X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oh Dog, here we go again...

Originally posted by madworld View Post
    I would even be game for another 00 just to see something different. Let's see a Maggie Q 008 movie and maybe they can build a complete universe.
    A Marvel-universy shift?
    Great idea!
    The question is : Do you work in the business?

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
      Exactly. So we can't do anything that wasn't in the original Ian Fleming stories. Any villain, gadget, or love interest that does not perfectly match up with the original material is null and void. How dare James Bond drive a car that was made after 1966? Than it is not a true James Bond movie and should be thrown in the garbage.
      The plots, gadgets, etc. change, but Bond himself stays the same. That's why the series has always been successful.

Originally posted by madworld
      I would be much more concerned about coming up with a fresh story for Bond because everything feels derivative at this point.
      If anything, the recent Bond films have been too obsessed with shaking things up for its own sake. I wouldn't mind a traditional, unapologetic Bond movie, as we haven't had one since the 90s.

I would even be game for another 00 just to see something different. Let's see a Maggie Q 008 movie and maybe they can build a complete universe.
      This isn't Marvel comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Takeshiro View Post
        A Marvel-universy shift?
        Great idea!
        Or not.

But selfishly, it would be my preference to see something new that doesn't involve a cape or mask. In truth I'd prefer completely new I.P.s altogether, and get to see something other than retread ground.

Hardly anyone is making anything new. For example, I like Rian Johnson a lot. I know he will do an amazing Star Wars film and of course, it's Star Wars so who wouldn't want to crack that. But if I had a preference, it would be to see his original works because I like originality more than nostalgia, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by entlassen View Post
          The plots, gadgets, etc. change, but Bond himself stays the same. That's why the series has always been successful.

If anything, the recent Bond films have been too obsessed with shaking things up for its own sake. I wouldn't mind a traditional, unapologetic Bond movie, as we haven't had one since the 90s.

This isn't Marvel comics.
          Let's take the genre and films out of the scenario for a second. Marvel has made some cash. Warner Brothers is trying to do the same, as evidenced by their slate. Every studio in town wants I.P.s with multiple movies, so much so that Sony is doing a Sinister Six movie?? But ok, let's take a page out of your book and make less money. You're talking about doing films which are already out there. Why see your version when I can rent it now?

Comment

Originally posted by madworld View Post
            Let's take the genre and films out of the scenario for a second. Marvel has made some cash. Warner Brothers is trying to do the same, as evidenced by their slate. Every studio in town wants I.P.s with multiple movies, so much so that Sony is doing a Sinister Six movie?? But ok, let's take a page out of your book and make less money. You're talking about doing films which are already out there. Why see your version when I can rent it now?
            Are you not aware that the last Bond movie made a billion dollars two years ago?

The Bond series can't have an Avengers-style movie because the Bond series is only about Bond. Iron Man, The Hulk, Captain America, etc. all had their own already-established series before being brought together in The Avengers.

There are no other characters in the Bond series to do that with, unless you think a movie about Moneypenny answering phone calls would be interesting. You'd need to arbitarily invent those characters after 60 years' worth of books and movies. It just wouldn't work.

When Die Another DAy was released they contemplated doing a spin-off series starring Halle Berry's irritating character but it was shot down because everyone hated the idea.

People see Bond movies for Bond. They can see car chases and explosions in any other action franchise. They see Bond movies for the unique style, humor, and elan the protagonist brings with him. With the exception of a few films, the Bond formula has remained in tact, because it works.

Comment

Are you not aware that the last Bond movie made a billion dollars two years ago?

The Bond series can't have an Avengers-style movie because the Bond series is only about Bond. Iron Man, The Hulk, Captain America, etc. all had their own already-established series before being brought together in The Avengers.

There are no other characters in the Bond series to do that with, unless you think a movie about Moneypenny answering phone calls would be interesting. You'd need to arbitarily invent those characters after 60 years' worth of books and movies. It just wouldn't work.

When Die Another DAy was released they contemplated doing a spin-off series starring Halle Berry's irritating character but it was shot down because everyone hated the idea.

People see Bond movies for Bond. They can see car chases and explosions in any other action franchise. They see Bond movies for the unique style, humor, and elan the protagonist brings with him. With the exception of a few films, the Bond formula has remained in tact, because it works.
              You're making a lot of assumptions about what's interesting to other people. There are inventive ways to introduce new characters, and platforms for new characters. But why be inventive when we can just do the same thing?

It appears white Bond is the only elan you will accept.

I stand by my opinion. Your version exists. Sure it worked in the past. The character wouldn't be around if it didn't work. But there's just no reason for me (personally) to go to the theater to see your version when I can rent existing movies. If you think you can coast just because it's an established I.P., then I'm just not interested.

Comment

From the lips of Rush Limbaugh:

"He was white and Scottish, period. That is who James Bond is," Limbaugh said, adding: "I know it's racist to probably even point this out."

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-30594460
                I guess he deserves points for admitting it's a racist thing to say.
                Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Wow. This is dragging on.

Hey. All whatever aside. I'm as big a racist, sexist, and homophobe as Rush Limbaugh -- even if I'm not the same level of stone drug addict and warthog to go along with it -- and I ask you...

ISN'T IDRIS ELBA MORE WHAT YOU THINK OF, WHEN YOU THINK OF THE PERSONA OF JAMES BOND, than freaking DANIEL CRAIG?

I don't care if the actor Craig is some derivation of Scottish. I'm about a third Scotch, and Idris Elba is hells more of a Bond than I am, that's for sure.

Not only that, (if you want to be racist), I think he's closer to being the Bond character than Pierce Brosnan, (too Irish), Roger Moore (too English), and/or freaking Timothy Dalton (too Welsh). Never mind George Lazenby.

I believe the only reason we even think this way is because Connery was such a perfect Bond, and he's Scottish and Bond's half Scottish, etc. etc. But no sooner did Connery nail down the franchise than he got the hell away from it so as not to be typecast forever. Which was wise.

And that's another thing you can say about Elba. However successful he may be at the role, he certainly won't be typecast into it. Or if he is -- only until the next big role arrives....
                  Last edited by Max Otto Schrenck; 12-31-2014, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I just want to add that when I saw Mission Impossible 3, Maggie Q and Keri Russell both stood out to me and were so convincing that they went on to their own spy series. I would love to see a movie with a 008 woman at the helm.

Comment

Schrenck, I don't think your post makes any sense, but to answer your question: no, Elba is not what I have in mind when I think of James Bond. I can't see him being tech-savvy, multilingual, well-travelled, sharply intellectual or any of that. I can't imagine him having a witty but tense conversation with the villain at a dinner table. I can't imagine him detecting a double agent due to his bad taste in wine. To be honest it would seem rather farcical to me.

Comment

Have you seen any movies with Idris Elba in them, aside from PROMETHEUS? Movies like TAKERS, MANDELA, or -- my favorite -- ROCKNROLLA?

I see the potential for a great Bond there -- far more than any of the other "Bonds" since Connery.

Comment

Schrenck, I don't think your post makes any sense, but to answer your question: no, Elba is not what I have in mind when I think of James Bond. I can't see him being tech-savvy, multilingual, well-travelled, sharply intellectual or any of that. I can't imagine him having a witty but tense conversation with the villain at a dinner table. I can't imagine him detecting a double agent due to his bad taste in wine. To be honest it would seem rather farcical to me.
                          Yessir, iz not so good with the stuffs that takes the brains, like fancy lectronics or speakin a buncha languages! I don't know nuttin bout no wine or witty talk! But ifn you need someone to shine yo shoes, iz yo man!

Really, is this stormfront?
                          Last edited by BillWilliams12345; 12-31-2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by canela View Post
                            Interesting. I wonder if you or your not-white friend ever read this from 1988 White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack
                            I apologize canela. I read that scholarly insight and felt like I was reading (pun intended) white noise.

Unconscious agendas? I think sc111 already defined straw man arguments, but assuming this is all true, then I'm going to charge this as a broad, all sweeping generalization of white people, thereby doing exactly what it's trying to preach against. It's a logic loop, and hardly more than propaganda referenced best by #13. I can speak in public to a powerful (male) group without putting my race on trial.

I'm not interested in other people's psychobabble and the woulda coulda shouldas. I'm interested in my perceptions only and how I deal with my fellow humans on a case by case basis, judging them on nothing more than how they "mesh" with my "culture" - that culture being a space that surrounds my body in a radius of three feet. If I don't like someone, I don't like them. If I do, I do. If they happen to disagree with my stance on my perceptions, then they are free to walk away. And so am I. It's pretty simple really.

I don't know much about privelege, having lived all my life in rural Appalachia and growing up and living what most people would consider poverty. But I went to school, paying my student loans on the sweat of my labor, raising my kids, buying a car, and owning a home without a single handout nor the expectation of one. I've also been judged on my appearance and the misconceptions that arise. Long hair, heavy metal tee shirts, but still on the honor roll. I changed a few minds with that because I was polite, courteous, and respectful. Whether it stuck or not is not in my power to make happen. That three foot radius extends from me as well as surrounds me. Culture is culture. It has no conscience or moral compass. It's the culmination of the work of individuals who change things in small strokes, not in bold sweeping agendas or assumptions.

One last thing to point out that just came to mind. That paper was written in 1988, some 20 or so years out of the Civil Rights movement. We now sit at 50 years. Half a century gone by... it could almost be argued that if things are still just as bad as they were then, then it ain't ever gonna get better and we're just gonna have to live with it. But I don't believe things are truly like that, and I still hold to the belief that there are hangers on that need things to be just as bad to give them purpose.

Oh... just to be clear... I think Idris Elba would make a fine James Bond, but I also think it's a little out of character. What's wrong with making a new character for Elba's shoes to fill. Wouldn't that be bad ass to finally have a new icon for all the kids to want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                              You or I may not harbor racial bias in our hearts, however we're lying to ourselves if we think we represent the majority of white people.
                              Unfortunately, you are probably right.

Comment

Okay it is seeming a lot like you just don't like black people.

Comment

Working...
                                X