Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calvary

This is very, very impressive. IMO the best film out there since NEBRASKA.

Re: Calvary

I don't get the love for this film.

The whole thing is obvious exposition and soap boxing.

Comment

I didn't find it too soap boxy, and I don't understand the comment about it being "obvious exposition".

I thought it was a remarkable film about a man (and maybe a faith) becoming extinct. At least, that's my take on it.

Comment

Perhaps watch it again.

Every scene was the characters pontificating on some modern subject. Either the banks, or bankers or priests or the church or people's attitude to the church and doing so in a very obvious, this is what the filmmaker thinks about X, now this is what he thinks about Y, and now Z. I'd be mortified writing a screenplay that was so ridiculously on the nose in almost every line of dialogue.

Just very thinly veiled soap boxing from start to finish. Not a film, but a lecture. And a very obvious and boring one at that.

But a lot of people love it, so maybe I need to see it again and figure out what the difference is that allowed this writer to get away with such weak writing that people don't notice.

Comment

I couldn't wait to see this movie, especially after THE GUARD which I loved. I have to agree with Klazart on this though. I tried to figure out why it was so disappointing to me and I came to the conclusion it was the lack of action from the lead, (Brendon Gleeson). I felt Michael McDonagh had a lot of people talk at the priest with all of their various problems etc, but the priest didn't do anything to move the story forward except just wait to be killed. I would have liked to see the lead be more pro-active. I too will watch it again, sometimes with a second viewing you see things differently.

Comment

Yeah, I loved The Guard as well. Had high hopes for Calvary.

Comment

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on how one feels about the movie, but the priest's inaction was precisely the point of the whole thing.

And the above is not to say you guys "didn't get it", you just didn't like it. No worries. I don't like John Updike novels and I think Kurosawa films are a chore to sit through.

One man's meat is another man's poison, as Bugs Bunny would say.

Comment

I thought it was a powerful, soulful performance.

Comment

Brendan Gleeson should be nominated for his performance.

This is an actor's movie, all the way.

Kelly Reilly is wonderful too.

I also loved the several writer's jokes that may not play so much in middle America. Really good film.
                  "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Working...
                  X