No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mad Max 4

Half baked.

It's not clear whether it's Furiosa's plan that's half baked or whether the filmmakers started filming a movie with tons of REPETITIVE action and a story/plot that was half baked.

Spoilers.

From opening something was off. We see cool looking Max and his even cooler looking car. The car speeds along, we get close ups of the super charger and everything and suddenly these pursuit vehicles catch Max and crash him so easily it's a shame. So this version of Mad Mad can't drive very well and has a slow car? Wft? Then don't tease with close ups of the super charger.

then there's Furiosa and her band of women who are going to drive motorcycles 160 days across the wasteland without a fuel tanker and water tanker? Really? How far do these women think a motorcycle can go on one tank of gas? now I'm thinking Furiosa is a ****ing idiot with these dumb ass plans of hers. It's hard to root for the idiot.

And then they commit the cardinal sin, one of my worst pet peeves in storytelling, they turn around and go back the way they came. No! I hate that. It's like saying to the audience, now that we've wasted 90 minutes of your life showing you REPETITIVE ACTION sequences, we have no idea where to go next, so we're just going to turn around and go back and show you more of those same action sequences until the movie's over. Thanks for coming.

If I'm going to follow a narrative, please don't take me on a journey to nowhere, just to show the same carnage over and over. They drove down the road smashing and bashing, then turned around drove back smashing and bashing. The bad guy died along the way.

The trailer was better than the movie, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by 60WordsPerHour View Post
      And you don't have to have an elaborate character setup to engage me. As an example let's use... the original Mad Max. You don't even fully SEE Max until he gets out of the car after chasing down the Night Rider. He's said all of about 6 quiet words into the police radio. But you know a hell of a lot about him just by the way he calmly prepares, drives like a demon, and the expression on his face as he looks at the flaming wreck of the NR's car. I got more out of that Max in around 4 minutes than I did in this one's 120.
      Originally posted by JaGra View Post
      Spoilers.

From opening something was off. We see cool looking Max and his even cooler looking car. The car speeds along, we get close ups of the super charger and everything and suddenly these pursuit vehicles catch Max and crash him so easily it's a shame. So this version of Mad Mad can't drive very well and has a slow car? Wft?
      YES! Thank you. A perfect explanation for the hollowness I felt with this new Max. Maybe there is an objective reality in screenwriting after all. I still think some of the character development people remember from the old films trickled into this new one. I'd like to get an opinion from someone has never seen the old Max films to check this theory.
      I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

why MM: Fury Road is great precisely because it doesn't give a **** about the "rules"

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2015...into-roadkill/

Comment

Or...

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/..._max_hell_yeah

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
            why MM: Fury Road is great precisely because it doesn't give a **** about the "rules"[/url]
            What you call rules, another person calls basic storytelling.
            Also, that article is just a fan pumping his fist in the air and going THIS MOVIE WAS FREAKIKNG AWESOME!!!!! Okay. I can't argue with that. If you liked it, fantastic. It's great when people like the films Hollywood puts out. I think people look for different things when they watch a movie and, for me, it has to be more than a lot of action and a thin story/characters to accompany it.
            Last edited by omovie; 05-30-2015, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post

e.g., imagine that you learned that someone you had known reasonably well for over a decade had raped someone who was passed-out-drunk back in college.

Would you cut off all contact with that person? Stop socializing with them?

Do your answers change if person has been a stand-up guy for you when you needed it, and/or is genuinely repentant, and/or is in a happy relationship with someone who knows about the incident?
              Yes.

I had a close friend that worked as a support care giver to a group of self-sufficient, mentally disabled adults. She helped them shop for their groceries and manage their financial accounts. I admired her.

When I heard that she was arrested for writing checks to herself from those innocent people who trusted her, and relied on her assistance, I never spoke to her again. Thousands of dollars, because she felt she 'deserved it.' She said (not to me) that she hated them. She thought she was better than the people she was paid to support. It wasn't a difficult decision because she wasn't the person I thought she was.

She asked our friend to promise to never tell me, because she knew I wouldn't approve. All I could think was, who the hell would? My ex-husband says, "people make mistakes." My response is simple-- "that's not a mistake, it's a character flaw."

And Polanski should have kept his ass here, and paid for his admitted crime. I don't care how brilliant a film maker you are-- I won't support anyone who knowingly harms another person.

Now, to Mad Max

I thought it was amazing-- from the story, to the plot, to the characters to the action, to the acting. I was on the edge of my seat, tensed up the entire time.

I loved that the dialogue was sparse, so much more was said with their eyes and body language. When you know what a character is thinking or feeling with a look or a movement-- that's when you know you're in good hands.
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Mindless action. Zero story. Max could have been anyone. He's all out for himself and suddenly he's all out for everyone. For no reason.

I felt zero compassion for anyone in the story. I cheered for no one. I didn't care about anyone. Except maybe Nuc. There's a lesson to be learned here.

Great sets, some visionary stuff going on, otherwise.

JaGra had a point I wanted to make, I feel the same way:

Originally posted by JaGra View Post

And then they commit the cardinal sin, one of my worst pet peeves in storytelling, they turn around and go back the way they came. No! I hate that. It's like saying to the audience, now that we've wasted 90 minutes of your life showing you REPETITIVE ACTION sequences, we have no idea where to go next, so we're just going to turn around and go back and show you more of those same action sequences until the movie's over. Thanks for coming.
                Screenwriting is like stripping. You don't just dump your clothes on the floor. You tease as you go. And then you get screwed in a back room for money. - Craig Mazin

Comment

Originally posted by Pipe View Post
                  Mindless action. Zero story. Max could have been anyone. He's all out for himself and suddenly he's all out for everyone. For no reason.

I felt zero compassion for anyone in the story. I cheered for no one. I didn't care about anyone. Except maybe Nuc. There's a lesson to be learned here.

Great sets, some visionary stuff going on, otherwise.

JaGra had a point I wanted to make, I feel the same way:
                  I felt the same way after the first viewing. However, after watching it a 2nd time and just enjoying it as a pure action film, I now love it.

How you negatively react to a film has a lot to do with how wide the gap is between expectation and result. The first watch I was expecting a Gibson-like character-driven film and a tremendous story. Naturally, I was very disappointed. The second time around I had lost all of those expectations.
                  I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Finally saw this on PPV last night. One of the best action films I have seen in a while.

I came in expecting to see some awesome stunts and serious ass-kicking. I was not disappointed. Holy cow. And then there were all those extra touches like the war-boy with the guitar, the chrome-spraying, the pole-jumpers, the crow-people on stilts, the bad guy's Predator-looking oxygen mask...

Max didn't have much of a character arc in FR, but the same is true for TRW and BT. FR also relied on the previous movies for backstory, like TRW and BT. One quibble: not sure why they used flashbacks of that unknown girl when they could have used Max's own kid from the first MM movie.

I agree that FR is really Furiosa's story. The story is told from her point of view. She is in charge, makes all of the key decisions, and has the biggest stakes. But that's okay, because "Mad Max" is not a franchise about just one character. It's a franchise about a particular dystopian world, like the "Godfather" franchise, or the "Bourne" franchise.

Now that the ice has been broken, more characters can tell their stories about survival in the Mad Max universe. And it will be awesome.

Comment

• Re: Mad Max 4

Caught it with my son on Xbox. Except for a few moments of clarity, the dialogue was... let's call it "mumblecore apocalyptic." The heavy metal vehicle chases and colorized comic book CGI were impressive, but halfway through it started to feel like a highlight reel. Overall, the plot and goal held together by a thread, enough to make it worth the 2 hours and $4.99 rental.

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
                        it started to feel like a highlight reel.
                        If it's not real-time, it IS a highlight reel.

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
                          If it's not real-time, it IS a highlight reel.
                          Got it. I was referring specifically to the repetitive nature of the chases/crashes/explosions - both outward bound, and on the return trip. However, the artistry and technical mastery required to produce such spectacles should not be overlooked.

Comment

I adored the film. I didn't know what to make of Hardy as Max... you have to keep in mind I'm fond enough of his work... but he was pretty boring here. Not blaming him, it was a combination of his back seat charactering and the fact that he just can't glower and be deeply hurt in a passive sense like Mel Gibson. I don't know who the hell I'd have cast.

Doesn't matter, as stated several times it's definitely Furiosa's movie, and Theron demolished it. One of the upcoming Mad Max films is rumored to be called Furiosa, that makes complete and total sense.

And you know what? Maybe the MRAs felt they were victims of a shadow conspiracy to get a feminist tract forced upon them, but having female characters on screen with stuff happening around them in a meaningful fashion meant I could take a date and she was completely, madly into it.

Mad Max has been to my 2015 what Whiplash was to my 2014. Favorite.

Comment

Working...
                            X