No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Most Violent Year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o87gG7ZlEAg

I liked it but was kind of disappointed. I was expecting a great crime flick or mob movie. Instead, this is more of a morality tale.

Oscar Isaac was phenomenal and so was Jessica Chastain, but the movie still felt like a let down. My expectations might have been to high.

I'm huge on crime flicks, was hoping this would be the next great one. Especially since it's getting such big acclaim.

Also it talked about how 1981 was the most violent year in NY. I wanted to see more violence at play. Especially since they focused on that era in particular. The violence didn't have to even come from Abel (Oscar Isaac) just needed to come from somewhere, so I could feel the threat of danger in the air.

Re: A Most Violent Year

He was threatened in every direction -- his home and his business were under attack, violently as well as psychologically, legally and financially. To me, that's more that enough pressure. I'm seeing this movie being compared to Sydney Lumet's. But we each have our own taste.

Comment

I guess I was expecting more of a crime film/gangster film. As there hasn't been a good one in a little while. I was disappointed that this wasn't that. Still a good film though.

Comment

^^^^^ totally agree

Comment

I read the screenplay. I was like what?? If I gave that to a reader or studio, they'd say...no thanks.
          I will not fall into despair! I will keep myself hearty, till freedom is opportune!

Comment

I just saw this one --really liked it. I can see how the title lends itself to expecting more violence. But I thought it was an interesting take on the American dream -- even in the smaller notes with his young, scared driver. Telling him to speak English. Telling him no, he still has to drive when he asked to be a sales rep -- and then you see that the sales reps are all lily white. And all the while he is that kid, or used to be.

Strong acting -- Oscar Isaac reminded me of Pacino ala Godfather.

Comment

Bored out of my skull. Did NOT get it. Neither did most working reps I know.
              ScriptGal
              Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
              Fifteen Years Development Experience
              http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

Working...
              X