This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oh Dog, here we go again...

Female James Bond, Asian James Bond, Gay James Bond.

I'd probably like any of them more than the last two Bond movies.

Again. Quality script + quality actor is all that matters in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
      I see about a dozen things right with Idris Elba being the new Bond.
      I think if we see Elba take up that mantle, it'll feel like no one had ever been meant to play the role besides him. .
      My hopes that Elba will take the role are purely that of a fan. I think Elba would be magnificent as Bond.
      Are you his agent?

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
        I never understand people going crazy about changing the race of fictional characters. It's not like they're real people.
        If Shaft or Elba's Luther were cast by white actors and blacks started rioting, I think you would understand why they'd be angry.

Comment

He'll understand that its all about context, and that the current context is that there are only a handful of good black characters while there are millions of good white characters.
          The question is : Do you work in the business?

Comment

Did you see that photo of Idris Elba in a tux? He already IS Bond, James Bond.

I think he'd be sensational.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Originally posted by entlassen View Post
              If Shaft or Elba's Luther were cast by white actors and blacks started rioting...
              Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Takeshiro View Post
                He'll understand that its all about context, and that the current context is that there are only a handful of good black characters while there are millions of good white characters.
                What does this mean? Is there a limit to the number of possible characters or something? And since blacks are about 13% of America's population (and even less in England) why do they need to be 70% of the characters we see in movies?

Also, many of those "good white characters" you mention have already been appropriated by black actors:

Robert Neville in I Am Legend: white in the book, black in the most recent (and worst) movie version.

Red in The Shawshank Redemption: white in the book, black in the movie.

Creasy in Man on Fire: white in the original, black in the remake.

Robert McCall in The Equalizer: white in the original show, black in the movie.

Jim West in Wild Wild West: white in the original show, black in the movie.

Annie: at least they kept the villains white.

Nick Fury: apparently white in the comics, black in the movies.

Captain America: just been re-imagined as black in the comics.

Heimdall: obviously white in Nordic mythology, cast as Elba in the movies.

Felix Leiter: white in the books, black in the most recent Bond movies.

Moneypenny: white in the books, black in the most recent Bond movies.

Hercules: white in mythology, non-white in the recent movie.

Conan the Barbarian: white in the books, non-white in the recent movie.

Not to mention The Karate Kid, the Manchurian Candidate, Death at a Funeral, The Nutty Professor, and probably a million others.

Now, can someone cite a single example of a black character being re-imagined as white? Anyone?

Comment

The entire discussion is ridiculous, Elba would be great as James Bond. And so would lots of other surprising choices. The entire franchise is essentially petrified wood at this point, they should have the balls to do something interesting.

Comment

Wow.
                    Wow indeed.

Comment

What does this mean? Is there a limit to the number of possible characters or something? And since blacks are about 13% of America's population (and even less in England) why do they need to be 70% of the characters we see in movies?

Also, many of those "good white characters" you mention have already been appropriated by black actors:
                      Robert Neville in I Am Legend: white in the book, black in the most recent (and worst) movie version.
                      Red in The Shawshank Redemption: white in the book, black in the movie.
                      Creasy in Man on Fire: white in the original, black in the remake.
                      Robert McCall in The Equalizer: white in the original show, black in the movie.
                      Jim West in Wild Wild West: white in the original show, black in the movie.
                      Annie: at least they kept the villains white.
                      Nick Fury: apparently white in the comics, black in the movies.

Captain America: just been re-imagined as black in the comics.

Heimdall: obviously white in Nordic mythology, cast as Elba in the movies.

Felix Leiter: white in the books, black in the most recent Bond movies.

Moneypenny: white in the books, black in the most recent Bond movies.

Hercules: white in mythology, non-white in the recent movie.

Conan the Barbarian: white in the books, non-white in the recent movie.

Not to mention The Karate Kid, the Manchurian Candidate, Death at a Funeral, The Nutty Professor, and probably a million others.
                      The fact that you can name them (and add "non white" as you need to add more weights to your argument) is the problem. I think you didn't understand what I wrote. Year by year, there are great roles created for white actors. Look at the blacklist, at specs that have been sold , movie produced based on IP, TV series and such. The leads are mainly white. There aren't as many good lead for for black actors, hence the need -in the IP era- to use white character. We could also argue that most of the time, it doesn't change a thing to switch the "race", story wise.

Which black "lead" role do you know, aside from Shaft?

Plus, you mainly named Will Smith and Denzel, people who are "hot" not because of their skin colour, but because they are awesome.

I think Idris will be a great Bond. Ladies love him. Guys like him. He's James Bond already. He's one of the few cats that are plain cool. Like Chow Yun Fat in his youth.
                      The question is : Do you work in the business?

Comment

Most of that is entirely irrelevant, as no one is preventing screenwriters from writing specifically-black characters.

Most lead roles are white? Maybe that's because most of the country is white, and England even more so?

Elba is Bond because he can wear a tuxedo and people apparently like him?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sit...tuxedo_a_p.jpg

Alex Trebek IS James Bond! Wears a tux, is likable, and would be an expert at everything from all the knowledge he acquired from hosting Jeopardy. The villain can be played by Sean Connery, of course.

Comment

If Shaft or Elba's Luther were cast by white actors and blacks started rioting, I think you would understand why they'd be angry.
                          Nope. I still don't care. If they're good actors doing a good script, I'm fine.

Comment

Wow indeed.
                            I think he's mostly commenting on your choice of words. "Blacks started rioting." Really?

Comment

Now, can someone cite a single example of a black character being re-imagined as white? Anyone?
                              Yeah. They're called minstrel shows. Big in the 1800s. Not so much anymore.

Comment

Nope. I still don't care. If they're good actors doing a good script, I'm fine.
                                I'm sure you'd be fine with it, but that wasn't my point. If they did re-imagine Shaft as a white NYC cop I'm sure you would understand widespread black anger at the decision.

Yeah. They're called minstrel shows. Big in the 1800s. Not so much anymore.
                                Minstrel shows had white actors in blackface, not white actors playing white characters that were originally meant to be black.

Comment

Working...
                                X