surprised me. Going into the sequel I had a preconceived notion that it was going to be cool. It wasn't. A bigger body count and more bullets can't fill the plot holes and bad characterization. I won't pay a dime for the third one.

Comment

Working...
                              X