Clear All

• Re: Oh Dog, here we go again...

I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChadStrohl View Post
      Why?
      Tell me what this thread is achieving, beyond a pointless "my dick is bigger" argument.

I thought this place was better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by evan_g View Post
        Tell me what this thread is achieving, beyond a pointless "my dick is bigger" argument.

I thought that long ago. Then a mod came in and accused nativeson of supporting segregation. At this point we may as well accept this will go on forever and maybe a few of us are not where we want to be in our careers because we spend valuable time on the most productive of hobbies, internet debates.

I do hope Elba gets it if only so Mike Myers does Austin Powers 4 in blackface.

Comment

Originally posted by evan_g View Post

It's one thread of hundreds. Does it have to achieve anything? People here may not always see eye to eye, but I hope we all agree (as writers) it's wrong to silence a single voice or else we're asking for our own voice to be silenced.

Comment

Originally posted by ChadStrohl View Post
            It's one thread of hundreds. Does it have to achieve anything? People here may not always see eye to eye, but I hope we all agree (as writers) it's wrong to silence a single voice or else we're asking for our own voice to be silenced.
            I agree. I also think it's great because we get to have it on record that certain forum members have made comments like this:

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
            I do hope Elba gets it if only so Mike Myers does Austin Powers 4 in blackface.
            It's beautiful when people expose the way they think, enabling others to take it into account in future correspondence.
            "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

This should have been locked a while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                I agree. I also think it's great because we get to have it on record that certain forum members have made comments like this:

It's beautiful when people expose the way they think, enabling others to take it into account in future correspondence.
                It's Comedy, relax. Lethal Weapon 5 and 6 taught me how to sensitively use blackface.

Comment

Originally posted by entlassen View Post
                  Unequalproductions:

Okay, find me some Hollywood movies where the central gimmick involves a white hero killing blacks. Bonus points if that white actor later got up on a stage and joked about how great it was that he killed all the black people in the movie.
                  Ah, yes. Out of my entire comment, this is the one thing you pull out to respond to. Nothing about me talking about a white Shaft, which you continue to go on about for pages.

Why don't you give me one "kill whitey" movie that doesn't have to do with slavery? Or another similar dynamic where these "whiteys" are deserving of a revenge story. This isn't just about "how many white people can I kill."

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                    Ah, yes. Out of my entire comment, this is the one thing you pull out to respond to. Nothing about me talking about a white Shaft, which you continue to go on about for pages.

Why don't you give me one "kill whitey" movie that doesn't have to do with slavery? Or another similar dynamic where these "whiteys" are deserving of a revenge story. This isn't just about "how many white people can I kill."
                    Yeah I thought that seemed a bit strange. Only Django came to mind and pretty much every guy who was killed in that film had it coming.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
                      Yeah I thought that seemed a bit strange. Only Django came to mind and pretty much every guy who was killed in that film had it coming.
                      Yeah, it's like watching "Saving Private Ryan" and saying "Oh, another movie where we kill a bunch of Germans for no reason."

Comment

Originally posted by 60WordsPerHour View Post
                        Why, exactly, have you got "culture" in quote marks? What is that supposed to highlight? Care to explain?
                        Because Shaft had more to do with the culture and attitude of 70s NYC than anything rooted in African traditions. Unless Shaft was seen in one of his movie praying to the rain gods or something.

And do whatever you want with Shaft.
                        I don't want to do anything with his character, that's the point.

As I've said, its essence is very specific.
                        So is Bond's. That's why they haven't changed the character in over 60 years, through all the films and books that even other authors have written. A modern Bond is far more established than a modern Shaft.

Can you, once and for all, explain what a black James Bond would represent to you that a white James Bond does or doesn't.
                        A black Bond would naturally have to represent African immigration into England, not the native (yes, white; whites are natives as well, believe it or not) English themselves. That pretty much negates the point of the character.

Now maybe you can explain, once and for all, what a white Shaft would represent that a black one does or doesn't.

Originally posted by UnequalProductions
                        I only "continue to go on" because you do. You guys should have conceded the argument pages ago.

If it's about racial vengeance then would you welcome an action movie that takes place in 1804 Haiti, after the blacks there exterminated the entire white population and the plot revolved around a white man who goes around brutally killing blacks by the dozens as payback for his murdered family? Something tells me Hollywood would never accept that, even if all the blacks "deserved" it after the genocide they committed.

Comment

Because Shaft had more to do with the culture and attitude of 70s NYC than anything rooted in African traditions. Unless Shaft was seen in one of his movie praying to the rain gods or something.

I don't want to do anything with his character, that's the point.

So is Bond's. That's why they haven't changed the character in over 60 years, through all the films and books that even other authors have written. A modern Bond is far more established than a modern Shaft.

A black Bond would naturally have to represent African immigration into England, not the native (yes, white; whites are natives as well, believe it or not) English themselves. That pretty much negates the point of the character.

Now maybe you can explain, once and for all, what a white Shaft would represent that a black one does or doesn't.

I only "continue to go on" because you do. You guys should have conceded the argument pages ago.

If it's about racial vengeance then would you welcome an action movie that takes place in 1804 Haiti, after the blacks there exterminated the entire white population and the plot revolved around a white man who goes around brutally killing blacks by the dozens as payback for his murdered family? Something tells me Hollywood would never accept that, even if all the blacks "deserved" it after the genocide they committed.
                          Ah, so black culture in 70s New York should be in quotes because it's not a real culture like Scottish culture. Got it.

Yes. Like James Bond's ancestors who sprung magically from the Earth in Scotland. They didn't come from anywhere else. But a black man, no matter how long his family has lived in the United Kingdom still isn't a native.

But the bottom line is that none of us are allowed to argue with Entlassen because he understands completely how Hollywood works. See that last paragraph. That movie would never get made by anyone, and Entlassen knows for sure. Which studio do you head?

Comment

Should I just copy and paste my last comment about white Shaft, or are you just going to skip over it again without reading?

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                              Should I just copy and paste my last comment about white Shaft, or are you just going to skip over it again without reading?
                              The latter. You must have figured out this is not a discussion any more. It's not even a debate. Why bother responding to him?
                              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                                The latter. You must have figured out this is not a discussion any more. It's not even a debate. Why bother responding to him?
                                Because I'm bored at work

Comment

Working...
                                X